ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help Needed!! - Immobliser Knackered

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Bit of a problem! walked out of work tonight to find that i couldnt get into my car, i pressed the key a number of times but nothing so i unlocked the door with the key itself an checked the fuses, i checked the fuses under the engine bay aswel. I then went an bought replacment batteries for the key just incase it was them.

All fuses were fine, new batteries were in key. Sensor has never been touched or messed with but still nothing! couldnt start the engine and had to be towed home.

Anyone know what could be wrong?? And also seein as its been winding me up for ages can the immobiliser be disconnected?? (but if its disconnected will the central locking still work) and if so how easy is it to do??

Cheers All

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Nobody knows anything!! I was thinkin about it earlier and i thought maybe the code in the key has been scrambled so how can i re code the key?? or is it a renault job?

RARE Unmolested Corsa sxi
renault only to recode the key im afraid. Tried re-syncing the key?

Do a search on here, its been mentioned a couple of times before.

It seems that for it to just stop working like that, the key may be at fault and a resync may fix it. Cheapest way to start looking for a solution anyway!

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Yeh its a standard fitted immobiliser on a mk1 and no i dont have a key hole in the glove box. I was hoping i could resynch the key, after a few searches on here i found nothing but on google i noticed a few people mentioned an override code for the immobiliser system. This worth a go?

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Breakdown guy has been and gone, nothing he could do which i expected. Said its a Renault Diagnostics job, anyone know how much this costs and how long it will take?

corsa ecoflex
I know when i had my mk valver the key box for the alarm was located in the scuttle area,next to the engine fuse box..could be there thats your problem if you have a standard alarm/immobiliser

Mk1 Maxim Sport
looked in the fuse box near the enigne but not looked under the scuttle panel, what do i need to do to the "key box" ??

And does the sensor run off a seperate battery to the main car battery?? if so where is this located as i have a feeling it may be this that needs sortin, the key is fine (sending a signal) and the engine and dash an everything else works its just the immobiliser stoping the engine from kicking in so got a feeling the sensor is knackered.

You need a key to put into the box in the scuttle panel. I think the key thing that I mentioned in the glove box relates to something else for the alarm (as you don't have it you have no worries)

I'd consider getting an alarm dude to disconnect all of the factory gear & getting a cat 2 immob installed, other than that a cat 1 alarm on it.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
well just towed it down to renault round the corner so its currently sat on their forecourt and ill be there at 8am tommorow waiting for them to arrive. I had a cat 1 cobra alarm on my old mk1 but i had problems with that all the time aswel, had to resynch the fobs for that about 3 times.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
Renault have just told me its gona be £211 for a new decoder box inc 2 new keys and £150 labour!!!! thats a third of what i paid for the car!!!

Anyone know any other solutions?? Is there anyone who knows anyway of disconnecting the immobiliser or any auto electricians thatl do it??

A cat 1 alarm costs about £300 or so fitted from a proper installer, a cat 2 immob is a lot cheaper than that. An alarm dude will disconnect all of the factory gear.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
wats the difference in categories??

A mate of mine may be disconnecting the immobiliser for me tommorow as hes amazing at his auto electrics, so mite just get it disconnected for now and look into gettin a proper alarm wen funds are available

Mk1 Maxim Sport
ahh rite, that must av bin wat i ad on me old mk1, was a cobra system, had an alarm and an immobiliser, that went wrong all the time though lol

Think im safer going for the complete scrapping of the immobiliser for the time being.

No worries at all.
I had a Cobra cat 1 fitted to my valver years & years ago (standard renault one wasn't category anything at all) It cost me £300 or so & it never went wrong once. Good alarm imo.

BMW M135i
Sunroof and does it leak? That usally knackers the ir sensor as its up by the rear view mirror, i'm not sure how'd you go about removing the immobisiler as iirc its intergrated into the ecu?

I'm sure you can get away with just changing the sensor which should be much cheaper, first thing would be to get it out and have a look at its condition imo.