ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pump failures?

BG Clio 182 FF
I'll be getting both belts and dephaser changed in the next couple of weeks. Did ask the garage that will hopefully be doing the work about changing the water pump but they reckon it won't need doing.

Are water pump failures rare? Car has just turned 80,000 miles.

Logic tells me that surely it would make sense to change it - but also don't want to go spunking money if there's no point.

Opinions?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its rare for them to fail, and its quite awkward to change them, but that said, your logic is without flaws that if it goes go in the future you will get a much bigger bill than it will cost you to add it to the bill now.

Lionel Richie
I use to say don't bother, think i had done about 20 in 15years, then roll on 2014 and i've probably done 30+ this year

BG Clio 182 FF
Its rare for them to fail, and its quite awkward to change them, but that said, your logic is without flaws that if it goes go in the future you will get a much bigger bill than it will cost you to add it to the bill now.

Ach, I don't know what's best to be honest. Knowing my luck I'll leave it to save £150 then two weeks later the pump will let go.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I use to say don't bother, think i had done about 20 in 15years, then roll on 2014 and i've probably done 30+ this year

Sign of how corrosion over time effects things like pumps, especially as the cars get cheaper and are less likely to have the correct coolant etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just check for play. But then for the sake of 20 or 30 squid u may as well

Ben

You will be doing well to find a decent mechanic who will only charge 20 quid extra to supply and fit a decent quality water pump, its quite awkward cleaning it up properly etc so does add time to the job beyond just undoing and doing up a few bolts.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
They can and do go, worth changing imo when doing belts otherwise they can also become noisy and be misdiagnosed as other problems by some garages .

npt

BMW 320d- 172 cup
i would get it done if i was you, got mine done recently when getting the belts done also, be aswell to change the thermostat at the same time for peace of mind whilst coolant is drained

Volvo S60 T5
I have done a few this year , not had a failed pump as such but plenty with play and signs of leakage.
b******s to do it the stupid bolts are siezed in but otherwise adds about 45 mins to job.

Mine went on my 172 a little while back.

If you can change it, change it. When mine went it made a big mess.

The lad was picking bits of metal out the bay for ages. Bearings ended up throwing the aux belt off along with a small explosion.

206,172 Cup,focus,X5
You will be doing well to find a decent mechanic who will only charge 20 quid extra to supply and fit a decent quality water pump, its quite awkward cleaning it up properly etc so does add time to the job beyond just undoing and doing up a few bolts.

Yes i do know mate. I was talking like he was going to.do it himself. Easy job.