ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warning lights during hard acceleration

I've done a search on this and it seems to either be a case of break fluid or injectors or fuel pump need replacing.
1.5 DCI - It only happens if I accelerate hard with my foot almost to the floor. I see it mostly on the motorways when I need to overtake and get to a speed fast. It's happened once or twice in urban areas too in lower gears.

What's it mostly likely to be? Injector or fuel pump? I can check the brake fluid I suppose. If it's the possibility of injectors, would using those injector additives help in anyway at all?

I was thinking of the getting the cambelt and water pump changed in a month or two anyway so the expense was going to be incurred. Injectors on the other hand is scary as if I spend the money on the belt change, I will have to drop even more on the injectors otherwise it will be a wasted car.

Fuel pump is close to £600 iirc. Injectors are about £200 each.
I was thinking of the getting the cambelt and water pump changed in a month or two anyway so the expense was going to be incurred. Injectors on the other hand is scary as if I spend the money on the belt change, I will have to drop even more on the injectors otherwise it will be a wasted car.

Golly. I guess I'll continue to run the car for as long as possible and then when it fails completely, decide then to get it repaired.
Don't they usually say that metal particles can be found in the fuel filter - is this normally the case for failing injectors or fuel pump?

renault clio 1.4 16v
If the fuel pump is failing then usually you will find particles in the filter... if there is a filter between the pump and injectors

Do a leak off test on the injectors (4 bits of pipe on the leak off lines) - mine had the same issue, I found that 1 injector was leaking off massive amounts which dropped the pressure in the system. I got that injector reconditioned by dieselbob for £110 - reconditioning the injector means that you don't need to get the ECU recoded as you would do if you had a new one. Car fires up fine now, I would still check the fuel filter for metal particles (you need to cut it open but replacing it is never a bad thing). If you just replace the injector and the pump is breaking up you would have just wasted your money. Its most likely to be an injector, fuel filter is located on the right hand side of the engine bay just next to the battery, simple to change, unplug the lines by pushing the clips, plug in the new filter.

Do a leak off test on the injectors (4 bits of pipe on the leak off lines) - mine had the same issue, I found that 1 injector was leaking off massive amounts which dropped the pressure in the system. I got that injector reconditioned by dieselbob for £110 - reconditioning the injector means that you don't need to get the ECU recoded as you would do if you had a new one. Car fires up fine now, I would still check the fuel filter for metal particles (you need to cut it open but replacing it is never a bad thing). If you just replace the injector and the pump is breaking up you would have just wasted your money. Its most likely to be an injector, fuel filter is located on the right hand side of the engine bay just next to the battery, simple to change, unplug the lines by pushing the clips, plug in the new filter.

Will consider a leak test this month. Is it worth adding any injector additives to the bottles as it intakes the fuel?
I did some research on this, so the bottle with the most fuel left in it is the one that needs to recon, but if they're all at different levels, couldn't it be more than one?