ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver ABS - HELP!!!

Hi all, wonder if any of you guys out there can help me with my ABS problem, its driving me insane!!!

Changed the front wheel bearings a month ago and replaced the ABS sensors (at great cost) but have been unable to accurately set the distance of the gap between the sensor tips and the cog teeth so took it to Renault to have it done properly. They have come back to me and said that their diagnostic computer is telling them the sehder unit needs replacing (@ £800!) but they havent even tried adjusting the sensors like I asked.

Im really sure that theres nothing wrong with the sender unit as the ABS has worked fine up until I changed the wheel bearings. Could their diagnostic computer thingy just be totally wrong??? HELP!!! I dont want to authorise an £800 job if it aint the problem in the first place!!

Any ideas??? Happened to anyone before???

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

my abs problem came back last night - after almost 6 months of not appearing! all started too when I had the passenger side bearing replaced - very very intermittent fault where the light will just pop on - switch engine off and 99% of the time it will go away - buts its so damn annoying - took it to renault they said they wasnt a fault at all - when clearly some of the time there is!

mmm pretty annoying huh?

I am thinking about having the ABS disabled if it is possible as at the mo the ABS light is permanently on which is an MOT failure. My MOT has just expired so currently im b*ggered!!!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

my airbag lights permanently on at the the moment - mot due in august though so ive still got time to worry about it!

When i did my front wheel bearing not too long ago i had to resort to leaving the ABS sensor in place as it wouldnt budge!

I didnt see anyway to how you could adjust the distance between the sensor and the toothed ring on the drivesheft; just looked as though it slotted in and bolted up tight! :confused:

Also most reno mechanics are full muppets, they probably didnt even look at it! :cry:

I just read in the haynes manual that the distance between the sensor and the tooth has a margin of error of a quarter of a milimeter - so assumed that this would need setting.

Renault mechanics dont really seem keen to get their hands dirty - they just hide behind their computer diagnostics. I get the impression that cos it isnt a new car that they just dont give a sh1t about me.