ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

wax dulling polish?

astra vxr
Car is red alfa 147.

At the moment im using AG ultra deep shine (polish), then Turtle wax 'original hard shell wax' (paste wax). After polishing the paint is shiny and reflective but when i give it the coat of wax over the top it seems to dull the paint and reduce the shiny reflectivness the polish gives:S . It also seems not to bead water aswell as the polish by itself.

So;
1.is there a product i can apply between the polish, wax stage.

2.or do i try a different wax or polish combination if so what?

Thanks Karl

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I'd dump the turtle wax and get some decent wax .

Something that is easy to apply and remove like the xxx hardcore past wax is very good from www.carwashnwax.com

Or another easy one that i like is the liquid souveran .

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/pinnacle-liquid-souveran-p-77.html

I apply it with the microfibre applicators , i find them easier to use than the little yellow foam pads , some people think they soak of more product but i think its negligible . I get most of my stuff off carwashnwax now tbh , the prices and service is always spot on .

A good sealant recommended by Rich after the polish and before the wax is JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Jett Trigger

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb214protect.html

astra vxr
so you think get a better wax and use a sealent in between layers.

whats better a liquid/spray/paste wax?

i use a microfibre applicator for the polish and a foam one for wax, then a different microfibre cloth to remove. is that ok?

cheers

karl

106 GTi
The Autoglym Ultra Deep Shine is designed to be a stand alone product and not be topped. Autoglym even say there own Extra Gloss Protection Sealant wont bond ontop of it.

I am not a fan of the UDS so would be tempted to ditch that and the Turtle Wax IMO.

Spray sealants are the easist to use, when it comes to waxes liquid or paste it is down to personal preference really. Liquid waxes are better suited by machine.

Sealant first then wax, they won't work the other way round. As long as you use a clean applicator for each product - the differnces between foam and mf ones is again down to your own preference.

I would look at Klasse AIO and Jeffs Acyrlic Jett Sealant or Autoglym Super Resin and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection as a base.

Top this off with a nice pure Carnuba wax. For pure out and out looks Chemical Guys 50/50 wax or Pinnacle Souveran. If you want something that will last longer and be better suited for the winter months, maybe consider Meguiars 16 or Zymol Carbon.

astra vxr
thanks for that, looks like ill use up whats left of the UDS and bin the turtle wax. Ill go for SRP an EGP as i like the autoglym stuff and then i need a pure wax with no cleaners etc... in it

cheers karl

106 GTi
UDS stood up ok as a stand alone product on my daily drive so you may aswell use it up. I found it to be not the easyist product on or off.

astra vxr
if you leave it a bit too long you need a hammer and chisel to take it off. The megs 16, is that what its called as ive just searched and can only find the NXT wax which is an all in one. I have found a xxx pure wax willthis suit my needs, how many coats of each do you put on, is it like 1 coat of polish + sealent then as many wax coats to top it up.

sorry for all the questions but im afraid a bucket of water and a sponge isnt enough any more

cheers

karl

106 GTi
XXX will look good but doubt it will last like the 16 will do.

I try to get 2 or 3 layers of sealant on and top with a couple of layers of wax.

astra vxr
ace thanks for all your inputs looks like a big orders going to be placed. is one coat of polish good enough or does it depend on the quality of the paintwork

cheers

karl