ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

using iPhone abroad

none :(
going away in sept and will be taking my phone for the plane journey, just wondered, so i dont get raped if i use the net what will i need to turn off in my settings ( new to all this so sorry if its obvious ).
i will use the net to check apps such as skysports and my mma app, but this uses data, so will it just use 3g data or will i get raped if its used abroad.

also to get coverage do i need to inform o2 i will be using it abroad

thanks in advance

AK

M240i
Re: using i phone abroad

Have you checked where your going doesn't have WiFi, and where are you going?

Wired internet connection in all guestrooms and wireless internet access in all public areas as well as a Cyber café

going sept 29 - 10 oct

Golf R/Leon FR

Turn Data roaming off, Ive just been to Zante and used my iPhone there. I had trouble getting signal in most places, where as the 3g was fine last year.

It uses a lot of data, they send you a txt when you are abroad, with the cost of using the phone.

so i wont need to ring o2 and tell them i want to use it abroad, i may not use it that much then, no doubt the missus will want to go on fb, looks like ill have to give her a time limit each day lol.

O2 charge something like £3 per 1MB iirc.

In settings, turn Roaming OFF (think it's default anyway). This won't let you get charged for anything over there.

I did turn it on for 10mins, and used just under 2MB looking at 2 websites = £6.

as i say im new to all this, so if i turn roaming off, will i still get charged on 3g or the hotels wifi, as you can tell im not too clued up on this.
im guessing it would be chepaer to use the hotels internet.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.

Turn off cellular data if you're on iOS4, there is a bug in previous versions of the OS which means that it may actually use cellular data when roaming even if you have "data roaming" off.

The "completely turn off cellular data" feature was a new addition in iOS4. You'll still be able to use WiFi when this is turned off.

Citroen DS3 White

Or if you dont mind not getting calls; flight mode on, then turn the wi-fi back on. Essentailly an iPod Touch then, zero charges but if you have skype then you can still call people from wifi.

as i say im new to all this, so if i turn roaming off, will i still get charged on 3g or the hotels wifi, as you can tell im not too clued up on this.
im guessing it would be chepaer to use the hotels internet.

Unless the hotel charge for WiFi, the network will charge you nothing.

If you are using 3G, the network will charge you.