ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wax on Wax off

Right, i was washing my car last night - used some turtle wax car shampoo and was then gonna wax it. Then my dad comes down stairs -

hope you arent going to use MY wax blah blah blah, paid good money, blah blah, buy your own you littel git, blah blah.

He also told me that if i wax my car it takes a layer of paint off!!! Eh? Cant be right - thought that only happened when you used t-cut or something. Am i wrong? Surely the point of wax is that it leaves a shiny layer on the body work?

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

polish takes off paint?! never heard this before...so if u polish ur car a lot ur saying itll eventuallt leave it with bare metal? surely not.

Exactly! Think my dad was just trying to stop me from using his wax - burk! So once you have applied the wax and left it ten mins - when you take it off, it doesnt remove a layer of paint at all does it?

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

proper wax has no cleaning or abrasive agents in at all. polish is slightly abrasive and should be done less often.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I wash my car once a week, and carnuba wax whenever the weather is nice.. eg about once a year :)

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by toms123 on 07 May 2004

Exactly! Think my dad was just trying to stop me from using his wax - burk! So once you have applied the wax and left it ten mins - when you take it off, it doesnt remove a layer of paint at all does it?
If that was the case, my cars would all have been down to the bare metal! What a load of rubbish - plenty of wax keeps them shiny - just get a clean white duster with some wax on it and rub it into your paintwork and see how much paint comes off! Your dad didnt want you to use his stuff!

:D

Wax doesnt make it shiny.. it seals whatever shine you have.

Polish makes it shiny.. Wax seals it in.

Thats why Meguiars is 3 stage - 1 stage to clean (is a little abbrasive), 2 stage to bring the colour out, 3 stage to seal it all in!

Clio 1.6 16v 2003

super resin wax that i use and the new meguiars nxt tech wax do make the car shiny and seal it in.

The Jinx

Separate ones are best though. Must say that I polished mine last w/e with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and it looked pretty good. Just need to wax it now.