ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Warranty after CAT D?

Hi, I'm wanting to return my Clio sport to Renault under warranty, but the car has been repaired from a CAT D write off, the problem is definitely a manufacturers fault, nothing to do with the accident, so is the car still under warranty? Or is the warranty void?

Cheers for any help

Something Not French
This may not turn out the way you want it to. Renault will try everything possible to blame you for the accident causing the damage, not themselves.

Best of luck, but I wouldn't want to be in your situation tbh.

Out of curiosity, why are you returning it? What car is it, and whats the problem?

Well that leads me onto my next question actually, I own a Clio 197 F1, since I bought it, when it's first started in the morning it has no power at all, and I don't mean when I try to put my foot down, it struggles to get up the hill I live near. It didn't used to be too bad, but lately if I am going 30mph at the bottom of the hill, by the time I'm at the top I'm struggling to do 10mph sometimes, and the lower the gear it is in, the worse it is. It's fine after about 5 minutes after the engine has warmed up. I was told by someone that they are all like this, but surely this can't be true is it? And the car had damage to the rear, so there is no way they can argue that it was caused by the accident, I'm just not sure if warranties are void after a car has been written off. And the car is 3 year old in December, so I need to sort it out quick before the warranty period is over.

Mini Cooper S
Take it down there and don't tell them about it being a CAT D. I know someone who got warranty work through Renault and their car was a registered write off.

Focus RS mk1
i work at lexus and we have come across this before but the problem it came in for was being caused by a poor repair, water coming in through sh!t weld causing electrical problems. Lexus washed there hands of it as it was obvious it had been accident repaired, if they was to touch it and other faults appeared then they would end having to sort these aswell.

Skoda Fabia vRS
id speak to your dealer mate, if its a rear end impact i cant see them fobbing you off

yours does sound very bad in a morning, however they do ALL need a decent warm up in a morning, Renaultsports have been this way for 10 years +

Something Not French
My 200 doesn't like revving past 3k when cold, but is nowhere near as bad as yours. Mine is completely driveable, but you just need to short shift through the gears into 4th. 5 minutes later its fine.

Take it to Renault, its a common fault which can be solved (apparently) with an ECU update. The crash shouldn't affect cold engine performance.

Don't mention the crash initially, but if they suss it out themselves (on the ramps etc) don't lie about it. They can check with the DVLA or any carcheck service to see whether its a CAT D or not anyway. If I knew your reg, I could find out for £3.

I'l take it down to the dealer and see what happens, the car isn't always like this, but its embarrassing when it does happen and I have someone behind me in a micra getting annoyed coz I'm going so slow! :eek:

Listerine & Poledo
Cat- D's are registered with DVLA etc. aren't they?

I'd have thought Renault would pick up on that and tell you to jog on, irrespective of the fault.

but I've been known to be wrong

I've been told by a friend who used to work for Volvo that the dealer has to fix any faults the car has unless they can prove that it is not a manufacturing fault, regardless wether the car is written off or not, so i'l take it down, it can't do any harm either way.

Skoda Fabia vRS
personally i dont think they will be bothered mate, get it looked at before your warranty runs out

S4 Avant
Wasn't there a map update done by Renault for the cold start problems on the 197?

If it's just that, tell them you've not had it.