ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valvers - Fuckin awesome!!!!! :D

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Re: Valvers - f**kin awesome!!!!! :D

Ali's is a s**tter that's done about 100 miles all on the back of a recovery truck and he's comparing it to a 172 with inlet, filter, exhaust, decat, chip and god knows what else.

I've owned both, have a Mk2 now, the missus has a Mk2 and it wouldn't touch the Williams mod for mod... bridge tests are the real world benchmark I use, no skill required, rolling start, foot down and 2 gear changes at most.

And don't listen to Northy, his is slow ;)

John get a grip of yourself!!

Listen I've got an unbiased view, Hell i wouldn't have bought the willy if i loved the mk2 so much!!

Rite.

Williams - True classic, Amazing handling Miles better than my old 172 on coils. It will be remembered as an iconic hothatch! And no, Mine is not a shitter!!! Just remind me what you spent on your old one!!?? 10k was it!? I've spent 1.3k (300 of that included the arches) and it's mint, wax sealed now! So it'll survive even the scottish winter

My 172 - Yes a quick car would destroy the willy after 90mph! I had a blast against big iain's std 172 in my willy and he was realing me in higher up the rev's
Your right in a way, the mk2 is heavy and an evolution to the mk1, hell look at the mk3! - It won't be remembered. End of story

Vee - Again you sound like a complete plank here, the Vee's handling (Mk2) Is incredible, It's well planted and trust me it goes round corners! It's a HELL of alot safer than the willy!! It's predictable! The willy will challenge you...But your can drive the vee alot quicker without worryin about the roadside tree's!!

I've done about 10k laps of knockhill, driven just about every car from karts, radicals, ferrari's, both clios (Not the vee) and i can tell you the Willy on track is an absolute joy! I'll never diss the car on that aspect! But the people who own mk1's and mk2 who have not driven the others car can not comment...

Compredez vous!?

Ali

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Tom im tryna argue either mate but when did go's past relativly easy mean fly past!? Lol

Im not one for blagging im just saying as it is but my point was the vts is suppsedly in a similar league to the Williams rather than Valver......All gone abit off topic!!!

Yep it has! I'm off, take it easy dude. :)

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
;) its a 3 so yes is slow lol.

Our kids standard williams 2 keeps up with mine and even with a cat on does 14.91's all day.

Punto/Clio GTT
i think this thread is up there with Lustys drivvel

stfu.gif

who cares -.-

williams and trophy

never said it was special, but what people fail to realise is that most 172 engines make less than the 169bhp they should be and at the same time most well looked after F7R's will happily make around 160bhp+... so take the weight into consideration then and that's the reason the Mk1's always ARE (not seem, but ARE) quicker in the real world, both in gear and down the SQM.

It's been proven time and time and time again...

You said the F7R was 'better' than the F4R.... I fail to see how. And that's not what Nick Hill said when I asked him about it. Although 2Live probably knows better. :rolleyes:

There does seem to be a concentration of fast mk1's in the NW but it would be silly to assume that is the norm up and down the country.

and I'd love to know just exactly how many STANDARD F7R's have been rolling roaded at 160+.... that's a very bold claim, and very close to pub talk, which I have to say is unusual for you. (And that's not sarcasm btw. Which is unusual for me lol)

hmm iv never been beaten by a hill power tuned car apart from adis/matt browns old un. mod for mod mine would have raped it.....which is why adi added the nos. take from that what you will, but his engines have NEVER been impressive IMO. his rep very over rated if you ask me. any tuner whos engines constantly get beaten by a back street mech arent all that. but hey.thats my opinion

as said earlier, mod for mod, my williams 1, std but with zorst n de-cat, and craggys old williams 2, which i bought off him, same mods, were racing the cups of chris n nic, and paddy ,rhys, tim o etc back in the day. the times were very similar, but at the time rhys' was the quickest zorsted filtered 172. ran 14.7iirc. no other 172 could get near. but he was chasing my 14.6 williams and craggys 14.7 williams'.

with cams added 14.4 was my best , and mapped it ran 14.0. this is with rear seats and spare removed only. whereas tim o's 172 and martins williams were extremely stripped, martins running the quicker time again.oh.and martin wasnt on slicks either ;)

as for rolling roads.....mine was anywhere between 135-141 bhp at the wheels....this is at many diff rollers, john nobles included. and was running higher figures than a lot of the 172s etc. the only really really poor 172 iv seen on the rollers was actually a hill power tuned car.....with the man himself driving it to the rollers to proudly show off his handiwork.....how that backfired lol. was running lower power than the stock valvers iirc.

seems someone needs to learn a little history before they **** things off.

btw. a good vts will b more than capable of williams style performance, craggys old un used to pan rhys, ran 14.5s all day, pipping even my williams, and was there from 0-140+ right at the side of me, through bends etc too. a valver would have stood no chance in fairness.

