ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VXR CORSA OR CLIO r27 197

MCS R56
You don't like the Fiorano? That's the 599 GTB, right!?

That's the Ferrari I would have. Enzo engine, a beautiful GT car. Rapid. Sounds amazing. What not to like. (completely off topic now) Much nicer than the Corsa, maybe not the Clio. lol

clio 172 cup
everybody goes on about how vauxhall make s**t handling cars yep the astra gsi, corsa 1.8 sri were crap but now they work with lotus on the handling, reviews have said the corsa vxr handles brilliant
better build more torque more tuneable

For me, Vauxhall just make crap cars and have a chav image. I would have a VX220 or Holden VXR, but the Corsa and Astra VXR's just look awful to me. Plastic body kits and chav exhausts. Get a Clio, love the rear diffuser.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
In the Evo mag group test, comprising 197, Corsa VXR, Cooper S and Ibiza Cupra, up a mountain road (i.e. real life, not a race track...) the Clio 197 got left behind... The writers were gutted they said because they loved the 182 so much, and said the Clio had now slipped from it's mantle.

But personally, I'd have the Clio over the VXR because the VXR in the flesh is gash, and it's rare you really get to fully exploit the performance and really push like those journos would have been. And I'm not Tiff Needell so i'm no way a good enough driver to get the most out of any of them probably heh.

Dan

Edit - Sorry just noticed someone else had already noted this review heh. Just as another point, the Corsa VXR has lovely looking seats and steering wheel :)

Clio F1 R27
Yeah, up the hill on the roads, I saw that. I saw a piece of film where the Clio 197 beat the VXR on the track. It did not appear to handle as well as the Clio, even with the extra poke, hence the loss.

I don't like the VXR or anything about it. You will not convince me otherwise. That's why I would choose the Clio. I'm not a fan of turbos, which makes the Clio even more appealing. Yes?

I wasn't trying to convince you, I was just offering my unbiased view/observations.

I wouldn't buy either.

P.s. Stevo_172's post was pure comedy. lol

Why pure comedy mate? It's all factual...

From someone who is looking at buying either the clio 197 F1 or the VXR i would like a questions cleared up...

From what i have researched the VXR seems the easier tuneable car, is there anything available for the Clio?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
the vxr will always be more tunable due to turbo etc. more for your money tuning wise.

As for the 197, speak to yozzasport, AWT, GDI or Mark fish. Overall the 197 will cost you a lot for relatively minor gains compared to the corsa. I would perosnally drive both and go with the one you like the most tbh.

yozzasport = Fred

AWT = BenR

GDI = bexGDI or Andy GDI

mark fish - not on here, but has a website i beleive?

All of the aobve would be able to do tuning for a 197, all at relative costs. I would suggest donig a search on each tuner in the engine forum etc and see what you make of each one.

Each tuner has it's band of supporters who fight their respected tuners corner aggressively so take everything you hear with a pinch of salt and make yuor own mind up. :)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
From someone who is looking at buying either the clio 197 F1 or the VXR i would like a questions cleared up...

From what i have researched the VXR seems the easier tuneable car, is there anything available for the Clio?

I dont get this whole "but will it go faster if i throw money at it?"

Keep the 10-12k you would have spent and buy an Evo 7 or a Scooby, both would absolutley f**k the corsa and clio, with 9k you could buy a 300bhp Evo okay running costs will be higher but id rather that than modding a car that wasnt intended for 200-260bhp!

Call my cynical i just say get realistic!

Well i am into my tuning, so i dont want the scooby. Plus im 22 and only been driving a yr. I want something small..

I have been on Corsa VXR forum and notice there is a corsa on there with 226 bhp with the following Bluefin stage 2 | Straight Through Milltek System | Courtenay Filter ..

Now this no matter how could the clios handling is wont keep up with that for sure?

Also can you get the same sort of power output for the 197 with those mods's?

Hmm think that has made my mind up, has to be the VXR due to how easy it can be tuned.

Both i think are very smart looking cars and people on here saying the corsa is a chavs car are just narrow minded and talking utter rubbish.. Also i preffer the corsas interior, but i like the embroidery on the clios seats. Plus from only 2days research the corsa is slighty cheaper to buy (2nd hand)

MINI JCW
According to autocar the VXR is quicker round track and in a straight line (see last weeks autocar) but they voted the 197 best hot hatch under 15k the VXR came 2nd.

Take your VXR to Courtenay Sport for the tuning, I had a stage 1 remap done on my VX220 Turbo and they really do know there stuff.

White 197
I saw a couple going around the track at castle coombe at the weekend and they were slowest cars there at the time.

They also to me, don't look right, they look too tall to me.

They are not a car I would buy because they do to me look a bit max power.

Clio 172 mk2
Never driven either so can't comment on that

On looks alone though I'd have to go for the R27, I'm a big fan of the new Clio Sport

The Corsa is dog sh1te.

It's like this...If you like the look of the Corsa you must either be a dumb little chav or have no sense of style and sophistication.

The car looks like a Japanese hatchback gone wrong. Any decent bird I know (including my girl) thinks they look chav and crap.

I take girls opinions of cars quite seriously.

Vauxhall sports cars historically handle like sh1te. Even the Police moan about having them. They torque steer, roll like crazy and are a nightmare to control.

I prefer the 197 for looks, never driven one so CAN'T COMMENT on handling or speed.

Overall though, I would choose a Astra VXR or Golf Edition 30.

RenaultSport is based on years of Renault's motorsport experience and successes.

Where are Vauxhall in any motorsport event?

