ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Was buying a 182 now im not

A tale of caution for everyone

I ordered a 182 from my local Renualt dealer but it was going to be pre registered before i got it, thought fair enough as i was getting it for £11988.

Car wasnt meant to arrive until 25/07/04 but last week the dealer calls and asks if i want my car sooner as they have it and it is registered, I said its not meant to be here for 4 weeks and i havnt sold my Astra Sri yet, Dealer says fine i will hold the car.

Get talking with a mate about the above who works in the trade he tells me what the dealer is doing is against the law and he wont be able to register the car in my name for 3 months or he will have to bay the discount back to renault.

I call the sales man about the above he confirms the bit about it being in there name for 3 months denys the rest and said he told me that when i bought the car (funny that me and the GF didnt hear it then)

I then call my insurance and ask them where i stand if the cars not in my name, Thay say basically if i crash it or it gets stolen then im F**ked as its not really my car.

So i call the dealer again and he denys it and says my insurance is talking nonsence.

I now smell a rat do a bit of digging and decide to cut my losses and cancel the order. Sales man turns nasty says i cant cancel as i ordered the car etc etc etc, I quote the law to him and say that The Department of Trade & Industray say what hes is doing is against the law then he suddnley says well if you cancel its up to you.

End of story apart from dont buy a pre registered car

Burgandy 174 sport t

This has happened to me!!

car was registered in Jan I bought in Feb and when I get the log book through it says Apr change of owner??

should I do ne thing to stick them in???

Can I??

thats total w**k mate id phone them up tomorrow and ask for any money back, if he starts to shout tell him that u will be reporting him as soon as u put the phone down, and if u still get no joy report the tw*t!

dk

911 GTS Cab

every garage does this to hit their targets, this is nothing new, all of the brokers cars are pre registered, as long as you dont mind being the second owner on the log book its not a problem, its how you save a large amount.

i doubt it is illegal as most of the larger car franchises do it openly, its why they have the 3 month rule, for the saving you have i would have taken the car.

thats true dave but how hes explaining that id call it bending the rules to breaking point ;) or maybe im just reading it wrong lol :)

still got to be worth a try to get abit of any cash back uve put down ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab

at the end of the day though, he isnt going to get one cheaper, even an import, so he gets a uk car albeit pre registered for a bloody bargain!

oh i agree mate thats a damn good deal, i persoanly would not have pulled out, but i would have said no i will wait till mine arrives etc for insurance porpuses etc :)

Its totally illegal what hes done and you can get them well shafted for it, they take a very dim view on the whole act of selling pre reg cars before the three month ownership is up.

My mate was a legal advisor to the motortrade and was telling me all about this practise a couple of week ago.

ok, can someone clarify this for me then.

A pre-reg car - so if the car arrives in the country on 1st Aug and the first registered keeper is the dealer but you take delivery of the car in, say, 15th Aug (give them two weeks to prep it and deliver)...then whats happening is that although you now have the car physically, youre still not the registered keeper of it until 1st Nov??

So what? If you are insured to drive the car it doesnt matter whether you own it. I think you missed out on a bargain.

Bought My Pre Reg cup from Renault Coulsdon in April. It was first registered by Renault at end of Dec 03... I guess they must have been sitting with it until the 3 month period had expired before they could sell it on to joe public! Assume this is the legitimate way of doing things at it is a Renault owned dealrship!!

Can anyone elaborate on what Tangers is asking?

Im in that situation (although my cars now over 3 months old). Car purchased from Motorpoint 1st April- French import - initially registered to them - Im the second owner (I was aware of this before I bought).

So, Ive only really been the owner of my car for the past 7 days (since 1st July)?

Or is an import different to a pre-reg car?

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I thought the whole idea of pre reg cars was to boost their numbers.

Yet if someone is ordering a car, it wont make any difference to the dealer whether it is pre-regd or not.

ie a dealers target is 100 cars in June, he sells 99 to customers, so decides to pre-reg a car to himself just to hit that 100 target and get the bonus. Then a customer comes along later and buys the pre-regd car.

That way, if a dealer thinks he is gonna have a quiet month he can pre-reg lots of cars, but sell them later. Obviously the down side is that they have money tied up in pre-reg stock etc.

I was told the same thing with pre-reg ones from various sources - I could take delivery almost immediately, but it wouldnt be my name on the V5 until after 3 months - I just didnt fancy paying for a car and having it someone elses name, so paid a (little) bit more to be the first owner!

There nothing illegal about it - the only question is how strictly Renault control their dealers...

Matt

RX-8

Must be diffrent with imported then as mine was first registered 10th May then change of owner 15th May (me) and is now registered in my name and I have the V5 to prove it!