Rb182cup+s2 rallye
ive had a williams and a 172 both standard and low milage id take the willaims everytime if i had to choose id say the 172 was quicker from 60 after.
i went to a meet when i just got the williams was me and all mk2s on the way to a pub on a long dual carridge way they all left me for dead i was flat out and took me a while to catch up.
id say that the mk2 was the quicker car but the williams the better car.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

and ali.iv told you....theres summat wrong wi yours. now get it sorted before you compare ;)

Nout wrong with it jon! To be fair 1/4miling is the shittiest way to compare cars. the Willy is considerably lighter! And alot earier to launch than the 172/182.

from 50 in 3rd gear, the RS2 will kill you! Esp with the mods i had on my old one!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

and ali.iv told you....theres summat wrong wi yours. now get it sorted before you compare ;)

Nout wrong with it jon! To be fair 1/4miling is the s**ttiest way to compare cars. the Willy is considerably lighter! And alot earier to launch than the 172/182.

from 50 in 3rd gear, the RS2 will kill you! Esp with the mods i had on my old one!

Ask chris n' nic what happens over 50mph.....the mk1's don't suddenly dissapear....similar mods, similar results

VaVa

You said the F7R was 'better' than the F4R.... I fail to see how. And that's not what Nick Hill said when I asked him about it. Although 2Live probably knows better. :rolleyes:

There does seem to be a concentration of fast mk1's in the NW but it would be silly to assume that is the norm up and down the country.

and I'd love to know just exactly how many STANDARD F7R's have been rolling roaded at 160+.... that's a very bold claim, and very close to pub talk, which I have to say is unusual for you. (And that's not sarcasm btw. Which is unusual for me lol)

hmm iv never been beaten by a hill power tuned car apart from adis/matt browns old un. mod for mod mine would have raped it.....which is why adi added the nos. take from that what you will, but his engines have NEVER been impressive IMO. his rep very over rated if you ask me. any tuner whos engines constantly get beaten by a back street mech arent all that. but hey.thats my opinion

as said earlier, mod for mod, my williams 1, std but with zorst n de-cat, and craggys old williams 2, which i bought off him, same mods, were racing the cups of chris n nic, and paddy ,rhys, tim o etc back in the day. the times were very similar, but at the time rhys' was the quickest zorsted filtered 172. ran 14.7iirc. no other 172 could get near. but he was chasing my 14.6 williams and craggys 14.7 williams'.

with cams added 14.4 was my best , and mapped it ran 14.0. this is with rear seats and spare removed only. whereas tim o's 172 and martins williams were extremely stripped, martins running the quicker time again.oh.and martin wasnt on slicks either ;)

as for rolling roads.....mine was anywhere between 135-141 bhp at the wheels....this is at many diff rollers, john nobles included. and was running higher figures than a lot of the 172s etc. the only really really poor 172 iv seen on the rollers was actually a hill power tuned car.....with the man himself driving it to the rollers to proudly show off his handiwork.....how that backfired lol. was running lower power than the stock valvers iirc.

seems someone needs to learn a little history before they **** things off.

btw. a good vts will b more than capable of williams style performance, craggys old un used to pan rhys, ran 14.5s all day, pipping even my williams, and was there from 0-140+ right at the side of me, through bends etc too. a valver would have stood no chance in fairness.

I knew you'd turn up. And I knew you'd spout the same b****cks. Again you insular northeners continue to apply what you see in a handful of cars to every car ever produced.

And I haven't slagged anything off. Merely offered an alternative opinion. Which I also knew would get the same old faces popping up spouting the same old shite. lol.

Oh and for the record standard (and that's really standard - not with exhaust and decat) 172'a have done 14.6's.... ;-)

Carry on. :D

PMSL @ this thread.

Guys, guys there are more cars than mk1 clios out there. all this x power here and y times there. Christ you could give meggerman a run for his money on analness lol.

Don't get me wrong I love williams, and they do certainly react to breathing mods better from my experience, BUT they are old now which don't make them s**t but my habits have changed, where as I was 18 and put up with rattling squeaking and banging, I like a touch more finesse. 182 is certainly 'newer' feeling and pretty damn good to drive too.

