ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media Super Hub, no DynDNS, no firewall rules access control

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Guys,

I was wondering if anyone can help, I was with Sky and have two servers at home that I remote into when at work etc should I need to. This was all done with a DynDNS account and the appropriate services & rules in-place on the Sky router (locked down so they would only allow access from a specific IP address at my office)

First problem, the Virgin Media Super Hub doesn't support DynDNS, not too much of a problem as you can set it to Modem Only mode and run a router of your choice. I've therefore got a Netgear N600 router which is great and does 99.9% of what I need but very annoyingly won't allow you to restrict access to services (ports) to a specifc IP address (or IP range) even though it allows you do this for the remote management part (this is the same on the Super Hub also)

Having a look around for an alternative Wireless N router that has the functionality has drawn a blank, surely this shouldn't be the case??

Is another option to get a dedicated firewall? (this I have no real experience of and am not sure how I would add this into the mix)

In a nutshell, I need to be able to be allowed in from an IP address at work to RDC on port 3389 to my server and for this not to be allowed for anyone else (I had this working perfectly on Sky)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gareth

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
For anyone interested in this I solved it by taking the Netgear back and getting a Draytek 2130n which has the capability and much more.

Skoda Fabia vRS
the superhub is absolute pants anyway no matter what you wanna do with it, its wifi range is about 1m on a good day

BMW M135i
OpenWRT on the netgear would have allowed you to do this and more. Not denying the draytek is decent just giving another avenue.