ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent - front hub flange!

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Afternoon all,

I had a slightly dodgy wheel bearing when I went to Donington last Tuesday. It quickly became very dodgy, as a result of which as well as the knackered bearing I now have two broken wheel studs, a broken wheel and a broken hub flange. I guess that'll teach me.

Studs, wheel and bearing are sorted, but renault want £191 for the flange. Can I get one anywhere cheaper than this?

The car's a 172 Cup, so I think the hub (and maybe the flange) is different from a standard 172 - am I right?

Thanks

Tom.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
I might try some renault breakers, but I was hoping someone on here might have one 2nd hand. Otherwise it looks like I'll have to go to Dick Turpin Renault down the road.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
this is the exact warning i was talking about not to long ago when leaving wheel bearings for too long. Drive flange is around about that price mate....and even if you find a second hand one, youll need to check there is no wear from the bearing....and try and get the bearing off it without causing any damage. Persoanlly if u can afford it bite the bullet. failing that scrappy it is.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Think I'll probably get a new one then. I want to keep the car right and I haven't compromised on any other bits. Shame to spend the money though as I was thinking about selling it!

Clio 172 Cup
hi fella i have a 172 cup and had a faulty wheel bearing wouldn't mind but ive only done 18000 miles from new i ignored if for a bit then it went from slighlybad to real bad i less than a 1/4 mile end resul wheel came flying off while doing about 60 now need mew wheeel flane, wheel, wheel studs, wing, bearing, arch linings, side skirt and the passenger door needs abit of work doing.

back to the question was face with the same prices youve had finally found one NEW for £40 euro car parts give it a go mate. and good luck.

oh and new brake disc aswell as this took must of pain.

Last edited:
  Silver Clio 172 Cup
Sorry to hear that BB, sounds like I got off very lightly, especially since I was doing about 90 through Craner Curves at the time....

I will ring euro car parts tomorrow. thanks for that. Exactly what I needed to hear.

Cheers

Tom.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Oh, len - I can't describe the hub flange as I haven't taken it to bits but I'm sure someone else will be along soon...

Clio 172 Cup
No problem fella that was the only place ifound to sell that part at a sensible price but when you get it you will see why it costs a bit there is probably a lot of machining involved in the production as it pushes onto the end of the drive shaft also oreder quick as delivery will be about 1 week got mine last night.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Should have - but I'm stuck at home with laryngitis at the minute - I can't speak! Looking at this between checking my work emails!

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
The drive flange is basically what the wheel bearing sits around and what the drive shaft feeds through. basically its a 3d t shape. Hard to decribe.

Look at the pic - its a tad generic, but youll get the idea. The drive shaft feeds through the centre. Wheel bearing on the outside.

2005_015_500.jpg

1.6 Astra ... R.I.P. 182
ive just had to replace both my front flanges + bearings. cost a fair whack. ended up getting the brakes all replaced at the same time.

cost me £800 for the 2 replacement wheel flanges, bearings and bolts to be rebuilt.

ive got the part numbers and prices for the flanges, bearings and bolts if required ?

Silver Clio 172 Cup
I've just ordered thanks Ross - have to wait 3-5 days for the flange though (stop sniggering at the back there).

Clio 172 Cup
did you get from euro parts or some where else what you pay in the end oh sorry to hear bout the sore throat.

Silver Clio 172 Cup
Yep - ordered from Euro. Should have been in stock for £48 plus VAT & delivery, but they didn't have them in so £61 plus VAT & delivery (not sure why, but they're the only place I can get them and its waaay cheaper than Renault who wanted £192 plus VAT).

The throat'll be fine in no time. My sign language and miming is improving too, so I guess I'm learning new skills.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Its a common problem on all cars for the wheel bearing to spin on the drive flange once the wheel bearing fails. Thats when it gets costly to turn the music up louder to fix problems :p

Good luck getting it sorted!