ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

usb/mp3 decks/dj controller

basically fancy making a few mixes for my ipod when out skating rather than playlists and my mum just asked me what i want for xmas. anyone have any experience with any of these. doesnt need to be serious kit and im looking to spend up to about 200 quid. looked at a few of the hercules kits including the rmx which looks mint. any recommendations would be great :)

thanks

6/468 17poo
Have a go at using Ableton, u can make mixes on that very easily and for advanced users do loads for it, or get traktor and a vci 100 by vestax to control it....

vestax controllers are a bit expensive. i take it ableton is free to download. im more hands on with this kind of thing, i get bored staring at a screen and would rather live mix. i was looking also at the full size turntables to control the mp3 and using the software for firther control but the all in one unit seems ideal, what would you recommend out of those two ideas. the unit i had in mind was either the hercules dj control mp3 e2 or the rmx that i mentioned above.

I have a Hercules DJ MK2, a lot of fun.

thanks mate glad to get first hand feedback on that unit as was seriously thinking of that one and at 100 quid its ideal, do you think the rmx would hold any further benefits as it would be a gift and its in my budget

Octy VRS
The problem with the budget controllers is the lack of touch sensitive jog wheels. The Vestax VCM-100 has them but lacks a built in soundcard, if you have a half decent one onboard/external one it doesn't matter. If you are only starting out and don't think you need touch sensitive wheels then go for the Numark Stealth.
I've had 1210's for 15 years so would prefer the jogs as there is more hands on control. That's why I'd go for the Vestax. They can be had 2nd hand for £250 on Gumtree and well worth the extra cash.

id be running whatever i get on my macbook, which i know has a decent soundcard but would need a multichannel soundcard to sample the mix through my headphones, thats why i liked the look of the hercules and numark. ideally id love to run a small mixer and two digital decks to control but dont know how much that would cost if any of you could point me inthe direction. something like the korg nanokontrol looks cool and are really cheap.

been having a look at decks and mixers on ebay second hand and getting the torq control vinyl by m-audio. meaning i can control the mic using the special vinyls. really liking this option but my only wonder is if the torq system comes with a built in multi channel sound card as i really dont want to go to the expense of buying a good sound card.

Octy VRS
I'd be suprised if it comes with a soundcard unless the system it's £400+. Coded vinyl would be your best option then, didn't know you had decks. Look at Serato Scratch too.

It depends on what you want to do. If you are going Ableton then don't bother with decks or a wheeled midi controller. Just get something like the Korg you posted above, which looks awesome by the way. Also look at http://www.faderfox.de/. They are simple but very, very good and solid. Also check http://www.ableton.com/apc40. Amazing piece of kit for the cash.

I don't have decks but was thnking of getting second hand jobbies off eBay. Had a look at. Ableton but it ends up costin 500 quid to fully set up. How easy would it be mixing with that korg unit tho without jog wheels.

Octy VRS
With Ableton there is no beat matching. You need warped tracks or you have to do them yourself. This puts time markers at specific points in a track. It's easy once done a few times. Then any track you cue up will be in time with another, job done. It sounds lazy but it actually gives you enormous freedom to add style, effects and cuts. You can literally have as many tunes you want cued up and jump and swap between them all.

BMW E92/Audi S3
Dude, I'd start on some cheap vinyls thats how I started.
Best idea, you get the jist of it all thoroughly then.
It's like driving automatic.

reyes thats what im wanting to do, can get second hand decks for like 30 quid sometimes on the bay. but i dont have any vinyls and s**t loads of music on the macbook. thats why im looking at this torq program to control the tunes using a coded vinyl. give it a look and see what you think

i use a black vci 100 with traktor pro, great controller, wouldnt touch hercules with a barge pole, they're piss poor