ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Watched a glasses free 3D tv.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Had some digital sign company come round to my work yesterday with a big truck. In it they had a load of big multi touch displays which were much like a giant ipad which was quite cool.

But the best thing they had was a Phillips (I think) glasses free 3D TV:eek:.
I have to say I was really impressed by it. The 3D was as good as any I've seen that require glasses and seemed to work well from any angle I got to look at it (which was a bit limited in the back of a truck!). The only thing I could see wrong with it was that sometimes it looked a bit pixely when close up but I think that might have been more to do with the content they had.
After seeing it I think that when it becomes more available and cheaper then 3d tv will finally come of age.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Does it still suffer from the 'pop-up book' look (which I appreciate not all current content suffers from)?

Arctic 182 FF
I remember reading an article about these when 3D TV first became popular. I thought this kind of technology was years away.. obviously not!

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Does it still suffer from the 'pop-up book' look (which I appreciate not all current content suffers from)?
The stuff they were showing didn't but thats not to say other stuff might still be a bit like that...
I remember reading an article about these when 3D TV first became popular. I thought this kind of technology was years away.. obviously not!
I didn't get chance to ask how much it was but it shows that they're definitely on the way:D.
Is this like the 3D they have on the Nintendo 3DS which f**ks your eyes after a while?
No the 3DS only works when you look at it straight on. This TV worked from some good angles still. It might still f**k with your eyes like the ones with glasses do for some people but I didn't get chance to watch it for long enough to find out.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
they had one in harrods about 2 years ago... wasn't great quality but it worked.

dk

911 GTS Cab
the technology has moved on a long way since that set, i saw that set too and it was s**t.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
it wasn't "s**t" it displayed a 3d picture, without the need for 3d glasses at the same time that tv's were just coming out with 3d tech... so it was far from s**t. You could site there and see an image pop out of the screen without any other need for glasses etc... plus it was a good 2-3 years ago... so samsung deserve praise for doing it.

Just because you didn't get a boner over it because you couldn't buy it and brag about it doesn't make it s**t, the quality wasn't even close to great, but it provided a 3d video without glasses.

2.2 bar shed.
I've got a HTC Evo 3D and the glasses free 3d is fantastic imo. You can easily have 2/3 people watching it at varying angles all getting the effect. Dont see how it cant be scaled up in time, cant say I love 3d that much though. Alot of the content is 3d for the sake of it, and tbh its just s**t.

dk

911 GTS Cab
it wasn't "s**t" it displayed a 3d picture, without the need for 3d glasses at the same time that tv's were just coming out with 3d tech... so it was far from s**t. You could site there and see an image pop out of the screen without any other need for glasses etc... plus it was a good 2-3 years ago... so samsung deserve praise for doing it.

Just because you didn't get a boner over it because you couldn't buy it and brag about it doesn't make it s**t, the quality wasn't even close to great, but it provided a 3d video without glasses.

no, it was definitely s**t, i commented as such on here too at the time, it really was poor, very poor, you couldn't move off centre either, it was barely even 3d pop out. yes it was good tech for the time but really was s**t at the same time.

I know what i saw, and it was s**t, even if it had been £1000, i still wouldn't have even thought about it as it was so bad. if i searched enough i'd probably be able to find the comment on here about it at the time, but i can't be bothered.

and i don't remember it being samsung either, pretty sure it was LG or toshiba

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
So toshiba have put their glasses free 3D tv on sale. I'm in London working this week and will be near John Lewis on Thursday so I'm going to call in and check it out and see if it's a big improvement on the one I saw a couple of years ago, which it must be.

image001.jpg
Toshiba has today started sales of what is claimed to be the world's first glasses-free 3D television set in London.

The 55-inch 55ZL2 model, which is available now to order in the UK for the first time, uses a different type of technology to create 3D pictures.

Instead of viewers needing special glasses, the set displays 3D images for multiple viewing positions simultaneously.

An integrated camera features face-tracking technology, which monitors the viewers' position and directs the different images for their left and right eyes in real time.

The result is that the images shown have a small offset, or parallax; thus creating the illusion of three-dimensional depth when watching 3D television programmes or DVDs.

Alongside glasses-free 3D, the ZL2's 55-inch PRO-LED screen boasts a Quad Full HD (3840 x 2160) resolution, backed up by Toshiba's multi-core CEVO Engine processing platform.

Toshiba's Resolution+ system upscales content such as HD broadcasts and Blu-ray movies to image quality "beyond Full HD 1080p resolution", while 2D content can also be up-converted to 3D.

An integrated Freeview HD gives users access to all the digital terrestrial television channels and networks, while the Toshiba Places content portal offers a variety of on-demand services, such as LIVESPORT.TV, YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Acetrax Movies, Facebook and Twitter.

Users can record programmes onto the flash USB drive or external HDD, while the set also has integrated WiFi, DLNA and Windows 7 compatibility for wirelessly streaming content from external devices directly to the 55-inch display.

Toshiba's free remote control app enables users to control their TV viewing with a smartphone or tablet.

The 55ZL2 is available now for in-store demonstrations at John Lewis Oxford Street and Harrods, both in London. Customers can order the set in-store and online, although it is priced at an eye-watering £6,999.

Mito Sportiva 135
I really have very little interest in 3d and think it's scope as a technology is limited compared to say HD which improves just about everything. Eastenders in 3d...what does that offer a viewer? Not sure. Willing to be proved wrong but for me it is a fad and superfluos technology.