ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vaio dead, Mac time... but which...?

Sorry to Dan and Chris who have already answered this, but I'm still intrigued and can't decide.

The Vaio has given up after a measely 3 years of use. Granted I may have had something to do with it going wrong, but meh. So I have decided I'd like to join the Mac/iMac band. So the thinking would have been originally to do the Mac Book Air or Pro route.

However, I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S, love them and that's my mobile computing sorted. So I'm now thinking would it be worth getting a 27" iMac, not for the computing power, but for the size of screen. I was thinking about a TV in the bedroom as well, but if I get this, 27" is more than enough for House, Films etc...

Also, the iPad won't load 4OD and other websites, due to the Java think, or is it Flash... does this affect the Pro/iMac as well? Is there anything I can't run on an iMac/Pro, such as downloading programs, FireFox, Photoshop?

And best places to buy, presuming Apple but with Student/Military discount?

Cheers all.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Oh J dizzle.....

The computer versions will run everything, so no issues there.

As far as I'm aware there's an app now so that you can download the 4od videos etc to your mobile device too.

The 27 screen is excellent, we have two in this house and I have the 13" MBP.

I've had the 13" for a fair while now and don't regret getting a smaller machine at all, I really enjoy the portability as I'm only really a relaxed user now.

If you're geting the 27 to use to watch films in the bedroom etc, then keep in mind where it will be? i.e is there somewhere you'll be able to sit and use the computer then tuck in the chair, jump on the bed and watch something? If not, then it's useless for that really as you don't want to be moving it about every day!

The laptops are awesome, like proper awesome, but what was the main use of the VAIO?

I couldn't get a desktop as I hate being tied to a location, my laptop goes upstairs, downstairs, in bed, where ever I fancy being that day. Are you not the same?

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
4OD works on the iPad Jamie? Well I've watched it on mine.

Do you need the comp for work is or is it just casual use?

There's 4OD and iPlayer apps now. So they'll both work on the iPad.

The fact you have an iPad already, so you're sorted for lazy surfing. 27" is win. Do it.

Bus w**ker
27" i7 or nothing, unless you have a real need for something portable that can do more than your iPad and then MBP.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
27" iMac as the central hub and the iPad and iPhone for you mobile needs. Gotta go for the i7 iMac. Tis a real powerhouse.

Audi S1
I'm surprised it's taken you 3 years to even consider going down the Mac route.

I've got a MBP, had it for a good part of 2 years now. Best laptop I've ever owned - only ever had one problem with it which resolved after a couple of reboots. I now however have a iMac 27' on the way for the exact reason that you've mentioned. I'm getting rid of my TV which is in my bedroom and I'm going to just use my iMac as both my computer as well as a TV.