ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VTR to mark 1 172

as you can see im a newby, just fort this is the place to start getting help and knowledge on the car im just about dead set on buying.

I have a VTR at the mo, its a gr8 car but wana change and something alot faster.

im nearly 23 so the clio seems alot more grown up

who has a 172 here and what can you tell me i can expect from the change from a slower car, what they are like for tuning (if its worth it with filters, decat etc), what body styling options there are, basically things i should look out for and and tips you lot may have :)

hi and welcome to cliosport mate,

ive just gone form a saxo vtr to a williams and got to say its best decision ive made ever!!!! ok not quite a 172 but u get what i mean

if u need any help just ask, im sure u will get help no problem

:)

sounds very good, there arnt many williamss around (odviously as they made very few)but most seem to have higher miliage:(

the only reason im thinking of getting a 172 is because they have suddenly became bargins to buy second hand and have a good rep for power.

plus they are a little bigger than the saxo!

anyone else drive a 172?

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

Iam doing the same as you mate. Had the VTR for nearly 2 years now and I feel that I have grown out of it.

Test drove a 172 yesterday. It had 69 miles on it a was tighter than a ducks ass but it went well. Really felt a kick in the back when the vvt was in action.

I cant afford a really new one but the dealer has a 01 - 172 exclusive coming in and I have got first refusal on it. The VTR is a 99 T and they offered me £3000 for it as a P/X. I really want a bit more for it but I suppose I have to be realistic and I dont want the hassle of selling it myself.

The 172 is a very nice car. Feels nice to drive but I did find the clutch was light and the driving position a bit high. Only minnor grumbles though and as soon as you floor it you forget about them :D

My old 1.4rt would be an equal match for saxo vtrs. The valver is in a different league and well my 172 just wouldnt bother breaking sweat to despatch one. The saxo isnt a bad car its just the cliosport is a whole lot better. I would say if you were swapping from the 16v vts then you wouldnt be all that shocked at the difference, the clio is quicker but the vts is nippy for its engine size. Its probably on par with a valver.

Mk1 Clio 1.8 16v made from 91 to 96, 137bhp.

I went from a 1.4 Clio to a mk1 172, difference is unbelievable, handling is awesome so much grip, feels like it could outbrake anything this side of a F50, power kick at 5500 revs is a real shove in the back and its still got a bit of torque low down the revs. Plus you get these lovely seats!

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/172_New_Pics/28-03-04c.jpg

Some other pics to convince you
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/172_New_Pics/28-03-04j.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/brian.morris5/172_New_Pics/28-03-04f.jpg

Mk1 172 Exclusive No.17

You have had a Saxo so dont get the VTS.

I thought about but Iam bored of the whole Saxo thing!

Quote: Originally posted by MartinS on 08 May 2004

VTR to Williams as well. Different league.:D
1.2 Clio -> Williams.

A Bit different?
That 172 looks to be in mint condition!

Of course its in mint condition, its my baby lol

Bought it about 2 months back with 26,000 on for 7k, pristine condition, guy only used it at weekends, was stored in heated garage every other day.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup

i do love those seats, makes my cup interior look so bad.

Clio Dci

go for the 172.

i had a vtr before my cup.

test drove a vts an whilst being a fantastic car it is not in the same league as the 172 imho.

saxos are excellent on handling and my vtr was lowered but the cup feels even better with standard setup.

no offence to anybody but the saxos are in my opinion for the younger driver with its boy racer image, thats why i changed.

plus the 172 is that little bit more of a rare sight on the roads.

i thought the same go for a vts but after 2 years of saxo ownership was bored with them, and there everywere! was looking at 172 aswell but decided on the williams :D

Quote: Originally posted by pete172 on 09 May 2004
no offence to anybody but the saxos are in my opinion for the younger driver with its boy racer image, thats why i changed.
thats what i thought the saxo is for the younger drivers imo was time to move on

Clio Dci

i still to my pipe and slippers these days now that i am 25 :sleep:

also i know people moan about the build quality of there clios but they are still better than the citroen quality.

my clio unlike the saxo i had, has never been in for warrenty work. it feels much better built.

but having said that, they are dearer and also look at the weight differences.

when looking at the clios in the showroom i was impressed by the build. when you shut the doors etc it does not sound like a tin can

Not had a problem with build quality on mine, no rattles or owt, have the 4k rattle which is easily repaired and the airbag warning light has come on once which was just a loose wire under the passenger seat. Build quality on my 172 is a lot better then my old RT.