ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Used slicks or New Parada Spec 2's for track?

As above really.

I can get hold of some fully slick tyres which should last a couple of track days or buy either some Parada Spec 2 or T1R's brand new and know they will last longer but not grip as well.

What are your thoughts guys?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I don't but just checking on the Javelin site, they just recommend you have one. I don't expect the slicks to be 100% in their prime and throwing me into a roll if I lose it or whatever.
Ah ok fair enough mate. Tbh, your more likely to roll from going into gravel traps sideways or onto grass and the car digging in.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
You can buy a lot better than Parada's, I think they are an awful choice for a track tyre.
as for the T1R, they arnt a track based tyre either.

maybe look at intermediate slicks, something along the lines of a 888.

the grip levels of even past there best slick is often far in excess of the semi slick the like of 888's or 048's etc , however they will put huge strain on all suspension components and you will find the brakes are not up to the job either.

If your running full slicks on a standard road setup you will really need to keep an eye on things .

i would recommend a cage but then i think that' for anything that's doing more than the occasional day .

Also just make sure they are radial slicks and not crossply ..... they both need different geo setups

Renault Clio 172 cup
Bite the bullet, part with a little extra,....toyo R1r or yoko ad08R or federal 595 rsr. Paradas are tripe on track and are known for blistering when pushed, and some people wont even use T1R's on the road ( although I found them ok on an old nissan almera I had ) , let alone on a track.
Someone will probably now come on and say that you dont need to go too over the top and any old road tyres will do , but you wont be agreeing with them when you understeer like buggery and wished you'd spent another tenner per tyre.

Last edited:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
R1R overheat, they're a good wet tyre though. RSR need lots of camber or very stiff suspension which compromises the car, they work well on balanced cars like BMW 3 series, MX5 etc.

AD08R would be my choice. Grips well and takes a bit more abuse.

bob the builder

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i always use slicks on track, i just take normal tyres aswell if it rains.
but as said you will need better brakes to go with them and plenty of negative camber

RB197
Thanks for the opinions guys, found the RSR's, R1R's & AD08 for a decent price on Oponeo.

Out of those 3 what would people recommend?
I run RSR's just finished an evening at Donington. I also run 2.3- camber at front, I was very impressed with them they were great! Check on camskill I saw earlier on today they were £57 a corner (195/50/15). If I didn't get another set of F1's for track wheels I'd probably get another set of RSR's. Can't complain for the money (haven't yet used them in wet)

Van
Full slick's on anything other than a properly set up track / race car is lunacy. They will punish ball joints, track rods, top mounts, engine mounts and rubber bushes to the point of failure in absolutely no time.

Thats if you can even drive fast enough on them to keep them hot.

Ph2 172
Slicks will put extra stress on the car as mentioned, though unless the water is standing on the track you should be ok if it rains. I've done many many laps in the wet with them on the M3.