ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Various Dash lights on after garage 'fixed' my car??

clio 182 cup
Righto, I hope someone can give me some clues to the problem I've got as I've got a feeling the garage are going to try and fob me off and say this is nothing to do with the work they've done, so here's the story...

Took the 182 for an MOT and it needed a few things doing to get through, here's the full list of the work the garage did...

- Hazard warning switch replaced
- O/S/F CV boot replaced
- O/S/F ABS ring replaced
- N/S/R Brake disk and wheel bearing replaced

The problem I've now got is on start up all the dash lights go out just as they're supposed to BUT after driving for about 60 seconds the following lights all come on at exactly the same time and stay on...

STOP
SERV
Handbrake
Traction control
ABS

I noticed it on my way home from the garage so immediately turned round and went back, but the mechanic just acted a bit stumped and came up with the usual clichés about dodgy Renault electrics, possible water ingress to the sensors etc and it was left that we'd see how it goes for a couple of days. I think water ingress is pretty unlikely, I last washed the car about 2 weeks ago and it's been only been driven in the dry since then.
I've now took it out for 4 separate drives since leaving the garage and the problem keeps recurring so it seems pretty unlikely it is going to cure itself.

Anyone got any ideas what faulty/loose connection would cause these specific set of warning lights to show up??

Get them to put it on the diagnostic machine. That will tell you exactly what is wrong with it.

Seeing that they have replaced an ABS ring and now the ABS light is coming on, it's safe to say its something to do with that !

clio 182 cup
Thanks for the speedy replies guys, yeah my guess would be something to do with the replacement ABS ring, although the ABS feels like it's working fine and would this really cause all the other lights to come on as well?

Lionel Richie
they've fitted the wrong ABS ring, its meant to be 15mm wide, they will have fitted a 7mm one, fuckwits

and they've been cocking with the brake fluid too by the look of it

clio 182 cup
Thanks again for the replies.

What would they have done re the brake fluid Fred? Over/under-filled it to compensate for their error with the wrong size ring?

Lionel Richie
stop and handbrake lights are the head scratcher for me, hence why i said brake fluid, but its a total guess

clio 182 cup
After looking at a few more threads on here on the subject of 182 ABS rings there seems to be some confusion... some threads are saying you can't buy just the ABS ring for the 182 and it has to be a whole new driveshaft?? others are saying the rings are available but must be the 44 teeth ones.

Can someone confirm are the rings available and where from? Thanks!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not sure why you are looking into it TBH, just take it back, it is their problem not yours surely?

But as Fred says, no doubt they have fitted the wrong ring, how the hell they can take one off and put another one on that looks totally different is a bit of a mystery though, surely they would notice?

clio 182 cup
Yeah I know it's their problem but to be honest the guy is a bit of an arrogant t*****r and I don't think he's going to just hold his hands up and admit he's made a mistake unless I can get pretty solid proof of what he's done wrong.

I certainly trust Fred's word about the size difference but it does seem a complex subject, I've found 7mm rings advertised on ebay described as suitable for all clio 2.0 16v models so it's obviously a grey area.

On a side note if mine does require the 15mm ring does that mean I've definitely got CUP suspension? That's a bonus if it is cos I bought it assuming it was a non-cup!

Many.
stop and handbrake lights are the head scratcher for me, hence why i said brake fluid, but its a total guess

This happens when one of the front ABS sensors is unplugged, or not reading. Mine did this when I had rear sensors unplugged, along with one front one. Speedo also didn't work as it should.

clio dci , ren8
The last one I had with the wrong sensor rings on (due to driveshaft change ) made the speedometer read stupidly wrong , or mega fast . A 80 bh dci that done 0-60 in 3 seconds & 100 mph in a blink :) Back to the subject , if he has only changed one side you should be able to count the teeth on the ring on the other side .

clio 182 cup
Oh well I called in at the garage this morning and explained my findings on here.. and the mechanic insisted it wasn't the wrong size ABS ring that he fitted, said if anything its something to do with the replacement rear disk/bearing as the old one was apparently very wobbly and this could have affected the sensor on that wheel, anyway I've told them I'll be dropping the car off with them Monday morning and they can keep it as long as they need till they've sorted it.
I'll let you know the outcome!

clio 182 cup
Sorry for the lack of updates... it turns out it was the wrong size rear disk that they'd fitted, all fine as soon as they put the right one on!

Clio 172 182 197 200
Sorry for the lack of updates... it turns out it was the wrong size rear disk that they'd fitted, all fine as soon as they put the right one on!

WTF would nt be taking your car there again after all the brakes are the bit that prevent us all killing ourselves hope they did nt try & charge you extra looking at your posts it would nt surprise me if they had a go.

clio 182 cup
No I certainly won't be going there again! Didn't charge me anything and he was rather sheepish when explaining what the problem had been