Eventually I will sell it and get something nutty lol.

VaVa
I love em too. What self respecting Renault fan doesn't?

Just don't see them as being invincible. I've driven round the outside of several mk1's (at very high speeds granted)....seems like all the fast ones went north and all the slows stayed in the midalnds!!

LY 200

I agree with Ali in the fact the mk1's ARE much easier to launch.

The only way the 182 feels anywhere near the mk1 in terms of launching is if the esp gets turned off but then if feels shite from second onwards imo.

seems like all the fast ones went north and all the slows stayed in the midalnds..........

...........And further south!!! ;)

Does make you wonder really but then as you've said previously it is what, three people off here that have chatted the same garble at least once a week (il give them two if im being harsh) for the duration of my time on this forum.

I remember when i had my mk1 and was open about its capabilitys and the same people said it was a dud as there doing with Ali's now.......Funny how if its not MODIFIED beyond an ik and zorst and not stripped to the bone the cars are classed as a duds!!! Lol

Mine was a low milaged engine out of a rear ended 2 and for what it was nobody i knew in the real world thought it was bad.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Slow ones down south? Nah! lol! Mine or Andy p or Danny-Aces as it is now was/is bloody rapid!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The old willy boys are still hanging on.
Did anyone read the evo write up(ill ask again)
172 and willy both set up with all the telemitry(sp) and gizmo's of the day.Forget the 1/4 mile b****cks for a minute and the rear being taken out(fpmsl).They found the 172 had more G in a corner.It was faster to 60 and 100.It braked better from 100-0 and posted a faster lap time.
Mod them all you like but standard for standard the 172 was slightly quicker.

On the other hand the willy was such a good car in the day it took 10 years to pip it,but only just

ian

Revels Mum & Sister
Jesus christ I remember this argument back when I first starting using CS YEARS ago. Time to move on LOL. Most Willys and Valvers are just rattly old luke warm sheds now

LY 200

Slow ones down south? Nah! lol! Mine or Andy p or Danny-Aces as it is now was/is bloody rapid!

Lol.....Tom, again, the one you had was hardly standard now was it!? :banghead:

Ali's is a s**tter that's done about 100 miles all on the back of a recovery truck and he's comparing it to a 172 with inlet, filter, exhaust, decat, chip and god knows what else.

I've owned both, have a Mk2 now, the missus has a Mk2 and it wouldn't touch the Williams mod for mod... bridge tests are the real world benchmark I use, no skill required, rolling start, foot down and 2 gear changes at most.

And don't listen to Northy, his is slow ;)

John get a grip of yourself!!

Listen I've got an unbiased view, Hell i wouldn't have bought the willy if i loved the mk2 so much!!

Rite.

Williams - True classic, Amazing handling Miles better than my old 172 on coils. It will be remembered as an iconic hothatch! And no, Mine is not a s**tter!!! Just remind me what you spent on your old one!!?? 10k was it!? I've spent 1.3k (300 of that included the arches) and it's mint, wax sealed now! So it'll survive even the scottish winter

My 172 - Yes a quick car would destroy the willy after 90mph! I had a blast against big iain's std 172 in my willy and he was realing me in higher up the rev's
Your right in a way, the mk2 is heavy and an evolution to the mk1, hell look at the mk3! - It won't be remembered. End of story

Vee - Again you sound like a complete plank here, the Vee's handling (Mk2) Is incredible, It's well planted and trust me it goes round corners! It's a HELL of alot safer than the willy!! It's predictable! The willy will challenge you...But your can drive the vee alot quicker without worryin about the roadside tree's!!

I've done about 10k laps of knockhill, driven just about every car from karts, radicals, ferrari's, both clios (Not the vee) and i can tell you the Willy on track is an absolute joy! I'll never diss the car on that aspect! But the people who own mk1's and mk2 who have not driven the others car can not comment...

Compredez vous!?

Ali

Your view may be unbiased but it's hardly credible when you've done f-all miles, it's been off the road infinitely longer than it's been on the road and mechanically sounds like a s**t box. A decent F7R engine you can tell straight away if you have had these cars before, driven lots and been in lots.
It seems odd that all the quick ones seem to be up north, but my original Williams engine was rapid, the replacement Megane one was just as quick from tests I did (bridge test). No Mk2 bar heavily modified ones have got near it, Laura's with breathing mods doesn't get near it and my Williams was 95% of the time always with full interior, boot full of crap, with the only time being stripped for track... where I dont actually recall seeing any Mk2 pass me... and my driving ability is average.

