ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista admin password reset

Clio200 EDC Lux
My parents have an old pc of mine running vista, when I set it up for them I created a normal account for them with no admin access. However I need to install a new printer for them and I need the admin password which I can't remeber as it was a few years ago!

What is the best way to reset the password on the admin account?

Liquid Yellow 182 FF
I know on windows XP if you launch the PC into safe mode from start up you can go into account settings and remove the passwords, then reboot and your in! Good way of breaking into people's PC's. Did it once when I forgot my password. Try it on Vista?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
  1. Turn on the computer.
    • As Windows is starting up, when “Starting Windows” comes on the screen, quickly press F8.
    • In a dual boot environment, this can be done easily from the boot menu.
  2. When the boot menu is showing:
    • Use the arrow or tab keys to select “Microsoft Windows” (this is the option that runs Windows Vista).
    • Do not press Enter. Instead, press the F8 key and progress to the Safe Mode boot screen.
    • At the Safe Mode boot screen, select the first option, “Safe Mode.”
    • Press Enter.
    It will take a few moments, but Vista will present a login screen that has two options, Administrator and Other User.

Now IIRC you can just use the new admin account to alter the other one. I can't remember how I turned the new one off afterwards though.

Clio200 EDC Lux
I tried that ^ and it logs straight into my parents account? it does auto login somehow anyway I have to log off to see the administrator login.

182 Trophy #333
If all else fails there's a windows password reset ISO available for download, can't think of the exact link from memory but I have it on a USB stick can reset any local windows passwords for windows 2000 onwards!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1
Hirens Boot CD (Google it) has an option to remove windows passwords. Looks complicated but its really not. If you Google "Hirens boot CD remove windows password" or something similar you should find a tut.

Clio200 EDC Lux
Hirens Boot CD (Google it) has an option to remove windows passwords. Looks complicated but its really not. If you Google "Hirens boot CD remove windows password" or something similar you should find a tut.

Worked a treat and very easy to use, thanks.