ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

US PS3 - work in the UK??

Megane Trophy
If i was to buy a PS3 in the states would this work in the UK?

Pal NTSC have anything to do with it?

What about the blu ray discs and the games?

Just a thought as it comes out at £300 with the dollar being so weak at the moment!

Megane Trophy
What about the electrical system as i thought the uk was NTSC and the states PAL??

If it will work then il order one ha ha!

SLK 350
It will work fine. You'll need a plug convertor or even better a UK kettle lead (same as your PC uses).

The PS3 will sort out the outputting issue, but unless you're running a 1950's TV it will work at 60hz anyway, so matters not.

Get one, superb piece of kit :D

SLK 350
US equipment won't be covered by Sony UK warranty. There are implications with importing items as they would be subject to import duty. People like yourself aren't aware they will work out of the box.

You said it worked out at £300? Not quite 1/2 price eh? I got mine with 2 games and a movie for £360 on ebay on a new UK model.

Rav4
This is irrelevant, HDMI is a universal connection and not dependent on the TV's electrical components, were as old TV's i.e CRT's the technology behind that was PAL NTSC.

Cutting it short, WILL WORK.

However as stated by the Hoff, the regions could be an issue with DVD's but I am sure it will be resolved ;)

What about the electrical system as i thought the uk was NTSC and the states PAL??

If it will work then il order one ha ha!

Megane Trophy
Someone will surely bring out a region x disc like you could get on the ps2?

£360 where was that then?

I was thinking of bringing about 10 back from the states, and making a little cash on them but if you can get them for £360 with Uk warranty then there isnt much point!!

SLK 350
Trying to make a profit on selling PS3's is going to earn you a big fat loss, there's not the demand because of the price point.

Megane Trophy
So whats the outcome of the PS3?

Its good but when more games are released it will be even better?

And i see hundreds of them on ebay? But is it risky buying them from there as brand new item? Or do i just need to learn to trust people more ha ha!

SLK 350
So whats the outcome of the PS3?

Its good but when more games are released it will be even better?

And i see hundreds of them on ebay? But is it risky buying them from there as brand new item? Or do i just need to learn to trust people more ha ha!

I got mine off of eBay with no problems, just buy from a reputable seller, ask for photos of said items prior to making any payment, use paypal using credit card as your method. If it goes tits up you have the ability to claim back.

Just don't buy if it looks too cheap, or too good to be true. Look at paying £350-£380 for a UK model new.

Superb machine IMO, only thing that needs developing it the PS Store side of things, and the rest is just little touchs here and there (firmware 2.0 will add a lot to the system). Some killer titles wouldn't go a miss though, but theres plenty of good PS2 titles, and good releases like Motorstorm to keep me busy.

Also will Buzz the music quiz game be able to play on the PS3?

All the Buzz! games will play without issue - http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/bcGames.htm

Renault Leguna 2.0 T LTD
ntsc is us
(The National Television Standards Committee was established in 1940 by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), in the United States (US), to resolve the conflicts which had arisen between companies over the introduction of a nationwide analog television system in the U.S.)
(source www.wikipedia.org)
pal is eu (Phase Alternating Line or PAL was developed by Walter BruchTelefunken in Germany. The format was first unveiled in 1963, with the first broadcasts beginning in the United Kingdom and Germany in 1967) (source www.wikipedia.org)

SLK 350
Thanks for your insightful contribution mattjaco, you wouldn't happen to know the price of Cod down at Morrisons would you?

Citroen DS3 DSport
Be sure and remember that you will need to purchase the US PS2 games for use on the US system, it is only the PS3 games which are region free.

Megane Trophy
so opinion is the Ps3 is worth the money and when the Gran Turismo and Pro evo and GTA titles arrives it will be so much better.

Do you have to download updates with it too then?