As for getting whooped by a standard Mk2 that tells me all I need to know, mine with a K&N open filter easily left Vicerals off here and Carol that I work with who had a Mk2 Ph1.

Oh, and it was almost £20k including the car I paid £5k for... good luck! ;)

Also I've driven Vee's, Mk1 and Mk2, done some fast passenger rides in some too... not really impressed, they are planted, but once you go beyond grip tell me how well they handle then... could be a driver skill thing, but finding limits in the Vee seems pretty easy, finding them in a Williams is near impossible.

Mk1's handle better than Mk2's, in the case of the Williams by a lot and a decent one is faster (finding a decent one is the hard part, they were 10 years old when I had mine). Mk2 is the better overall package for me, more reliable, cheaper to run, easier to live with day in.

172 and willy both set up with all the telemitry(sp) and gizmo's of the day.Forget the 1/4 mile b****cks for a minute and the rear being taken out(fpmsl).They found the 172 had more G in a corner.It was faster to 60 and 100.It braked better from 100-0 and posted a faster lap time.

On the other hand the willy was such a good car in the day it took 10 years to pip it,but only just

ian

Bear in mind the Williams would have been 10+ years old and the 172 almost brand new when that test was done and I seriously doubt they started running compression tests etc to check the state of the engine out. I'd imagine they used a shed like Stromba's that never gets driven and the engine is probably tight as hell and lucky it's not blown up...
What does G's in the corner equate to, does that mean it's going faster, as having driven both there's simply no possible way a Mk2 corners quicker, especially a Ph1 or Ph2 172, not a fooking chance.
So basically a new car beat a battered old shed that had 10+ year old engine and suspension... well that's a shocker :rolleyes: guarantee had they used a rebuilt one with replaced suspension components and brakes the only thing the 172 would better it at would be a brake test as they really are shocking on the Mk1's

LY 200
^^^I thought it was cammed aswell mate, all the same was a nice car the one you had!!!

Jesus......How do we know Lauras engine isnt a badden if its that slow!? Should get it looked at really as sounds like theres summit wrong with it. :D

I dunno perhaps although the NW has the fastest mk1's in the country it has the slowest 1*2's all the same. Orrrrrrr perhaps the mk1 responds better to all that cold air you get up there!!! ;)

^^^I thought it was cammed aswell mate, all the same was a nice car the one you had!!!

Jesus......How do we know Lauras engine isnt a badden if its that slow!? Should get it looked at really as sounds like theres summit wrong with it. :D

I dunno perhaps although the NW has the fastest mk1's in the country it has the slowest 1*2's all the same. Orrrrrrr perhaps the mk1 responds better to all that cold air you get up there!!! ;)

I was only cammed for the last year I had it, it only ran basic mods other than that and an ECU upgrade for about a week... where it spanked every other Clio round Donnington even with a muppet like me driving it lol.

Laura's is a pretty quick one, it has to be, she's beaten 2 Cups in it already lol

There's deffo something odd about it, it's true that all the quick ones are up north... maybe we just look after them better, or because we dont have to spend £5 on a pint on shandy so we have more disposable income for which to waste keeping our old sheds tip top? God knows, but it does seem odd, but that's the way it's always been... lol

LY 200
Lol @ 5 quid a pint......£3.50 for a nice cold pint of Kronen down my neck mate, if you go abit further south into town and start drinking wine with the nancys then it may be a fiver a pop!!!

Iv always bought cars in excellent condition in the first place and then made sure they were well looked after by me, both cosmetically and mechanically.......Always serviced before they should, regular oil changes etc so i cant see what youve just said being the problem........I rekon its the lack of disposable income for mods thats done me up!!! ;)

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
watch williamsclio's tracktime at fcs lads....we have valvers upagainst williams up against 172,s and trophys....

