ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media - Anymore HD channels to come?

1 Series Coupe
Hi,

Does anyone know if/when Virgin are going to get any other HD channels apart from BBC HD?? :(

I'm annoyed that we pay for a HD box and get 1 channel. Whereas you go with Sky HD and you'll get your sky sports and movies in HD.

Cheers

Matt

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
At the launch of the 50MB broadband (December), they also announced that 4 more HD channels were being launched in the next 3-4 months. It was unclear whether they would be actual channels (e.g. Sky 1 HD), or an on demand HD channel (Virgin Central).

I would not hold your breath however. Most of what I have read on the subject seems to suggest we would be lucky to see any more HD content on VM this year.

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I hope we do get more HD, I only get on demand BBC HD and BBC HD Preview channel. We pay for a HD V+ Box with the Virgin Internet XL package and I thought we'd get more HD channels for the price tbh. But like its been said, our internet is pretty nippy.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
But your box upscales the normal SD channels which is what the majority of the Sky HD channels do. There are very few true HD channels out there. There is definitely a lot more HD to come but I am not allowed to reveal any details as of yet, and even the details I do have are a bit patchy

Citroen DS3 DSport
I'm currently trying to get the £10 per month V+ charge removed from my account as I've been paying it for 3 years now so surely that should qualify for its removal? I've paid far more than a new customer will have to pay over the 3 years I've had it. I emailed VM about it and they've offered to remove it if I pay a one off £45 fee. Bit annoying really as I know others who had it removed for no charge at all.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Lets face it.. Virgin Media = Fail ! even the one thing they had going (their broadband package) is a complete joke with their traffic shaping policies !!

Citroen DS3 DSport
Their on demand and catchup tv services are awesome, the internet is good so long as I am sensible with downloads during peak hours and V+ is great.

Peugot 207 Sport
I got an introductory offer 18 months ago and got the XL package in the 3 for £30.

That offer ended a few months ago and they started charging me the V+ fee.

I rang and complained saying that as I had paid £150 for their V+ box, I was confused as to why I also had to pay a fee for using it, arguing that Sky don't charge their customers extra for their Sky+ service and also that I had only bought it for it's HD capabilities. I asked why they had advertised that they would have loads of HD channels soon and it has been some 18 months yet still I only have 1 and thats a preview channel!

They stopped charging me the monthly V+ fee and upgraded my service back to XL.

They also said that Sky held the rights to broadcast all the HD channels exclusively for however many years, but that was coming to an end and we would soon be having lots of HD channels added.
That was 3 months ago ... i'm not holding my breath!

Citroen DS3 DSport
If you paid £150 my understanding is that you should never have had to pay a £10 monthly charge for V+.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
If you paid £150 my understanding is that you should never have had to pay a £10 monthly charge for V+.

Yeh thats how it's meant to work. We paid £75 one off installation (it was half price), and no monthly fee (we are on the XL package though, don't know if that makes a difference). However, if you have more than one box you pay £5 per month each for the extra boxes.

Peugot 207 Sport
If you drop your TV package to anything below XL you have to pay for using the V+ .. robbing fookers never said this when I registered for them.

I got the XL package free for 12 months as they ripped me off for the V+ box in the first place. They had a promotional advert on their site that said limited offer V+ free. So I signed up, they then charged me £150 for the box and denied ever running an advert.

When I complained and said I was gonna cancel they offered me the XL package free for 12 months. So I never actually knew I had to pay extra until the offer ran out.

They've sorted it now though, however i'd still like to know when i'm gonna get me some HD channels!

a thirsty one
i love my v+ we bought the box a while ago for £100 so we dont pay anything extra per month, we have the xl with sky sports when i got my new big tele i got a hdmi cable as well but couldnt get it to work. i will look at it when decorate later this year. im pleased with it and i have sky+ at work but find virgin easier to use and records/watch more at same time.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I notice a couple of people have mentioned they bought the box for a fee. You know that you don't own the box? It's still property of VM. All you have done is pay the rental fee in one lump sum.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
We got another briefing yesterday and the HD will be there end of quarter 2/beginning of quarter 3. Apparently...

I'll eat my V+ box if that happens. We were told in December (by the CEO I might add) that four new HD channels would be available in the next 3 months . It's all just rumour to keep VM customers happy at the thought that more HD might be coming.

If you want HD, go to Sky. If you want VoD, go with Virgin.

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
Two main reasons why Virgin don't have HD

1. Sky had the majority of excusive rights

2. Our analogue network switchoff will be complete in next few months which leaves us so much more bandwidth and resources to throw at HD.

V+ upscales the picture on SD channels much better than he sky box does anyway and as the majority of channels are in SD anyway it makes that feature all the more worthwhile

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Two main reasons why Virgin don't have HD

1. Sky had the majority of excusive rights

2. Our analogue network switchoff will be complete in next few months which leaves us so much more bandwidth and resources to throw at HD.

V+ upscales the picture on SD channels much better than he sky box does anyway and as the majority of channels are in SD anyway it makes that feature all the more worthwhile

I have never seen a Sky HD picture, but I have read that many think (from both Sky and VM sides) that the picture from an up scaled VM pic can be just as good as an HD Sky pic. But to the general public, that won't matter. The fact that when you go to Sky's website and you see their selection of HD content compared to VM's one channel will be the deciding factor for those who want an HD picture. I'm not fussed about HD tbh (I have VM), but what I don't like is being continually told 'oh yeh, it will be here in 2 months' or whatever, just to be told 2 months down the line that it will be later on again. That's what annoys most VM customers, the continuous lies from them.

1 Series Coupe
I spoke to Virgin today and they said they havn't got a clue. I'm going to wait what happens with Setanta etc, if Sky get it i'm moving!

Skoda Fabia Vrs 180b
To be honest we as staff are just as frustrated.

The 50mb Broadband and moving the 'M; tier up to 10mb has been the main focus. Broadband is the 1 area that we can be superior to everyone else (apart from the traffic management!)

Now that is out of the way, we are looking at HD content. I cant say too much but we have all been briefed that HD is on its way.

You will all be getting a letter soon regarding changes. Again cant say too much but if you dont already, sign up for ebilling or you will find and extra £1.25 a month on your bills.

To be honest we as staff are just as frustrated.

The 50mb Broadband and moving the 'M; tier up to 10mb has been the main focus. Broadband is the 1 area that we can be superior to everyone else (apart from the traffic management!)

Now that is out of the way, we are looking at HD content. I cant say too much but we have all been briefed that HD is on its way.

You will all be getting a letter soon regarding changes. Again cant say too much but if you dont already, sign up for ebilling or you will find and extra £1.25 a month on your bills.

Have you had issues with the 50meg rollout?