ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Virgin Media TiVO, Who has it?

Renault Sport Clio 182
Done a quick search for 'TiVO' and alot of people seem to have interest in it, or have been talking about it, but i couldn't see if anybody has actually had it fitted yet.

I had mine fitted Tuesday and was just wondering if anybody else has it and what they think?

Inferno 182 CUP
Yep i have it ..

I like it .. HD is massive (i have 1tb) never deleted a thing and i had it installed when its as released .. mrs records almost everything on TV! and in HD ..

UI is nice looking .. better than shitty v+HD .. generally its a win.

Even better that mine was both free and they gave me £50 to take it .. actually being paid to adopt TiVo was nice ;)

Renault Sport Clio 182
lucky for u then, we had to buy the box, which loads of internet forums is saying is a rip-off but i didnt think it was too bad, maybe i have more money than sense lol.

I also went for the 1tb box, only recorded a few things so far, been giving loads of shows the 'thumbs' up and down and so far today (thursday, 2 days after install) is the first time its recorded something in 'suggestions' which was Futurama, however i have the enitre box set anyway but its a nice gimmic, is it working on urs? how long did it take to 'learn?'

i done a bit of research into it and there was alot of negative about the whole thing that so far have not botherd me but i found it was petty little things like "the shape and lay-out of the remote" and the fact that you had to pay for the box's, allthough anythings gotta be better than SKY!

FN2 Type R GT
Im planning on getting it, did you have to pay for fitting? Virgin tried to tell me its £50 for the 500gb box plus an extra £40+ for fitting!?

Inferno 182 CUP
just tell them to f**k off you want it installing for free or u wil leave for sky ...

i left sky for tivo and I'm glad i did .. its much better ... dk is a bell end ignore him

Prong

ClioSport Club Member
I've had tivo for about 6 months now, Got it early as the mrs works for them. It's awesome

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Got it last week...we were on XL (without Movies or Sports), it cost £0 for the TiVo box, £50 installation of the V+HD box we currently have into the bedroom and about £3 per month extra for 2 boxes to connect. They also upped the Internet to 30Mb and TiVo has its own 10Mb connection for use on YouTube, etc.

Ph1 172
I've been thinking about getting on of these boxes, but my TV only has one HDMI input socket, which my ps3 is plugged into, can you get a splitter or something?

Polo + Micra
I've been thinking about getting on of these boxes, but my TV only has one HDMI input socket, which my ps3 is plugged into, can you get a splitter or something?

i've got one of these

does pretty well auto switching between devices but you should be able to find a cheaper item

STRBramley

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy #404
What am I missing here? What is the difference between this and the standard V+ HD box?

Renault Sport Clio 182
My gf has sky and it is so much better, the only downside is it is a little bit slow changing channel and going through the menu's but im pretty patient so can handle it.

From what i have used and understand it is better than the v+ box, it has all the same features like recording, series link and pause/rewind, but it also enables you to search for key words and actors ect and create a wishlist. for example i done a Tom Hanks wish list and now it tells me eveytime theres something with him in and u can set it to auto record, it also learns what u like and then suggests other shows similar, it does seems really good and theres loads that i havnt explained but the videos on virgins website pretty much says it all.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
What am I missing here? What is the difference between this and the standard V+ HD box?

TiVo will cut off the end off the programme you're recording so you'll be left wondering how stuff ended! ;)

There are a whole load of problems with TiVo at the moment, I'm sure they'll get sorted, but virgin seem obsessed with secrecy about what will be fixed and when.

The missing the end off of programmes seems to be the biggest big bear, this is caused by TiVo not having a global setting to add padding to a recording, so you have to do it everytime you set a recording. The bbc are poor at keeping broadcasts on time, so the problem appears worse on bbc channels. It's also compounded by the third party who are updating the epg, they seem to make mistakes left right and centre! The epg is also not dynamic like the sky epg, so scheduling changes won't be noticed.

Once they sort this, most of the moaners will disappear.

Renault Sport Clio 182
^ yeah actually i noticed this last night, had set it to record Traffic cops but it turns out i was in anayway and saw the little red light go off at exactly 21:00 which was about 30seconds ish off the end of the show, but like you said you can manually ask it to add a few minutes over a recording, where as i think the V+HD box that ive used before would do this anyway.

clio 182 black /gold
The only thing with my Tivo is that i have set it to record a couple of mins early and run on a few mins. Sometimes it does not do it.

Mk2 '99 Clio
I am really considering biting the bullet and switching to Virgin/TiVo as I can now cancel my Sky whenever, but is it really that much better? I just tend to hate change lol.

a thirsty one
Been virgin customer 6 years and loved my v+box, got tivo the other week. Kept xl package with sports but the missus called up for upgrade cost £100 with free fitting.

Happy with the menu and also the huge memory, just starting to learn my viewing habits. Happy with it upto now.

I have been looking at it over the past few weeks and have decided to hold out for a little longer. The Virgin TiVO forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/bd-p/Tivo is full with people having issues, by the sounds of it there is an update due September/October time that will address most of the issues but a lot of users feel like they are beta testers!

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I have been looking at it over the past few weeks and have decided to hold out for a little longer. The Virgin TiVO forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/bd-p/Tivo is full with people having issues, by the sounds of it there is an update due September/October time that will address most of the issues but a lot of users feel like they are beta testers!

The problems with forums like that is that they tend to be places that people go to when they have trouble. If they're not having trouble, then they simply wouldn't visit. This slightly skews how you might perceive the forum, you might see it as being full of people complaining, but there very well could be 1000 satisifed customers to every one complainer on that forum.

That said, the issues are mostly stupid and should be sorted when new firmware arrives, the secretive NDA nature that virgin seem to be taking is causing a lot of the issues to be hashed over again and again and again and again etc....

Tbh, if they just dropped a version which provided a global time padding option as the only change from the previous firmware, then they'd get rid of a lot of the moans that people have.