ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vibration under braking

I have a 2005 1.2 16v, lowered on Vmaxx Coilovers.

I've noticed for a while now that I'm getting quite a lot of vibration from the brakes.
It's literally as soon as I touch the brake pedal, obviously the harder I brake the more noticeable it is.

I was just wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction as to the cause, I am aware it could be a couple of possible things, but any help would be much appreciated!

Oh yea, Discs were replaced a few months ago, and pads have got plenty of wear left.

Thannks

172 Rally Car
This can come from a number of things.. But the first thing I would check is the bushings, if they are worn it can cause vibrations. Some times when you put on new brake discs you can have a problem with warping. Some ppl clame that only bad qualety discs will warp, I dont find this to be true..

Westy. MX5
Hopefully you did buy oe or other decent discs and pads, anything less then they may be warped or the pads very worn. Wheel bearings, driveshafts and even tyres will be the next items to check, and don't forget the obvious wheel nuts, are they tight enough, it has been known for someone not to check them.

172 Rally Car
You can lift your car upp on a jack og something, so your wheels are off the ground. Then try to "rock" the tires, if you find any slack this is a bad sign. Dont move the tires so much that the steering wheel moves, just use as much force that you dont "turn" but feel for slack..

You can have a look at the front end bushings, and look for wear. Cracking in the rubber and so on...

If you have hit a curbe your rims can be dented, or the tires can be off ballance. But if this is the case its more normal to feel the shaking at some spesific speeds, not only when braking..

Most likely its warping in the disks... This is the FIRST thing I would check... If it is warping, the disks can be grinded with a spesial tool, or you could replace them... A crude thing you can try, that sometimes work, is driving hard on the brakes. Heat the disks upp as much as you can, and maby, maby the warping vill be "bent into place".. I have done this with success, but it is a very crude fix...

Sorry about my spelling, English is not my first language:p

Thanks for all your help, I'm going to try replacing my discs first.
The vibrations really bad, when I brake the steering wheel vibrates, and I can feel the vibrations through the brake pedal also :(
Just trying to find the cheapest place to get oe discs.

Right, I've had my wheels off today, to have a look, got new discs on order, but just thought I'd have a look as its getting really bad now. Shakes the front of the car!

Here's the photo from the passenger side, could this also be something to do with it, and does this need replacing? :S
DSC01681.jpg

This is the drivers side one:
DSC01685.jpg

I haven't replaced the discs yet, so I know its probably them, I'm waiting for them to be delivered.
I just thought I'd check out any other possibilities whilst I had a spare hour, and noticed the above?

It's an ARB mount, only about a fiver to change If it's completly knackered you can generally seperate both parts that it's there to keep together.

Cheers for the help, yea I know its the discs most probably, I've ordered some Brembo ones. The pads have got plenty of wear in them, but think I'm going to change them as well anyway.
So that ARB mount, is it still okay, its still basically together?