ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water in driver/passenger footwell when using air con

Clio 182
​Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has anything similar happen with their clio. Basically after a journey there's drips of water in my driver/passenger footwell and I've just noticed under the drivers seat is soaked too. I've done a lot of research on here any can't really find any conclusive answers.

I assume its one of two things, either heater matrix has gone, or from searching the forum a blocked air con drain pipe? Here's where it gets a little bit interesting though. The water will only leak when the air con is on. When the heaters are on its fine although it steams the windows up like mad (obviously because there is water everywhere).

Coolant has dropped a bit, perhaps half a glass of water in about 5 months. I've tried some radweld, not expecting it to work but its always worth a try, it's made no difference.

Anyone had an experiences? What I need to know is where the air con drain pipe is, I can then whack some air up it and clear it and see if that fixes it. If not, I know I need to replace the heater matrix (not looking forward to that).

Cheers all.

obcuz

ClioSport Club Member
Check your scuttle drains, if they are blocked - the rain or wash water can build up and then it will leak in through the bulkhead aircon fitments into the car.

The fact that it happens whilst the aircon is on could be the result of vibration around poor fitting bulkhead seals.

You can test by pouring water into the scuttle below the windscreen - it should noticeably drain out behind n/s & o/s wheel arches and also the centre of the bulkhead behind the engine, if it doesn't then the respective drain will be blocked..

Renault Clio 1.2 TCe
There is a drain pipe usually at the bottom of the evaporator housing that blocks up, rarely but it does and when it does the water that is suppose to just drain onto the floor under the car spills out of the housing and onto your carpet. Thats something i've experienced in the past but like has already been mentioned, check your scuttle panel drains first.