I think Renault should have given the 197 some more power, but any intelligent human being would take the machine that wins with looks and handling.

For me there's only two choices for looks and performance....

either a 197 or a Golf GTI

PMSL!!!

I must live in a Chav town as most of the girls here love the Corsa VXR, although I prefer the Astra. So I guess I am dumb 30 year old chav. Quite.

Does Touring Cars not count as Motorsport? Obviously not!

Torque Steer, roll?? You driven the VXR Corsa and Astra or just bashing away according to road tests?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
The Corsa is dog sh1te.

It's like this...If you like the look of the Corsa you must either be a dumb little chav or have no sense of style and sophistication.

The car looks like a Japanese hatchback gone wrong. Any decent bird I know (including my girl) thinks they look chav and crap.

I take girls opinions of cars quite seriously.

Vauxhall sports cars historically handle like sh1te. Even the Police moan about having them. They torque steer, roll like crazy and are a nightmare to control.

I prefer the 197 for looks, never driven one so CAN'T COMMENT on handling or speed.

Overall though, I would choose a Astra VXR or Golf Edition 30.

RenaultSport is based on years of Renault's motorsport experience and successes.

Where are Vauxhall in any motorsport event?

I think Renault should have given the 197 some more power, but any intelligent human being would take the machine that wins with looks and handling.

For me there's only two choices for looks and performance....

either a 197 or a Golf GTI

PMSL!!!

I must live in a Chav town as most of the girls here love the Corsa VXR, although I prefer the Astra. So I guess I am dumb 30 year old chav. Quite.

Does Touring Cars not count as Motorsport? Obviously not!

Torque Steer, roll?? You driven the VXR Corsa and Astra or just bashing away according to road tests?

Stevo_172 is banned for a reason. Similar comments with Lots of personnel abuse and un justified rude comments about anything that’s not a Clio

Reading that post he obviously doesn’t watch BTCC like you say

ff 182
You're asking this question on a clio forum, you're only going to get one answer!

Although saying that I'd rather have the corsa, purely because I'm getting old and can't be ****ed with torque-less n/a engines anymore.

Plus the R27 is a Renault lol. Not having another!
love the renaults but turbo's are way forward.......evry one els seem to have them in there cars,why dont the cliosports.

Clio 172 mk2
I kinda like NA engines in hatchbacks, quite rootsy like the good old 205 of old.

Saw an Astra VXR the other day and it actually looked quite nice, I think the syling works a bit better on it as it's slightly bigger.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
From what im reading here, are people buying cars to impress girls? f**k that! I couldnt give a rats tit what a bird thinks of my car, im not buying it for them to like im buying it because its a good car.

"Emm sorry but i cant sleep with you until you trade in that clio for a corsa"

Get Fucked love!

Scirocco GT 210
You're asking this question on a clio forum, you're only going to get one answer!

Although saying that I'd rather have the corsa, purely because I'm getting old and can't be ****ed with torque-less n/a engines anymore.

Plus the R27 is a Renault lol. Not having another!
love the renaults but turbo's are way forward.......evry one els seem to have them in there cars,why dont the cliosports.

I typed that months ago. lol

I still stand by the n/a - turbo comment but I've changed my mind about Renaults. They may be full of faults and fall to bits, but you can't really beat them when it comes to performance/spec/age per £££. So I would have another!

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
im looking at selling the 172 to get a vxr went out and looked at one on sat and i must say it was more appealing than the 197 the interior was alot nicer it looked more hot hatch and of course the price always helps this one was 2500 cheaper than a 197 basic and the vxr is fully loaded with all the gadgets ill be test driving one on sat and see how it goes and make my mind up

clio dci
for my 2 cents i can honestly say i would have neither, remapped ibiza cupra all day long,

has no one else noticed the clio and the corsa are nearly identical as far as the shell is concerned!

ff 182
for my 2 cents i can honestly say i would have neither, remapped ibiza cupra all day long,

has no one else noticed the clio and the corsa are nearly identical as far as the shell is concerned!
test drove one last week i loved it but the wife said it was 2 lively lol, so went for the fr 1.8t great cars!!

clio dci
too right, there awsome cars, acceleration in them is immense when the turbo boosts. pus 190bhp for about 230 quid is excellent.

ff 182
too right, there awsome cars, acceleration in them is immense when the turbo boosts. pus 190bhp for about 230 quid is excellent.
yes thats what im going to do, get revo to remap it should take it to about 190... 200bhp should be ok for the wife too lol costs about 400 with revo ,but thers loads of companys willing to do it for less .good mods for the money.theres lads on cupra.net running over 300 bhp and it dont cost the earth!!

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Stevo_172 is banned for a reason. Similar comments with Lots of personnel abuse and un justified rude comments about anything that’s not a Clio

Reading that post he obviously doesn’t watch BTCC like you say

He did get a bit of a sandy vagina didn't he when someone dared to suggest they preferred the Corsa. How's yours going btw mate? I have a mate looking at buying one, but finding people that own them to give decent opinions is hard - VXRonline is a bit of a joke tbh...

Dan

Clio 1.6 16v 2002
From what im reading here, are people buying cars to impress girls? f**k that! I couldnt give a rats tit what a bird thinks of my car, im not buying it for them to like im buying it because its a good car.

"Emm sorry but i cant sleep with you until you trade in that clio for a corsa"

Get f**ked love!

lmfao well said. i like both only thing that possably swings it is the corsas turbo, will make it easyer to mod and make faster. then you bring in turbo lag so hard choice, or spear of the moment choice. yellow 197's look best though