ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

URGENT help needed

clio mk2 1.4 16v
Just finished replacing my rear dampers, had taken the car off the axle stands and was tightening up the lower bolts.

Now i had heard these can come loose so they need tightening like a b******! So away i go, after finishing the first one i start on the second and all of a sudden the wrench goes loose in my hands.

Evidently my idea of tight is too tight as i have sheered the **** off and cant get the threaded end out from the arm.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how f'd am i? How can i get it out?

clio mk2 1.4 16v
Tried using a set of grips but couldn't get any purchase. Thankfully an old pair of crap long nose pliers were just small enough to grip it on the other end.

I'm so relieved as i really didn't want to have to drill it. Just hope my local Renault has a bolt available tomorrow morning.

Cheers for your help anyway guys

clio mk2 1.4 16v
I used a torque wrench and as far as i was aware it didnt click, so i guess the bolt must have been faulty as i had set it to the recommended torque specified in the Haynes manual.

Now Sold :-(
Now i had heard these can come loose so they need tightening like a b******! So away i go, after finishing the first one i start on the second and all of a sudden the wrench goes loose in my hands.

Evidently my idea of tight is too tight.

That sounds just like tightening the bolt to the specified torque setting. :nono:

172 cup, Impreza P1
Get 'easyouts' from your local hardware store. They are left hand thread tepered bolts that you drill into the sheared bolt with that eventually grips and removes it leaving the original thread of the hole in tact.

And use a torque wrench to 105Nm next time.