ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Water pump - how to?

So my water pump ate itself on the way home last night..
How much do I have to take off to change it ? Had a new alternator and aux belt kit ~200 miles ago but will probably put a new belt on.
Can I just relieve belt tension and lower the engine with the wheel and arch liner off and get to it that way? Or is it less simple?

Fiesta ST2 MP215
It's extremely bad practice to re tension a belt, you will need a new belt at least, easiest way is bumper and headlight off, you do not need to tip the lump.

Yes will get a new belt. And a tub of type D. Excellent so its pretty easy to get to then just bumper and light out of the way.
Thanks for your reply.

172, Tiguan
Go easy on the bolts holding it in. They are made of a soft cheese, similar to Brie.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Drain the coolant via the bottom rad hose. You'll only get half of everything that falls out I'd imagine.

The bolts are e8 inverted torx head.

I don't have your aux set up so can't comment on getting the other crapola out of the way.

There is a bit of cambelt casing you'll also need loosen to aid getting it out and the new gasket in.

Lower the engine to get the pump out properly and prepare for more liquid coming out also.

Gasket remover and take a long time to propely remove the old gasket.

Shove it all back together. Fill with coolant and use the bleed screw on the side of the coolant housing.

All sorted now cheers fellas. Would have been a much quicker job if the old gasket stuck to the water pump and not the block!
Turns out there was nothing wrong with the old water pump at all, it must have been leaking from the old gasket.