ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using an iMac as a monitor...?

2.2 bar shed.
Now, eventually my i7 27'' is going become s**t. Now I'd rather not bin it/sell it for pittance as the screen on it is fantastic. Any way you can display 2560x1440 on it? I know you can input 720p onto it from a 360/PS3, but having a monitor that'll display 4x's the resolution than what your inputting is a bit criminal imo....? :/

Summary - Can you input 2560 x 1440 to an iMac?

Monaro VXR
There are issues with the iMac display and it taking native res signals.

It can do it, but it has to be done via display port input. Even then it only likes certain GPU's. If you google it, you will find quite a lot of people pissed off with apples implementation when it comes to input devices. One of the reasons why you can only input 720p as well. Unless you spend a small fortune on external devices to get around it.

I'm interested in the xbox/ps3 compatibility as I may move some things if it works. I'd looked into using my current G5 but had read there were issues relating to video transfer having a delay and making it unusable for gaming. If the newer models will work fine the xbox etc will come out from under the tv in the lounge.

Rav4
Before you waste a lot of money by using it as a monitor, let's address your original problem.

Why "WNow, eventually my i7 27'' is going become s**t" ?

Care to elaborate on the issue?

2.2 bar shed.
Before you waste a lot of money by using it as a monitor, let's address your original problem.

Why "WNow, eventually my i7 27'' is going become s**t" ?

Care to elaborate on the issue?

s**t progresses. My Venice core AMD64 was top of the line at one point and kicked the s**t out of anything else around running a decent overclock on water. That was 6/(7?) years ago. s**t progresses. Monitors dont really change that much...

Fiat Panda 100hp
Just sell it when you won't to upgrade, they will hold a pretty decent price as long as it's looked after.

Rav4
s**t progresses?

Depends on what you are doing and how.

You sound clued up so I will get straight to the point, if you knew the spec before buying it and that it would not match your predecessor, why purchase it, it's a great deal of money. We all know that 'you' can build a similar machine for a fraction of the price, but it would not be the same as a whole package.

Anyhow as BenWall has pointed out, don't upgrade, just sell it.

s**t progresses. My Venice core AMD64 was top of the line at one point and kicked the s**t out of anything else around running a decent overclock on water. That was 6/(7?) years ago. s**t progresses. Monitors dont really change that much...

2.2 bar shed.
Munching video and audio production is processor hungry. Thankfully at some point I can go distributed computing to munch together videos. But for the moment my i7 is enough. But with 4k video on the horizon quad core just isn't going to cut it.

Yes I could've gone dual cpu/8 core self build but quite frankly I couldn't be arsed. Originally I was after a decent large monitor, but then the idea of getting an iMac came up as it gives you a huge monitor, and a decent PC on the cheap. £1700 isnt that much at the end of the day. If I put myself out there I can earn that in a week doing photo shoots. If I moved into weddings then maybe I could do that in a weekend? Sadly being a student im trying to get a decent education, so work comes before money ;).

Anyway, end of the day every PC we buy is going to go out of date at some point? Just after the idea of using it as a monitor down the line as when I come to sell it it'll probably be worth less than the price of a similar quality 27'' monitor?

Monaro VXR
Anyone able to clear up the question about using current iMac's with PS3's or XBOX360's?

720P input only just need the right adaptor, not cheap though if I remember correctly.

To be honest it isn't really worth it. It is only really mean to take input from other macs. Or other GPU's with the correct port.

Last edited:
There's a rather large thread on the MacRumors forum about using the iMac as a display for the 360.