ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Washer fault, but motor sounds ok!?!

Clio Sport
Hi guys,

Any help/tips would be welcome:

I have a 2004 Clio & both the front and rear window washers dont work. The reservoir is full, ive made sure the holes are clear and the 2 motors which i guess are for the front and rear screens are making the normal noises that come from washing your windscreens and vibrating when i place my fingers on them.

Ive just taken off the wipers, removed the scuttle and looked for any obvious faults but cannot see any. I removed some piping for the rear jets and it dribbled out when pulling on the indicator but nothing when i did the same from the front. I did plan on removing the reservoir but it looks tougher to do than i thought - Do you remove it via the passenger footwell as the wiper mechanism is in the way under the bonet!?

Thanks in advance

P.s Ive done a search and it seems the usual fault is with the motors but surely they both dont fail at the same time & they make the right noises

172 ph-quick
Could still be the motor, i had the same with mine. Cant remember what theyre like on a ph2 but on my ph1 the front and rear squirters are both run from the same pump. Mine sounded fine but the mechanism inside was shot and barely dribbled out. Swapped it for a new pump (£12 i think from eurocarparts) and worked fine after that.

VaVa
I had the same trouble... Do you use neat screen wash by any chance? I took my pump to bits (I was going to replace it anyway, so figured it was worth a butchers!) and there's a sort of shuttle valve that directs flow to either front or back depending on the direction of the motor. It's a small cylindrical shaped bit of rubber with a metal sleeve. The rubber had swollen (i'm attributing this swelling to the screenwash!) and was effectively blocking both ports of the pump. I trimmed the rubber flush with the metal sleeve and put it back together. Worked a treat.

Worth a look if you've got a spare half hour.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
My screen washer pump is crap as well. Its a job I keep putting off but I'll have to get it done before the winter.

Jap Box
Same happened with me, I kept the pump going untill after a good 1/2mins washer fluid finally came out of it and worked. Back one I had to blow down the pipe which must have unclugged that, then run the rear washer for about 30 seconds, that worked then

Might be the same for you?