ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Variable Valve Timing.

The garage is telling me i need a variable valve timing unit that goes on the front of the inlet cam?I have no idea what it is or if theres another name for it?

A search doesnt bring up anything useful.

Also when fitting a new head,can you fit new cams into a different cam carrier without problems?

Cheers.

Might change my username!

With regards to the head...do you mean take the cams from a different engine and put them in the new head? If there is no major scoring then yes its fine

Cheers guys,sorry for the simpleton questions but im getting so stressed trying to sort out the car,i had it 2 days before it blew up and ive now had weeks of trying to sort it.

Basically my garage is telling me that it cant fit the new head/cams i bought because the old cam carrier will only match the old cams,and i need the matching cam carrier for my new cams.

Is this true or not?

Not true.

They dont have cam carriers for a start (I assume your talking 172/182), as the Rocker Cover holds the cams down. You will be fine putting a pair of cams from another engine into it, ive done it on a few engines not just my own (all 172).

Then if the Dephaser is knackered it makes sense to replace it now while the cambelts being done, but just be wary that they dont rip you off for the part, as a garage might get it cheaper than £141 from Renault being a garage etc.

Cheers FOxy,the garage is still adamant,he said the head weve been supplied with wont match up to the original cam cover?

Wrong again from him?

Lionel Richie
technically correct, but you can get away without it, they're all line bored so technically will all be the same anyway

Isnt it just the cam cover thats matched? Saying that ive never had an issue with that either...my rocker cover is from a different engine

Ive put them Schricks in mine, then back out, then completely diff set of standards back in and never had an issue. Did the same to Tooneys too, his Cams were a £10/set from GDI, his is still running spot on

Cheers,i gave birchdown a call anyway and got all the info,looks like i might take the car from the garage its in now and get it to birchdown!

Just whether i can afford the transportation costs.

Im hoping the engine will run sweet as the head is a newly built with new valves etc and the one on the car had done 109k miles,hopefully itll bring a few horses back into play.

Renaultsport Clio 172
The garage is telling me i need a variable valve timing unit that goes on the front of the inlet cam?I have no idea what it is or if theres another name for it?

A search doesnt bring up anything useful.

Also when fitting a new head,can you fit new cams into a different cam carrier without problems?

Cheers.

Hi, do you know if it is the pulley or just the solenoid, both are infront of the inlet cam depending where you see it from =P