ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista 32 Bit & 64 Bit

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
At home I've currently got my main PC running Vista 32 Bit (Genuine) and my second PC running XP Professional (Genuine), now I've installed the Genuine XP on several different computer setups before and not had any problems (I'm obviously not supposed to be able to do that though). But what I'm proposing to do now is switch my main PC to Vista 64 Bit and try and get my 32 Bit Version on the XP machine, I'm guessing I shouldn't be able to do that either but I'm wondering whether it will allow me to or not? Anyone any experience with moving Genuine Vista copies from PC to PC?

Cupra
I think that when you first activate it, your PC specs are recorded to the version... if they deviate by more than 3 out of ten hardware items then the PC is considered new and the licence is no longer valid.

Disclaimer: I may be spouting utter shite but am sure that I read this somewhere.

T

thecremeegg

I think that when you first activate it, your PC specs are recorded to the version... if they deviate by more than 3 out of ten hardware items then the PC is considered new and the licence is no longer valid.

Disclaimer: I may be spouting utter s**te but am sure that I read this somewhere.

Thats only for OEM copies - retail copies should be fine to move a few times

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
just found out, retail copies can be moved as many times as you like, oem copies can only be installed on 1 machine. Mine is OEM, so if I move to 64 Bit I may as well throw my 32 Bit in the bin.

SLK 350
not a problem on OEM anyway, when activating just call the MS line state you've upgraded/hardware failure and they'll give you an activation code over the phone.

Job done.

For the record 64Bit is much better if your CPU supports it, I ran Vista 64 but got rid of it for XP Pro x64 in the end - Vista still blows in a big way!

Only problem with x64 is drivers can still be an issue, particularly with Dell machines as they still don't offer x64 bit drivers, make sure you have a copy on CD/USB before you install it :)

2014 Focus Titanium
not a problem on OEM anyway, when activating just call the MS line state you've upgraded/hardware failure and they'll give you an activation code over the phone.

Job done.

For the record 64Bit is much better if your CPU supports it, I ran Vista 64 but got rid of it for XP Pro x64 in the end - Vista still blows in a big way!

Only problem with x64 is drivers can still be an issue, particularly with Dell machines as they still don't offer x64 bit drivers, make sure you have a copy on CD/USB before you install it :)

Exactly, just one call to them saying you had a power surge and it blew ur PSU/CPU/Mobo/Gfx/Ram etc etc and you have been forced to renew the components but couldnt get hold of the exact ones.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Is there a significant performance increase using vista 64bit over 32 bit?

T

thecremeegg

Exactly, just one call to them saying you had a power surge and it blew ur PSU/CPU/Mobo/Gfx/Ram etc etc and you have been forced to renew the components but couldnt get hold of the exact ones.

Dont even say that - you get put through to some indian guy reading off a script and i just said when he asked "what is the reason for your reinstallation of windows today sir?" that i got a new hard drive - works fine as i have done it multiple times

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
what difference does that make :/ i was talking about the operating systems...

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Dont even say that - you get put through to some indian guy reading off a script and i just said when he asked "what is the reason for your reinstallation of windows today sir?" that i got a new hard drive - works fine as i have done it multiple times

That's why I think the whole OEM stuff is just total b****cks. It shouldn't even need to get that far where you're phoning bloody Bangalore. :mad:

Microsoft should just get of their fat arses and charge sensible rates for their O/S software. WTF can't XP Home or Vista Home Basic be on the shelves for £29.99? Price it the same as a standard PC game.

Instead, they overcharge and in turn encourage piracy, cracks and unlicensed software. The problem is of their own making - and they just make it more complex with 'ideas' like OEM. Have you seen the list of equipment that is excempt? Iirc, if you change your hard drive or memory??? WTF are they thinking? :quiet:

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
to be fair to them, it's more important and a system you use everday i wouldn't expect to pay £30 for an opertaing system, further to that, you can get them for £60 OEM so not sure what your moaning about...

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've had codes out of Bangalore many a time for XP, I was just wondering if they were on the ball with Vista, obviously not.

The development costs for Windows far outweigh that of a game.. and, the price also needs to cover all the people who don't pay ;) (but still expect updates etc.. :p)

Why aren't all cars the same price? £10,000 for anything.. people wouldn't steal Ferrari's then.. ;)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
to be fair to them, it's more important and a system you use everday i wouldn't expect to pay £30 for an opertaing system, further to that, you can get them for £60 OEM so not sure what your moaning about...

You'll be music to the ears of Microsoft's accountants with that... "Charge them more Bill - they don't mind at all!" ;)

Have you actually read the limitations of OEM? Have you changed your hardware much? That £60 you paid won't mean sh1t after a while.

The development costs for Windows far outweigh that of a game.. and, the price also needs to cover all the people who don't pay ;) (but still expect updates etc.. :p)

Why aren't all cars the same price? £10,000 for anything.. people wouldn't steal Ferrari's then.. ;)

....I'm not disputing that. But to be fair, I think they've milked that cash cow of XP good enough - it's been out eight years. And what is the 'ol fish-wife's tale? MSoft runs 80% of the world's PCs? And yet, just how many of those do they make money from? Probably a very small margin. Most people over here would choose to copy the O/S rather than pay for it, so they've lost money hand over fist. Being so greedy, they can't even see the wood for the trees. :rolleyes:

Sounds like an idea with the Ferraris - where do I sign! Seriously though, imagine copies of the O/S being everywhere - even on the shelves at say Sainsbury's or Asda - and for a reasonale price. It wouldn't stop piracy at all - nothing will, but it would be mass-made and cheap to buy and probably make MSoft even more money than current.

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
well.....i'd agree but they need people employeed to keep it up to date and develop new securities for it. i mean i'd love it to be free or very cheap but if you were selling it and it was your product you wouldn't so don't expect them to either.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
well.....i'd agree but they need people employeed to keep it up to date and develop new securities for it. i mean i'd love it to be free or very cheap but if you were selling it and it was your product you wouldn't so don't expect them to either.

Fair point David. I'd love to sell my Retail copy of Vista Ultimate, say for around £30. But MSoft market forces mean that it worth a damn lot more than that.

And guess what. I can't sell it for the going rate! :D

D.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
haha indeed, perhaps you should make your own operating system with hookers and blackjack