ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Want to reinstall windows 7 from fresh, but how?

Mk2 Golf GTI
I dont really understand all this!

Basically i upgraded from Vista to 7 without doing a fresh install. The comp's been running a bit slow so i want to do a clean install of windows 7 but i dont have a physical disc as i downloaded it from the MS upgrade server.

All i have is the windows box 1 and box 2 files, an exe file and a folder called 'expanded setup', which i think is what was created when i unzipped the box files.

Anyone tell me what i need to do or where i can find a dummies guide!

Cheers

ValverInBits
If the copy you have is upgrade/reinstall only, then that's all you can do.
Computers are supplied with windows disks, but they are reinstall only - Useless.

You'll need to burn an image to a DVD somehow (that is, if you've got the right copy).

182FF with cup packs
I think that when you run the upgrade process it actually asks you whether you want to attempt an upgrade, or do a clean install. Just run the exe and see if it does :) (at least it does if you are using a standrad upgrade install disk)

Monaro VXR
The expanded setup files copy the contents of the folder to a DVD. Don't copy the folder itself just what is in it. Should work as a regular bootable windows DVD then. Give it a try and see if it works then just fresh install from that.

When it asks for your cd key. Do not enter it. As the download copy is basically an upgrade copy don't enter your cd key until windows 7 is fully installed. Just click next say you will enter it later. Otherwise you have to start messing about and it takes longer.

2000 Clio 172
Boot from the CD and delete your c:\ drive partition, then format a new partiion and install. This is what i did with my upgrade version.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Did you buy this from the student deal? if so might be able to help you out.

Do you have full vista disk? Or any other version of windows?

2000 Clio 172
Mine was student disk, and I just loaded it, used it to delete the partition and installed fresh copy. Bobs your uncle, *****'s your aunt...