J182 Im the same as you - first registered to the dealer on 1st April, then change of owner a few days later. I dont mind being the second owner - its quite clear from the V5 that it was a garage that first owned it.

Even if it affects its future selling value I dont care cos I saved a packet buying it this way in the first place.

Yep same here....Got mine on 1st May from an importer and i received the log book in my name about 10 days later

(First Date of Reg was 1st May also)

Change of keeper was shown as 2nd May...i am not worried about re-sale as i saved money and i doubt the re-sale loss will be greater than my initial savings.

Have a Cat 1 Alarm + Immobiliser + std Immobiliser for insurance and have all the bits a UK dealer will supply

They are all from bloody abroad anyway...why the mega debate!

Even have 3 full years warranty with the car

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Cnic,

the debates not about import cars, warranties or standard options etc.

Its about the pre-reg system employed by some dealers.

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 08 July 2004

Cnic,

the debates not about import cars, warranties or standard options etc.

Its about the pre-reg system employed by some dealers.
Agreed :D - what I heard was that the 3 month thing comes about as Renault UK sell to lease car companies etc at a much bigger discount (approx. £11.5k for a fully specced 182) - and they are contracted not to sell it within this period...

Burgandy 174 sport t

so do we think I have the right to ask for my Log book to be corrected???

I could play it with the dvla!!??

the whole thing in the car industry about pre reg cars is that the dealer hasnt me his targets or his forcourt is empty either way no one should really worry about it.

as im sure your all aware if you buy a car brand spank youll pay VAT this is only when cars are brand new and there is no way out un less your VAT registered

the beauty of buying pre registered cars is that you dont pay VAT because the dealer has technicaly paid for it to register it and pay for the on the road costs which can be passed on and it will be on there books.

when you buy pre reg all your really saving is the VAT and whatever the dealer decides to give as discount.

sad to say but all the dealers out there are bent as coppers are and they all blag ya with the log book b****cks but if you put ya foot down when you buy a pre reg dont leave the dealer with out the log book.

Hey dont worry about me i didnt pay a deposit so i lost no Cash in the deal.

Even if i had paid a deposit the dealer would not of had a leg to stand on and i would of got my money back one way or another. My mate said just mention the word Lawyer and they wont want the trouble or expense.

Anyway i have save my self a packet im now keeping my Astra SRI, Four new Michelin Piolts, Adjusted Tracking and a wash and Polish with Megulars later and it looks and drives like new again. Anyway its almost as quick as an early 172 as a mate had one and could never loose me, Doesnt squeak, rattle or have bits falling off it like most Clios, and everyone thinks its a SXI with a spoiler so get a fright when you leave them at the lights.

Just a shame most Vauxhall dealers are Cr@p.

Quote: Originally posted by TommyBoy! on 08 July 2004

the whole thing in the car industry about pre reg cars is that the dealer hasnt me his targets or his forcourt is empty either way no one should really worry about it.

as im sure your all aware if you buy a car brand spank youll pay VAT this is only when cars are brand new and there is no way out un less your VAT registered

the beauty of buying pre registered cars is that you dont pay VAT because the dealer has technicaly paid for it to register it and pay for the on the road costs which can be passed on and it will be on there books.

when you buy pre reg all your really saving is the VAT and whatever the dealer decides to give as discount.

sad to say but all the dealers out there are bent as coppers are and they all blag ya with the log book b****cks but if you put ya foot down when you buy a pre reg dont leave the dealer with out the log book.

mate you pay VAT on anything you buy, the only difference is if your a business the VAT is added on and if your joe public the VAT is inclueded but it still has VAT on it including 2nd hand stuff, if a business buys a 2nd hand van then VAT is still added to the price, the only time VAT is not added to anything is if you pay some dodgy back street garage in cash ;)

blaupunkt

answer me this if you went tomorrow to a second hand dealer and say bought a car for 5k and that was the price shown in the windscreen thats the price you paid look at the invoice there would be no VAT shown so there for no VAT charged,

Vans are totally different as you pay VAT on every van purchased as vans are for trade peeps like me that are VAT Registered, put it this way if i sold you a van youd pay VAT as I legally have to collect if i sold you a car i coulnt as cars are only VATABLE when brand new not second hand.

as i said in answer to your PM mate yes you pay VAT on everything form a £10 CD to a 10k car

the reason that you dont see VAT on the invoice is because VAT is already included in the price of the item like i said be it a £10 cd or a 10k car.

if your trying to tell me that VAT is not used then when joe public buy something then why on your recipt does it sometimes say VAT included, VAT is another form of TAX that everyone pays the only difference is if your VAT registered than you can try and clam it back