ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using a 172 as a trailer?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Possibly a dumb question, but FailSport are going to Le Mans shortly & need to carry quite a bit of kit ...

Mike's turbo ovlov has a tow hitch, & we have a 172 rolling shell.

Can we just weld a tow bar on the front of the clio (subsequently creating a 'trailer'), wang a copy of the ovlov's number plate on the back of it, fill it with fridge/tent/beers and tow it to France?

Or is there some piece of paperwork that needs to be created in order for a trailer to become a trailer :eek:

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
LOL. And I thought you were kidding!

Mike towing a trailer. This can't end well.....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
You work in finance right?

Do you have to be clever to get into that industry?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
You work in finance right?

Do you have to be clever to get into that industry?

I work in financial sales, dont really need to be brainy, just able to use a calculator & flog stuff. Best cash price, on cash ...

But anyways, back to the 'trailer' - its a genuine question, not something daft like this:

CS1June07.gif

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
People turn rear ends of old cars into trailers all the time after all.....im just not quite sure how we'd stand on the legalities of welding a tow bar on to an old 172 shell and just towing it.
It'll need some sort of braking system for starters....

Panda.

ClioSport Club Member
  850 T5
Sign on't back saying 'vehicle under tow' with a lights & numberplate bar....?

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
You'd need to lock out or get rid of the front wheels as well. The consequences of it going wrong are so great I'd forget about the idea.

Would it not be easier to buy a cheap barge and get someone else to drive.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
You'd need to lock out or get rid of the front wheels as well. The consequences of it going wrong are so great I'd forget about the idea.

Not so. If you tow a car with an A frame and all four wheels on the ground then you need the front wheels unlocked and it'll essentially steer itself. If we towed it with a proper towbar connection then we'd need to lose the front wheels all together.

All in all its simply a pain in the balls. If we got it legal to tow over here it'll still be illegal in Frog Leg Land. And the ferry would charge would go up as well...

Lol at this thread.

Dave we have a Volvo estate, a BMW tourer and an M3 Saloon. We managed last year with smaller vehicles just fine so we'll be alreet. A 172 trailor is a recipe for disaster if it's 'built' by us! Lol

At least the two estates can carry all our gear, then I can asbo it through France in the ///M! ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
A frames are illegal in the uk essentially (other than some very specific exceptions), people just think they arent.

Providing the total trailer weight is under 750kg I think the rules are pretty relaxed on "home builds) so I would have thought once the negine and box and interior are out and hence its light enough that it would be ok to make a trailer from (either by using an a frame or welding a hitch on)

Just bear in mind if you are leaving hte front wheels unlocked (which you will need to for manouvrebility unless using a very long draw bar) that it wont be possible to reverse it basically as it will just jack knife every time you try as with any car on an a frame.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
So, in brief, its illegal and a pain.

Providing the total weight once loaded up with stuff is under 750kg I think it would probably be legal, but you'd definately want to check that out properly before driving across europe with it, lol

330i. E30 Touring.
PMSL.

Don't worry abotu that- if it's deemed illegal once there we'll just unhitch it and leave it. :)

330i. E30 Touring.
Thats already sorted. May i present the Munson rivalling Lolvo RS ;)

IMG_1737.jpg

Well yes, & despite the lack of safety, probably no worse than 'scening' the 330 and sticking a fridge on the roofrack.

PMSL. It actually looks not half bad in that pic.

After slating it the other day, it drives a million times better in the dry.