ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Watch out 172s...

S2000

Dave, we was comparing willys with 172s then cups got thrown in as well then I noticed craggys willy was chipped. Kind of evolved

mk2 172

mate, my willy was pullin better times than 172s before it was chipped, now its 0.2 of a second faster, six months ago on here a 172 would "paste" a chipped willy so god knows what the cup would have done. a chps not a turbo mate, at best i think its given 5hp. hardly 172bhp territory now is it.

mk2 172

teady, thats very nice but i aint a clue what your on about. anyways im happy with my car, it surpasses what it was supposed to do and anything else is a bonus, but im pretty sure i could hold a cup to 100 and see off a 172 mk2 all the way

well if i manage to get my turbo done i will run at the street car shoot out at elvington next year, they did standing 1.2 mile, 400m and a timed track event in fwd, rwd and awd classes, my favourite was a 700bhp skyline, hit 196mph in 1.2miles:D

mk2 172

never been all the way, 135 and counting, anymore than 130 is plain stupid imho, and going on top speed is a slower cars get-out, gearing could be a problem for one, either way doubt youd have the minerals, anyways how about a 0-140 race?, thought the 172 was supposed to be mustard off the line with 0-60 sub 7 secs? why would anyone need a rolling start with that performance? one would question the books accuracy......

all I am sayin is you need to compare like with like.

Anyway, in what terms do we define one car being "better than another" looks, 0-60, 0-100, 1/4mile, handling, track day fun, build, the list goes on.

If we are expressing opinions, Ive gotta say Ive never driven in a willy, or driven against one. Moreover, Ive never driven in a 172 hard, (should all change 2moro when mr cup arrives!) so my feelings are more based on looks and on reputation, than on 0-60 or 0-100. Feel free to flame me here folks, but I gotta be honest and say I do still love the looks of the willy, i always did and still think the willy/16v clios look tops. That said, the interior looks a bit dated now and although the willys are still fookin powerfull cars with a good reputation, if Id have wanted one, Id have bought one instead of a Cup. I like the Cup for the same reasons you all like your willys, (no sniggering from the ladies please) which is becuase they are meaty as fcuk, they looks the dogs, they are fast as a rat out of a sh!tpipe and theyre instantly recognisable because of the colour scheme. I would like to see a 0-60 and a 1/4 mile run, head to head, between a std willy and std cup, then swap drivers and see again. That would be interesting!

thoughts?

142 is my top speed but there was a little left (not much)

can you tell the difference now youve had the chip i imagine 0.2 over 1/4 mile is hard to detect

mk2 172

thats the thing dave, some willys are slow and some are fast, agreed my car before it was chpped would lose to a cup upto 100, but now it is chipped, as for it getting beat by a 172 before, fact is it never, and again i never said id take a cup even now, but dont be surprised if a was still close upto 100mph. after that , of course those extra horses come into play but most races dont last much longer so id have no gripes there getting beat. still cant see how a standard mk2 could beat me.

CTR EK9 turbo

If im comparing two cars acceleration. i.e. my friend pulsar and mine. Wed go out onto a long road and see. Now i believe my clio is a quick 172 in that i can beat up hill (around 120 mph me with 2 passengers, him with 1) a standard Nissan Pulsar GtiR. The driver wil argue that he had a hot intercooler and a hole in his exhaust but i still overtook him. Now do you willy drivers reckon you could achieve this? if you want to race il be up for it - chip or no chip, i have standard and a group N ecu that i can plug in and sellotape to the battery temporarily to toast you, as this will happen. I was up the arse of a "zorsted" scort Cossie a while back on the hogs back (n-reg black) and he couldnt pull away from me and i had to back off a few times - ask hugh (that was with the ecu.) if you have a standard willy and want to race, race me - a proper 172 that has only lost to a porsche 911 turbo and modded pulsar (same top end as pulsar tho). Ive raced a 3-door sierra cosworth from stand still and been exactly even and also (in a race) over taken a sapphire cosworth (the owner was VERY annoyed). My car has also TOASTED a Saxo VTS when i have been 4-up and him 2-up. His Saxo was modded also.

So any FAST williams want to race a FAST 172 I welcome you. P.s. I have much better brakes than a standard Williams i would have thought so youll be on the brakes when we reach a corner far earlier than i will and i will be able to brake later etc etc. And coupled with more torque/punch out of corners that my car has, i will be able to accelerate away from the corner quicker etc. I am normally a sedate driver, but when posed with a tough opposition I can be VERY aggresive with my driving (only late at night tho.)

To be honest each car is fast, but one is cheaper and older and one is newer and more expensive. I inherited lots of money from my grandma when she died and bought a more expensive, newer car than i could have previously afforded. I nearly bought a Prelude 1995 2.2 VTEC, that has similar bhp 0-60 etc i wonder how these do.

P.s. how do williams/valvers do against 1.8 16v golf gtis?

p.p.s. my friend with the saxo VTS has raced a few 172s and exclaims that a few hes been able to keep up with, but mine is an exception and totally urinates before his car, every time.

Could this whole topic be down to the driver???????????????

CTR EK9 turbo

sorry about the above/aggresive post, but im pretty drunk. Sorry if it causes offence.

All my OWN OPINION ETC ETC ETC ET C ETC ETC ET CET ECT

mk2 172

simon - get your car to a 1/4 mile day then instead of constantly saying how fast it is, there was an audi tt 225 at york the other day, 0-100 faster than a cossie, pulled 15.2 at best on strip, so id have overtaken him had i raced him. but i do have proof of pace. at the end of the day everyyone thinks there cars fast. if your cars quicker than fair play, anyways, if you read my posts iv referred to mk2 172 as the mk1s tend to be that bit faster. but until you prove it on the 1/4 no-one believes you, i found this out, and still people think they can beat you.

Renault Laguna Coupe

I have to say that having seen the Williams crew yesterday I would NEVER go on about beating one over a quarter mile or anything else in a 172. Those things are every bit as awesome as Renault intended them to be. Running consistent high 14s is not to be sniffed at. Chipping / tuning a 172 is still a black art at the moment, but until someone gets it right a good modded Willy still seems to hold the aces. Tim Os 172 was prettty damn good though. Got to get to work on mine - need to lose half a second before next season!

CTR EK9 turbo

craggy - fair play. Even if i did run a miraculous low 1/4 mile time, i only take into account who wins in a direct race/roads etc. never been on a track as most people seem to be concerned with whose is faster on road etc. Winning off lights and in gear accleration on motorways etc overtaking etc etc etc - hey il keep saying "etc. " sorry..... if you think about it, most people are concerned only with drag races anyway, so i might just go out and buy a V8 Capri and toast EVERYONE!!!!!! even brabus £250,000 slk mercs........TOASTED TOASTED TOASTED........

Have you raced any scoobs or pulsars yet? Guess what? that guy you argued with on the pulsar board has blown his up! he bought a hybrid turbo and ran too much boost BANG, ooops.....

Anyone want to continue this topic its on a new thread..........thought we were getting quite mature there for a mo.....

cupsize - god forbid that should happen eh??? :eek:

anyway, being a bear of verrrrry little brain this has all gone way beyond me, so Ill just leave you lot to fight it out to the bitter end - YAWN, YAWN :sleep: