ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Was invited to a bmw open day!

I had a really good time yesterday at an all day driving event where I was allowed to drive the following cars on my own for as long as I wanted!

123d 3dr
125i coupe
330d touring
525d (Auto)
x5 4.8 (Auto)
x6 35d (Auto)
335i Cab (Auto)

I had the option of driving some other cars but they were either less powerful or had auto gearboxes which i just didnt like.

The 123d was prob my favourite, as it was cheap and fuel efficient (45mpg) while the mid range performance was unbelievable! And it does 0-60 in 6-6.5 secs! It also had the full msport kit and full beige leather which i thought was really smart.

The 125i had a really nice sounding engine, it was def quicker than my cup mid range, even if it lacked the kick that it had at the top of the rev range. It handled very well but I thought the steering lacked some feedback and it crashed though potholes whereas you hardly felt any of them in the 525d!

The one I was prob most disappointed with with the auto 335i cab, it was a great engine spoiled by what I thought was a slow and dim witted auto. It was very deceptive though how quickly it piled on the speed, I had the roof down and accelerated hard and thought there was a lot of buffeting in the cabin, until i looked down and saw that I was doing a very illegal speed in a very short space of time! It had every option on it though, msport kit, heated leather, sat nav etc, but i would def buy it in a manual!

The best all rounder I thought was the 525d which would be much nicer with a bigger engine and a manual gearbox imo. But the auto was so relaxing and it had the best ride out of any of the bmws i drove, even though it had the nice 19 inch wheels on it.

The x5 was nice with the v8 engine and handled much better than I thought it would but I couldnt live with the fuel comsumption (14mpg on test drive) and I think that vehicles like that are pointless for the road. It had every option though, heated leather, sat nav, reversing camera, parking distance sensors etc.

The x6 was a bit of a suprise though. Didnt like the way it looked but the engine was really nice. 3.0 ltr twin turbo diesel and it seemed to be quick for a large car. Still dont like the look of it mind you and I cant see bmw selling many of them!

Pics to follow!

Last edited:
DSC00565.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00572.jpg

1998 BMW e46 323i
Lucky you! I'd quite like a 120d hatch or better still a 123d saloon. Would be really happy with either if it wasn't for the engine eating itself quite often, something to do with the plastic inlets and the turbo. Puts me right off stumping up a fair whack of cash for one.

is dirty.
Sounds like a fun day. My father had a phone call the day before yesterday to go down to Trainers the local BMW dealership to see what offers they had on and test drive some cars. They have never done that before in his 14 years of BMW ownership.. Think are trying their best to sell some cars amidst the credit crunch and lack of people buying BMW's at the moment.