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

ian

Bear in mind the Williams would have been 10+ years old and the 172 almost brand new when that test was done and I seriously doubt they started running compression tests etc to check the state of the engine out.
THE WILLY WAS A MINTER AND HAD DONE 38K.tHE 172 WAS BRAND NEW(1K ON CLOCK,SO IT WOULD OF BEEN TIGHT
I'd imagine they used a shed like Stromba's that never gets driven and the engine is probably tight as hell and lucky it's not blown up...
SOUNDS LIKE A NORMAL WILLY TO ME
What does G's in the corner equate to, does that mean it's going faster, as having driven both there's simply no possible way a Mk2 corners quicker, especially a Ph1 or Ph2 172, not a fooking chance.
WELL YOUR THE EXPERT ON 1/4 MILES AND ALL OVER BIASED WILLY REPORTS.I THOUGHT MORE G IN A CORNER WOULD MEAN QUICKER,BUT WHO AM I.
So basically a new car beat a battered old shed that had 10+ year old engine and suspension...BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU KEEP SAYING TO US EVERYDAY,THAT THE WILLY DESTROYS 172'S...LOL
well that's a shockeR :rolleyes: guarantee had they used a rebuilt one with replaced suspension components and brakes the only thing the 172 would better it at would be a brake test as they really are shocking on the Mk1's.NOW YOUR GETTING BACK TO THE MODDING AGAIN,LOL.STICK TO ORIGINAL PLEASE OR I WILL HAVE TO RUN OUT MY TWIN ENGINED TURBO CLIO,BUT STILL CALL IT A 182

IAN

Lol at this, its pathetic! So I'll join in...

When I bought my Willy over 3 years ago, I had the choice between that (mint and TOTALLY standard with only 34k on the clock) or a nearly new 172 with about 15k on the clock. Willy cost less. Drove both, went for the Willy as it was :-

1) More responsive
2) Sounded MUCH better
3) Looked MUCH better
4) Had a much better sense of occation
5) ...seemed to have more grip and much less body roll

Its just a better experience. And it hasnt cost me anything in running costs, only the normal services and usual things such as pads etc. Looked after its so much more rewarding. And thats from a car built almost 10 years before the 1*2, which is pretty impressive.

IMO of course.

Last edited:

Bear in mind the Williams would have been 10+ years old and the 172 almost brand new when that test was done and I seriously doubt they started running compression tests etc to check the state of the engine out.
THE WILLY WAS A MINTER AND HAD DONE 38K.tHE 172 WAS BRAND NEW(1K ON CLOCK,SO IT WOULD OF BEEN TIGHT
I'd imagine they used a shed like Stromba's that never gets driven and the engine is probably tight as hell and lucky it's not blown up...
SOUNDS LIKE A NORMAL WILLY TO ME
WELL YOUR THE EXPERT ON 1/4 MILES AND ALL OVER BIASED WILLY REPORTS.I THOUGHT MORE G IN A CORNER WOULD MEAN QUICKER,BUT WHO AM I.
So basically a new car beat a battered old shed that had 10+ year old engine and suspension...BUT THIS IS WHAT YOU KEEP SAYING TO US EVERYDAY,THAT THE WILLY DESTROYS 172'S...LOL
well that's a shockeR :rolleyes: guarantee had they used a rebuilt one with replaced suspension components and brakes the only thing the 172 would better it at would be a brake test as they really are shocking on the Mk1's.NOW YOUR GETTING BACK TO THE MODDING AGAIN,LOL.STICK TO ORIGINAL PLEASE OR I WILL HAVE TO RUN OUT MY TWIN ENGINED TURBO CLIO,BUT STILL CALL IT A 182

IAN

lol, you've not actually said what cornering G's equates to, I dont know, hence why I asked

who mentioned mods too? I'm taklking about replacing tired 10 year old suspension for new standard suspension and a tired old lump with one that's rebuilt and running the same compression as when new. When I replaced mine it made a monumental difference.

LY 200
^^^Lol.....Its pathetic but il join in anyway!!! :rolleyes:

Just for your information mate the original starter never had a boggo ph1 or 2 172, he had a 182 with the cup suspension which believe it or not makes a difference over the standard ph2 (non cup) and deffinatly the ph1.

I get no body roll on mine anyway, the handling is better everytime over my previous hybrid.

The only thing i agree with you on his that the mk1's sound better and that they are more responsive low down. Other than that theres noway the mk1's a better car. :D

^^^ I wasnt referring to the cars in the thread starters post, only the silly remarks people are making about the Williams, which needed to be put into perspective.

LY 200
^^^You said you had the choice between a Williams and new 172 and basically said the Williams won hands down which doesnt suprise me really.

I was just stating if you drove a 172/182 with cup susp or Trophy you'd be less inclined to **** the mk2 off as thats a more fair comparison.

Williams owners seem to tar ALL mk2's with the same brush and in reality ph1/2 and 182's all vary especially handling wise.