ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Volvo 122S Project

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
So, I may have made a grave mistake, but I am now the new owner of:

122s5.gif

122s2.gif

I have always liked these and have always wanted to restore a classic car.

Parts are still readily avalible and resonablly priced, but this car is pretty solid and came with alot of spares.

Plans are to completely strip, dip, repair the shell. Then rebuild with reconditioned, modern parts if possible.

I have two 1.6 engines but will most likely swap these for a Tuned 2.0, which should be about the 180bhp mark

Unfortunatly being in Retail I have very limited time off work, and live away from where the car is stored. I've already accepted that this will take atleast 2 years!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I know, just like to kid myself!

The stripping down will take a week, its the rebuilding that takes time. The car bar a few things to connect is fuly functioning at the moment, so should be able to document it for rebuilding.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wish I never ever started building my clio. I can't even bear to look at the thing any more.

Everything always seems much better when thinking it through in your head doesn't it! lol.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I do keep toying with the engine and running gear from a T5, but the reality is I don't have the time or money. But most importantly, I have NO fabrication skills, its all new to me!

'Stance' will be improved, no worries there. Aim is to end up with a Classic car that can be used everyday without worrying about it falling apart.

Good man. Let's face it on a car like that you're not going to be destroying any epic handling characteristics so a decent drop and some deep dish rims with a good offset will look spot on. Can't help thinking it would look a lot better in black than the current blue.

Listerine & Poledo
Stance Works Volvo makes baby jesus cry.

Sounds like you've got one big project there, good luck with it!

A horse and cart was the pinnacle of transport when first made, it may have handled well for its era but my point was it's hardly going to be a B road blaster and epic in the twisties so dropping it won't ruin it as such.

Listerine & Poledo
Wouldn't rock-solid, slammed suspension just cause the entire chassis to waap within about 400 yeards?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
A horse and cart was the pinnacle of transport when first made, it may have handled well for its era but my point was it's hardly going to be a B road blaster and epic in the twisties so dropping it won't ruin it as such.

True dat, but I don't want to go as far as the SW one.

It will be on Alloys, Fatter tires, Lower and 'flush' (Is that the right word :S). Will need to find some deeep rims to keep the current suspension though!

Wouldn't rock-solid, slammed suspension just cause the entire chassis to waap within about 400 yeards?

It can be done in moderation. Lowered does not automatically = crazy high spring rates or ride height that drags the chassis rails. I'd be just looking to fill the arches a bit better and a neat amount of gap between tyre and arch not some crazy hellaflush fitment.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thats what I'l after. Bilstein B8's with Custom Springs and teh right Wheel Tyre combo should be spot on.

Ph2 172 MB 77/468
amazon lover here also, nearly bought one a couple of years ago, but bought a C70 instead, very different!

inspiration

really want a 544 nowadays, but id more than likely have to get one straight from sweden or norway

even toyed with getting a 340 to stick my 172 lump into

Last edited by a moderator:
  1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Just got the front and rear axles to remove then the preparation for rebuilding car start.

P120068.gif

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Now post the other picture with you stood next to the bay on your drive looking dead pleased with yourself!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
F7?

Theres a dutch guy that works with me thats mental into amazons, want his email?

Turbos.
Alright Tom, just because they like Volvos doesn't make them gay.

This is an ace project, looking forward to seeing how it goes!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Now post the other picture with you stood next to the bay on your drive looking dead pleased with yourself!

I was like a little child! Whilst doing it I was thinking, I'm taking an engine out of a car, I'm so cool.

F7?

Theres a dutch guy that works with me thats mental into amazons, want his email?

Engine? B16B, Very old and rare, could drop in a B20* which would be easily capable of 180bhp but due to age and rarity of the car am going to stick with the B16B, rebuilt should be about 90 /100bhp. E-Mail would be much appricated.

This car being 1961 it seems that it should have different fittings etc and finding correct information is difficult.

Current total spend, including car, garage equipment and parts i've already sold off the car or weighed in is £680, this will sky rocket in the next few months when I start rebuilding.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Started ordering Parts today. No turning back.

SuperFlex bushes all round at about £200
Conversion from Front Drums to Discs (Includes Calipers, Fixings,Wheel Bearings, Hub, Back Plate Discs) about £700
Bilstien B6 Sport Dampers x 4 £440
Progressive Springs x 4 with a 40mm drop £300
Goodridge Hoses + EBC Green Stuff Pads £110

This should enable me to rebuild the front and rear suspension whilst it is off the car, then I can put that to one side as a job done.

Hopefully get the car dipped end of this month which is when the scary bodywork will start, rear arches will definatly need replacing.

Just have to keep reminding myself that by spending the money now, I wont have things going wrong in the future (I hope!)

Also, If I can source some rare parts I should be able to get 160bhp from the B16, so all the more reason to upgrade the brakes.