ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Vmaxx springs over-compressing?

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
I've narrowed down my awful knocking noise to my cheapo VMaxx spring compressing too much and hitting themselves over bumps.
Photo 11-10-2017, 08 38 19.jpg

As you can see just stationary they're far too coiled up?
So going over bumps surely they're gonna make a knocking noise I'm experiencing?

I've tried reseating them and it hasn't helped. Also they can't fit the other way around due to where the adjuster is designed to fit and the shape of the spring itself.

Ive put a thread up in the 'wanted' section after a replacement set of rears - eibach or bilstein etc..

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Sure this has been an issue with the Vmaxx coilovers for a while. If you Google, you'll probably come across a couple of threads mentioning the same issue you're having.

I've got some rear Eibach springs knocking around in the garage but I don't think they'd fit with the Vmaxx adjusters.

Jesus, those springs are not doing much like that. Just take those adjustment platforms out and fit the OE rubber platforms to raise the car, which will extend the springs and stop them from knocking.

I have a pair of hardly used rear cup (stiffer) shocks and 40mm lowering springs (front and rear) if you wanted to get rid of the VMAXX rear set up...£40

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus, those springs are not doing much like that. Just take those adjustment platforms out and fit the OE rubber platforms to raise the car, which will extend the springs and stop them from knocking.

Yes it seems that way, I'd give that a go, but unfortunately I haven't got the bottom spring platforms/bushes to seat them on!! Only place I can find them is Kam Racing and they're £25 :confused::confused:
I may have sorted some replacement springs for now, otherwise I'll message ya @leeds2592 & @JB21 !! There's only one way to find out if they'll fit with the adjusters! What a faff!

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Put up a wanted thread for the rubbers. There's normally someone breaking car that will have some and they normally go very cheap.

Your springs are standard for vmaxx. My old BG and Ph1 both did the same. (2 separate kits, not the same kit on both cars)
2017-10-11_08-02-21.jpg

2017-10-11_07-59-52.jpg

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Well that's frustrating, cause that means it's probably not the super-compressed springs that causing my knocking issue? If that's normal for Vmaxx and you didn't have an issue?

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
My first kit (on the BG) was fine throughout ownership. I bought them 2nd hand but was only 3 weeks old and had done very little mileage. The only issue was a knocking on the rear. After some investigation and a thread on here, it turned out to be knackered shocks. They would compress quickly but not return the spring action. I got some new shocks (trophy ones) as a set came up cheap and it cured the knocking. Was fine from then until I took them off as I was returning the car to semi standard. I couldn't really fault them the as they lasted a long time and was used daily and for fun runs.

The 2nd set for the ph1 was a s**t kit. Bought brand new and within 2 months/less than 1k miles, the fronts were leaking like mad. Swapped them for some decent BC Racing coilovers, which was a vast improvement. I was told by someone else that there was a bad batch, which I presume was what I had.

A word of warning: DO NOT try to contact Vmaxx direct. There customer service was shockingly bad. The wouldn't return calls or emails. I sent them pictures of the issues on the 2nd set, which I just got ignored numerous times and fobbed off when I phoned them up. All they would say is that they have had a set on there own cars with no issues. Yeah well this ain't your car, and I've got leaking f**king shocks you knobheads!

Just a heads up!

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
My first kit (on the BG) was fine throughout ownership. I bought them 2nd hand but was only 3 weeks old and had done very little mileage. The only issue was a knocking on the rear. After some investigation and a thread on here, it turned out to be knackered shocks. They would compress quickly but not return the spring action. I got some new shocks (trophy ones) as a set came up cheap and it cured the knocking. Was fine from then until I took them off as I was returning the car to semi standard. I couldn't really fault them the as they lasted a long time and was used daily and for fun runs.

The 2nd set for the ph1 was a s**t kit. Bought brand new and within 2 months/less than 1k miles, the fronts were leaking like mad. Swapped them for some decent BC Racing coilovers, which was a vast improvement. I was told by someone else that there was a bad batch, which I presume was what I had.

A word of warning: DO NOT try to contact Vmaxx direct. There customer service was shockingly bad. The wouldn't return calls or emails. I sent them pictures of the issues on the 2nd set, which I just got ignored numerous times and fobbed off when I phoned them up. All they would say is that they have had a set on there own cars with no issues. Yeah well this ain't your car, and I've got leaking f**king shocks you knobheads!

Just a heads up!

Appreciate your help there matey. Think I'll swap the shocks over first, got a spare set in the garage.
See how we go from there! And yeah never planned to contact Vmaxx, can tell just by there website they don't give a s**t about customer service!