ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vista Upgrade Issues

I don't know how many people have upgraded to Vista on here, but just a little bit of advice :)

If you have a laptop and have the option of a Vista upgrade from XP Home/Pro, personally I would tell you to wait a while. We bought the old lady a new VAIO for christmas and sent off for the upgrade, installed fine and everything was great, although when she shut the lid the graphics card would turn off, but the rest of the machine would continue as normal. When opening the lid to use it again nothing would happen and it needed to be rebooted.

This along with a couple of other issues have all been solved by Sony, called them up £40 plus vat for the issue to be solved. They directed us to Microsoft as this is dealt with on a case by case basis.

So...to me it looks like Microsoft have maybe, possibly done this on purpose to stop anyone from attempting dodgy upgrades, they won't release the fix for this online, you have to go through the proper channels.

Nice. Looks good though ;)

A4 Avant
I used my free upgrade on my Dell 9400. Apart from a sound issue where Dell released a duff HD sound driver, my experience of Vista has been great! All my programmes work (I have to run a couple as admin). Very impressed so far!

So...to me it looks like Microsoft have maybe, possibly done this on purpose to stop anyone from attempting dodgy upgrades, they won't release the fix for this online, you have to go through the proper channels.
Hotfixes are not fully regression tested and therefore have to be requested for tracking purposes. This way if problems are found with the fix you will be notified via email.

I used my free upgrade on my Dell 9400. Apart from a sound issue where Dell released a duff HD sound driver, my experience of Vista has been great! All my programmes work (I have to run a couple as admin). Very impressed so far!

I get the feeling it's a Sony issue, specifically the VAIO's.

Spoonie, I realise this, but they aren't even showing any sort of comment about it on the knowledgebase, it's only if you contact them directly can you get the information.

I have a KB number, it just takes you to a load of information about Hibernation and it's not relevant to that. The issue it a acpi driver, which is basically the button to turn the graphics off when pressed(lid closed), but when released is not then recalling the drivers. Thought about changing the driver to the XP equivalent, but it simply reinstalls the the vista one on start up.

Waiting on Sony at the moment.

Lee

BMW M2C
I've been running Vista Ultimate for months now at work and not had any issues at all other than a lack of printer drivers.

It's also slow as hell when installing and removing software and drivers.

Other than that it's one of Microsofts best "beta" builds in years. 2000 and XP were crap when they shipped.

A4 Avant
I must admit I thought something was wrong with how slowly my laptop installed my programmes! Once installed everything worked as quickly as normal! Glad someone else has this as well!

It seems that this is one of very few Vista issues. I think it's fantastic myself and you're dead right Lee, best beta build in years.