ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V-Maxx Coilovers

Renault Clio 2001 1.2 16v
Has anyone tried the V-maxx coilovers? if so does it give the car comfort when driving?

was thinking about getting some because at the moment my 1.2's suspension is awful, especially when going over bumps.

Coilovers are only worthwhile on a 1.2 if you want to lower the car quite a lot, and if you are after lowness then no matter what you put on it's going to be bumpy.

Charged Superleggera
Coilovers are only worthwhile on a 1.2 if you want to lower the car quite a lot, and if you are after lowness then no matter what you put on it's going to be bumpy.

pretty much summed it up there

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
The ride is harder than standard as you'd expect but it isn't harsh. I use my 172 everyday and don't have any problems with it.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Sportlines on the 172 are pretty-much the same as standard springs in terms of comfort :)

Not bad as they have less bodyroll and a subtle drop

Charged Superleggera
Are Vmaxx firmer than Sportlines?

depends how low you go mate. before i wound mines all the way down they seemed even better than my prolines but now they are much stiffer and tbh i prefer them stiffer as the car feels tighter and more responsive. i dont use the car much so comfort isnt much of an issue but on long jurneys your arse does get sore especially with buckets.

Just I'm wanting a track look height, but still want to use the boot for heavy goods so wondering if the car will drop much with some weight in the back!
(plus my rear wheels may scrub the arches!)

'Berg Sold, Cupra-R
Mine are wound fully down at the back and dont get any scrubage with people in the back.

Charged Superleggera
you might need to take the rear spacers off plummer depending on the offset of your wheels. i wouldnt carry anything heavy for long periouds of time though. ive been through 3 wheel bearings already with carrying heavy loads.

Nah I don't carry much weight at any given time, just a small car kit.
BUT..
I do occasionally carry my 2 guitars and pedal board and maybe 2 basses when I've got band practice say... once a week, and probably have 3 people in the car at that point.
So I get away with it with the Sportlines on, just wondering if I go slightly lower than I am now, will they be firm enough that they won't drop too much?

Charged Superleggera
with fk's i would say maybe but with vmaxx the rear springs are so soft that with even with one person they will go all the way down near enoough and thats what made me get custom springs tbh. at a push i would only take one person but honestly mate i wouldnt carry anyone in the back and i learned that the hard way.

Charged Superleggera
got mines from chewit but ive now changed them to foxy's old ones. do you mean same height as mines or some height as the original coilover spring?

S23

The Cleee-O
I love my V-Maxx's, and I don't find them too hard or anything like that. The rear springs do compress a hell of a lot when you put weight on them though! I can't take anyone in the back of my car now. lol. my wheels are out of the arch though and 8J wide, it scrubs up the sidewall a treat. Ha. I would recommend them personally, car feels a lot more poised then before, and stuck like glue on my steelies even really low! :D

Charged Superleggera
you could get the same height but why would you want that? someone could make you springs that are the same height but they may lower your car more than the vmax coils or they may make it heigher. the important factor to take into consideration is the spring rating, which is basically the amount of weight needed to compress a spring an inch and three things affect the spring rating, which are coil diamter, mean diameter of the whole spring and number of active coils.

but people who make springs eg coilspring take this into consideration when they make you a spring based on how low you asked them you wanted your car. you wont be able to use your adjuster plate so they will be a fixed height unless you send your adjuster plate to coilspring who will probably be able to make you a spring that can take an adjuster just like on deans old clio.

if your getting fk's then there is really no need for custom springs as they go much lower than vmax on the back unless you want to go silly low.

I know don't want the wheel tucked under the arch.

I want it either just level with the top of the tyre or slightly more so it's an even gap around the arch.
And then for it not to drop too much with a bit of weight in the car.

In an ideal world anyway! :D

clio 172 sport
P1010920.jpg

wound all the way down on the rear, settled down a bit more aswel, this was after havin them on a day

yehh shocks are knackered on my 1.2, car goes all over the place.. hopefully V-maxx will make an improvement in handling and comfort

yehh shocks are knackered on my 1.2, car goes all over the place.. hopefully V-maxx will make an improvement in handling and comfort

I don't think you understand how coilovers work, no set of coilies will ever be as comfortable as a new set of standard shocks. Handling will be improved by miles but at the sake of comfort.

sorry mate im quite new to all of this but just wanted to ask is there anyway where i can have comfort as well as a lowering my suspension.. or do you suggest just getting the standard shocks back on

If you're after a bit of both I'd get some new standard shocks and some Eibach sportline springs, from what most people say on here they're not much stiffer than the standard springs but will improve the looks and handling a fair bit.

Charged Superleggera
eibach springs are very good. i would recomend the prolines personally but sportlines are equally good.