ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Evo Renaultsport 182 review

Quote: Originally posted by jonnyboy on 02 February 2004

hmmm. Im seeing a lot of green eyed monster in this post. Fact. The 182 will be better than the cup or 172, it simply has to be. IMO any car thats better than the 172 deserves all the positive reviews. If it wasnt for the tailpipes I might be tempted lol

Does better mean faster or just all rounded appeal? I need to know as if it is faster than the cup I can feel a trade in coming! Current figures (even lopping a few .secs off for the famous engine run in) would suggest not?

Regards.....................

I think youre going to be looking at a 15.0 1/4 mile (as quoted by Reno), compared to the Cups 14.8 and the 172s 15.1. I wouldnt change for the extra 10bhp, but the chassis adjustments could sway me....

S2000

that is one excellent review though.

p.s I run Exaltos ( not 2s ) on my Cup and I really like them

Sounds like another excellent hot hatch from Renault.

Id really like to see a head-to-head feature with the Williams (like they did with the 172 etc), since the Willy is the only ghost the new 182 will need to lay to rest.

Tappd'd RS

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 02 February 2004

lets do it mate sounds like fun to me win or lose.
lol - I meant on TopGear or in a mag, but yours is definately an idea!

Shame bedford is so far from me (Glasgow).

I think both cars undoubted have their merits, Im sure you have your reasons for going for the 182 and I have mine for not and going for a CTR.

Can I go on record and say, I think both will be fantastic cars regardless of which people choose to buy. For that too, the Cup and 172 are excellent cars in their own right!

I dont like seeing 172s being sl*gged or cups etc. after all, it aint as if any of the cars are sh*te are they!?!

Cheers :D

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Hell no if it wasnt for the 172 there would be no cup or 182

like car magazine said the 172 was a five star car before the 182.

Ps i went for it cos it was cheap!!, and mad VFM.

best i could get for my money

insignia

anyone who hasnt already got a cup or a 172 and was going to get one,are now gonna get the 182 if they can afford it.not simply becoz its faster.if the 182 was the same performance as a 172 or cup i would still rather have the newer version.At the end of the day they are all made by renault.they are all very fast cars.they all handle like scalectrix,just newer model is updated and tweaked.Oh and you know that people are gonna notice this 182 that bit more-coz it looks that bit more special,bit more presence to it.

insignia

cheers mate.it does look real nice though cant wait to test drive the thing-see exactly how the changes feel.hopefully will have by next month or so,just waiting

Street Triple R

sorry....can someone just confirm that there isnt any torque increase........this has thrown my choice of next car right out the window! there are so many quick clios to choose from! which is a good thing! :D

Quote: Originally posted by jongsr4 on 02 February 2004

sorry....can someone just confirm that there isnt any torque increase........this has thrown my choice of next car right out the window! there are so many quick clios to choose from! which is a good thing! :D
No torque increase, but according to the figures Renault have published so far, it peaks slightly lower at 5250rpm (instead of 5400rpm i think).

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC

I think a few months down the line someones got to bring a 172mk2, Cup and 182 to a track and sort all these out good and proper...

fastest in a straight line and fastest round a track (no mods allowed!).

Then Ill decide on my future sl*g...

172, Tiguan

Ive already said im well up for taking my standard Cup ;)to a track to compare.

Tom and I have already discussed this in one form or another and Im perfectly happy to do a back to back test or the like. Not to prove that oh the cups the best car ever made blah blah, or the 182s better than the blah blah Just so we can get a good, fair comparison.

On another note, If i was buying a new Clio - which I wont be in future - Id get a 182. Im growing to like the wheels, and fair play its a development over the 172/Cup. Just as the MK2 Clio is a development over the MK1, etc etc.

(apologies if thats upset people)

Anyways, the track comparison is being organised.

320d M Sport

ace review and that car sounds wicked.

if it werent for the problems which mine (and all the others) have had, and the fact that the dealers seem to be fools, id look at getting one.

as for 0-60 etc, i hope were not bombarded with arguments over this...

Just decided to get a 172 instead of the 182.... for now ! Will wait for any teething problems in the first year or so, so I know what to expect to go wrong. The 182 sounds like a fantastic car but then so is the 172, I cannot justify paying £3000 more for a 182 at the moment, maybe in a years time or so it will be a different story. I still dont know about the tailpipes, maybe in a year or so they would have brought out a bigger size tailpipe to fit which would make the car look so much better ! Also, there may be a yellow colour around by then too !

:D

I dont think there are many green eyed monsters on here really, if you are happy with your existing car then that is all that matters, if not then maybe it is time to change.

At the end of the day this is good news for everyone who likes Renaults.

0-60 really makes no odds, my old mk1 was claimed at 6.6 where as the mk2 is 7.1,having just changed to a mk2 it feels no different.if it has lost a few 10 ths to 60 it makes up for it with better gearing.so the overall effect is the same.

fair play to those getting 182s,my mk2 172 is superb so adding 10 bhp/ps,tuned chassis and twin exhausts and cup options just hammers another nail in the coffin of the other car makers attempts to make hot hatches!

and adds another super hot hatch to the renault hall of fame!

insignia

yeah agree,you would think most the problems with the current 172&cup will be sorted for 1 hell of a top motor,just like when mk11 came out.infact never really liked the mk1s much and only started loving them when the mk11 arrived.

320d M Sport

hopefully they got the basic stuff fixed like:

4 K Rattle - lets hope you dont get 2 of these now!

Banging under accelaration

Knocking noise from suspension when full lock.

If theyd hold their hands up and admit theyve had a go at fixing these i could be swayed....

insignia

So has every 172 /cup got these same problems or is it jusat half of them? coz i wouldnt know yet,am gettin mine next month

Im interested in the no-bodyroll flat handling described in the review. I think my Cup has too much bodyroll and Im guessing the normal 172 is worse.

Anyone got better scans?

320d M Sport

Quote: Originally posted by 182 sport on 03 February 2004

So has every 172 /cup got these same problems or is it jusat half of them? coz i wouldnt know yet,am gettin mine next month
reno figures will prob say its the minority. u ask how many people on here have had 1 or all the above though!!

i dont know many cars that have done 12,000 without one of those occuring.

It was a review like that in EVO about the mk1 172 that got me into clios. Sounds like theyve done a good job but I would think that it is almost certain that new 182 owners will face the same problems us 172 owners have had. Over 2 years on and 25k miles later all I hear on certain corners is clonking - however, at the end of the day they are all fabulous cars with a seductive blend of power, performance, handling. I dont know about Va Va Voom but definitely Va Va VFM.

*edit* Ill have a 182 in *that* yellow with the cup options please!

Hey folks, get yourself a MK1 172, at just 1045kg EVO clocked it at 6.6 seconds. Ill be selling mine for an Impreze Spec C in the summer. Joy of joys Ill hopefully be able to get a sh*t-eating grin out of every BMW driver I meet.

Tee-hee, naughty Tubbs!

Quote: Originally posted by D-CUP on 03 February 2004

Im interested in the no-bodyroll flat handling described in the review. I think my Cup has too much bodyroll and Im guessing the normal 172 is worse.

Anyone got better scans?
Wanna try driving a golf mate, by comparison the cup is perfect

Yeah I know, my mums got one. Its like driving a boat, worst handling car Ive ever driven. And the brakes are terrible aswell. And the steering.