ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wax not lasting very long

182 BG
Hi guys, bit of a noob question here...

The paintwork on my clio is a bit faded in places, looks like its spent a lot of its life in the sun to be honest... I've been using the 'Turtle Wax Colour Magic' on it, which claims to be a wax coating as well as a colour restorer... Whilst I know it masks the issue rather than solves it, I'm just wondering, can I go over it with another wax? To give it like a hard coating ontop, because it only seems to last for a week or so, then fades back to its orginal state, with all the scratches becoming nice and obvious too...

Also, I'm a bit confused about an Autoglym product I was looking at to use instead, its 'super resin polish', but claims its a sealant too? Am I right in thinking that you should use a polish, THEN go over it with a Wax/sealant??

So confused.... Why can they not keep product names simple :p

Cheers,
MCTW

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
super resin is a great product, will help with scratches and swirls, it will also give the paint a nice shine, but a layer of either a sealant such as Auto Glym Extra Gloss Protection, or a wax based product like Auto Glym hi def wax, will finish it off and help with the longevity of the shine.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
The main reason your 'wax' isnt lasting long is because it isn't very good.

Go for
Polish - Sealant - Wax
Or
Polish - Sealant
Or
Polish - Wax.

Super resin polish is pretty good by hand and will mask some of your defects. Its also a fairly decent base for sealing products, but as a sealant on its own it wont last long at all.

As above, Super resin polish (SRP) followed by Autoglym HD wax is pretty good entry level route to go down. It will give you weeks of protection after polishing, so all that needs doing is to top the wax up every few weeks after washing.

STEALTH RAIDER
Hi mctw, the color fading your experiencing is due to oxidised paint which is caused by a number of factors. UV exposure, industrial fallout, weather, care of the vehicle. All these and many more attack your cars paintwork and over due time it will damage the topcoat of your car. The color match wax you will be using is just a very temporary method and will probably come off after a few hard showers. Super resin polish is a product that has an all in one purpose but is not the most effective on what people use it for. Its gives a good shine, very little protection and (polish) in the product name basically means it is so very slightly abrasive that would only be able to shift ultra fine marks which is not a lot nowadays. It has filling properties which means it masks off a large number of the finer swirl markings which makes the appearance of the car look 10x better. Putting a wax over the SRP will prolong the layer underneath, protecting what you have already done. If coats are not put on regular enough then the weather will soon deteriorate your wax and then eat away at the SRP leaving you at stage 1 again.

If you want the best possible look from your car, you might want to read through a few of other peoples experiences and what has been recommended within their/your budget. From the problem you have stated about fading paintwork, maybe some form of machining work will need to be undertaken to rectify the problem and get a decent wax put on there to protect the finish. The cheaper product you use, the less protection duration you will get. The cleaner and oil free the paintwork is, the better a product will bond to it and last as it should.

Depending what area your in, im sure somebody could give you a heads up on some of the work that needs to be done and possibly help you in return of a small fee or a few beer tokens and a nice bacon sarnie ;). Good luck mate!!! Lew