ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed please!!!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I've managed to pick up a virus somehow on my work computer and need to sort it badly!

Basically it won't let me open any files/programs.
I use an automatic backup hard drive thing but even that won't run. Obviously I've tried system restore but no luck with that either.

Anyone got any ideas how to get it sorted?!

Run Malwarebytes, CCleaner and SuperAntiSpyware.

What virus scanner do you have? Get Avast.

You say nothing will run, is that the only problem? Have you right clicked on the non running file and selected 'run as administrator'?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I'm a bit of a r****d when it comes to this type of thing to be honest so I struggle with it!

It won't let me connect to the web either, or wasnt earlier on, so I'm struggling with that!
It is the only problem as far as I'm aware, the computer is basically used for 1 thing, running our 5 Axis machine, then last weekend it just wouldn't open any programs etc. I'vew got AGV virus thing.

I'll give the run as administrator thing a go and see how I get on.

I'll report my findings in a bit but please feel free to leave any advice!

It sounds like you have picked up one of the fake virus scanners that tells you everything on your PC is infected when it isn't. The first step should be to find the name of the virus and then Google it, there will be removal instructions for most of them.

Alternatively, this should work for a number of them:
1) Boot into safe mode with networking (tap f8 as the pc is booting)
2) If your Internet isn't working then go to the Control Panel and open Internet Options.
3) Under the connections tab click the Lan Settings button, make sure a Proxy isn't being used as this is likely to be the problem.
4) Download and run Malwarebytes

That should be enough to get you up and running in most cases.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Im going to jump in to this thread instead of making a new one.
I've also got a virus, not sure what it is but it won't let me open my control panel or run cc cleaner. I have been running Microsoft security essentials but its managed to get through.
A screen comes uo with a list if viruses and then tells me i need to buy the premium from their site. Never clicked on it as it looks dodgy as hell.
I would back up all my pictures/docs etc but imo not sure if the virus would carry over or not.
As im s**t with computers i was wondering if you can run cc cleaner through safe mode? And is it F8 at boot to run it this way?

Cheers.

Edit. Have just re read dazz's post. Will try the latter steps when i get home and see if that works..

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Ring your it support.

I am the IT support ;)

It sounds like you have picked up one of the fake virus scanners that tells you everything on your PC is infected when it isn't. The first step should be to find the name of the virus and then Google it, there will be removal instructions for most of them.

Alternatively, this should work for a number of them:
1) Boot into safe mode with networking (tap f8 as the pc is booting)
2) If your Internet isn't working then go to the Control Panel and open Internet Options.
3) Under the connections tab click the Lan Settings button, make sure a Proxy isn't being used as this is likely to be the problem.
4) Download and run Malwarebytes

That should be enough to get you up and running in most cases.

Cheers for the help mate, but didn't see this earlier! I booted into safe mode then managed to do a system restore back to last week, then sorted out my antivirus software, and then did a new backup.
Me 1, Viruses 0.

Im going to jump in to this thread instead of making a new one.
I've also got a virus, not sure what it is but it won't let me open my control panel or run cc cleaner. I have been running Microsoft security essentials but its managed to get through.
A screen comes uo with a list if viruses and then tells me i need to buy the premium from their site. Never clicked on it as it looks dodgy as hell.
I would back up all my pictures/docs etc but imo not sure if the virus would carry over or not.
As im s**t with computers i was wondering if you can run cc cleaner through safe mode? And is it F8 at boot to run it this way?

Cheers.

Edit. Have just re read dazz's post. Will try the latter steps when i get home and see if that works..

What version of windows are you on?

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
What version of windows are you on?

Vista.
Just got it sorted though. Managed to get it to do a restore, scan the files and then update security essentials.

Time to start saving for a mac i think. f**king Bill Gates!

Cheers