ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V-power 99ron

If this is true they would be breaking the law, as they are selling fuel that is not what is says on the tin!

Panthro said:
Hate to piss on your parade guys but the chances are, that none of you are running V Power as of yet, because the Stanlow refinery where Optimax is produced is still running the same process refining setup, and Optimax is still being refined there. It will change over very soon. I know this because I work for an oil and gas company who built the Stanlow refinery.

16v_jon said:
well my first engine was run on optimax all its 22k life and it was still carbonated to fook when i rebuilt it so im guessing the hype is hype

Thats because when you burn hydrocarbons, no matter how much detergent the waste will be..........tada!

The cleaning agent only works on the fuel side of things, and thats the 3" between injector and the back of your valve. So that area is about 1% cleaner than running on normal fuel.....joy.

Anyway, to support efficient combustion you need the correct thickness and density carbon layer over the whole combustion chamber.

Darren555 said:
It isn't a 1 RON increase anyway as Optimax had an average rating of 98.6 RON.

The average (mon/ron) was close to about 92.45 for optimax and 93 for tesco's 99 which had a higher MON rating by 0.1.

Arctic blue 182
Fletch123 said:
The only fuel that i find seems to give me lower lower mpg returns is Tesco 99 god knows why.

Well, I believe it's because it's blended with a load of bioethanol. Great for RON but crap calorific value!

Arctic blue 182
Panthro said:
Hate to piss on your parade guys but the chances are, that none of you are running V Power as of yet, because the Stanlow refinery where Optimax is produced is still running the same process refining setup, and Optimax is still being refined there. It will change over very soon. I know this because I work for an oil and gas company who built the Stanlow refinery.

Well I'm afraid you are wrong. V-Power is a totally different blend. And ALL the Shell UK retail sites had V-Power ready for the national launch.

Dave (chemical engineer, Stanlow Refinery)

wrx sti ppp (305bhp)
jayxx83 said:
I have noticed no notable difference to response and power next to any other super unleaded. Im sure it may make the engine last a little longer in the long run, but in reality its not worth the extra cost. On normal unleaded my 182 returns 29/31 mpg on urban driving and 32-33 mpg with any sort of super inside it. Sainburys super is 93.9 round where I am, so paying 100.9 for V-Power is a waste of money IMO.

Probably would be best to do a remap with the V-Power in to make the most of its power enhancing capabilities, but then you would have to run it all the time.

holy s**t im on 22.2 mpg hmm ...

My 2 cents:

Filled up with V-power Friday night. Drove 460 miles to Cornwall and back over the weekend. Can't say I noticed a difference, although it was dilluted by some BP Ultimate for the last 150 miles or so. The trip did make my exhaust start blowing though, so it must be storming stuff!! :clown:

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
One word for you RE-MAP....! or should i say two. Then give it a go....!

Choose you fuel first mind then stick with it.

Quite a few new Petrol's to choose from:

SHELL V-POWER - 99 RON
BP ULTIMATE 102 - 102 RON (around £2.40 per litre)
BP ULTIMATE UNLEADED - 97 RON
ESSO ENERGY SUPREME - 97 RON
TESCO 99 - 99 RON
TEXACO HIGH OCTANE - 97 RON
TOTAL EXCELLIUM - 97 RON

Info from EVO Oct edition.

They tested BP ULTIMATE on RR after remap and the BHP went up a staggering 48.
The car was PORSCHE GT3 Started at 381.9 BHP on BP 97 then 406.9 BHP with BP 102 and then 430 BHP with BP 102 with the remap.
Some good power increases there then.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
Optimax, V-Power is 5p a litre more than normal Shell or Sainsburys 97 Ron where I live. So £2.50 extra a week or £125 extra a year.

I would rather run Sainsbuys 97 Ron like I do TBH and use a cleaner like Forte every 6k which costs less than a tenner a year. My car was remapped on Sainsburys SUL and it will keep it unless I am no where near and need to fill up with other SUL. I do feel a difference (for the worse) when putting 95 Ron in....

IIRC tests showed that BP Ultimate gave a higher Torque increase than BHP where as Optimax was higher in BHP but less in Torque.

Clio 190bhp Hybrid
And its funny how the small signs on the pumps are labelled V-Power where the main Sign displaying the prices on the forecourt still displays Optimax.....

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
BenR said:
erm 48bhp from that particular NA engine.

one more reason why i dont rate EVO one single bit.

dont be so narrow minded ben,this was an indpendant test.
They started off with the quoted 381bhp then used the 102 ron at £2.42 a litre and got 400 and then using the fuel and re-mapping the car for this fuel only thet ended up with the final result.
Dont forget you can make 60bhp just by taking the cats of an xj220 jag.

ian

Darren555 said:
It isn't a 1 RON increase anyway as Optimax had an average rating of 98.6 RON.

BenR said:
The average (mon/ron) was close to about 92.45 for optimax and 93 for tesco's 99 which had a higher MON rating by 0.1.

I don't see what your point is Ben? I am talking RON not MON/RON

That published data i have seen has not put RON of optimax that high.

And of more importance, RON is practically useless in applications were are putting them into.

172 cup'd extreme
The higher the octain the more carbon bonds therefore the more energy the petrol has cos breaking a carbon bond releases more energy than breaking a hydrogen bond therefore if the petrol has more octanes (more carbon bonds) in the chain it will have more power in its hips init

16v_jon said:
The higher the octain the more carbon bonds therefore the more energy the petrol has cos breaking a carbon bond releases more energy than breaking a hydrogen bond therefore if the petrol has more octanes (more carbon bonds) in the chain it will have more power in its hips init

say that again After a few beers :eek:

even using the figures from millers site, there is a bump increase in mon/ron average by 0.15.

And like i've said any a time, low speed RON ratings are not what we are interested in, whether it be optimax, tesco 99 or V-power.

Because avgas is designed to run airplanes with ultra low RPM engines, its no good in high rpm high dynamic CR performance engines. Which again is one reason why advertised RON rating means very little.

Arctic blue 182
16v_jon said:

If only it were that simple. It isn't. For instance normal hexane and isohexane have the same molecular weight and same number of carbon bonds, but normal hexane has crap RON and isohexane has great RON. But when burned they both give out a very similar amount of energy per kg. Generally more branched hydrocarbons have better RON than straight-chain hydrocarbons but there are LOTS of other variables.

Dave

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
davebigfoot said:
Well I'm afraid you are wrong. V-Power is a totally different blend. And ALL the Shell UK retail sites had V-Power ready for the national launch.

Dave (chemical engineer, Stanlow Refinery)

Must have been lied to then :p

What department are you in?

Arctic blue 182
BenR said:
you work in a refinery?

Do they still use Heptane and iso-octane in the research engines?

Yes, for my sins I do!
The reference scale for RON and MON is still based on heptane and iso-octane but it's been extrapolated past 100 since many blending components have a higher RON than iso-octane. And yes, the bench engine test for RON and MON is still the same as it was decades ago. You're right that the RON test (and these days MON as well) is done at a far lower engine speed than modern cars rev to, but it's still a useful indicator of real world performance. But there is much more to it than RON.