ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WD Network hard drive to Airport Express

6/468 17poo
Right I need some help regarding setting up a network in my house and buying the right bits:

I will have wireless 10mb internet from virgin (looks like its my only choice) and im gonna buy wd network drive and an airport express for music and printing.

My question is will the airport express pick up an itunes library from a network drive such as this one:
http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Networking...N-2TB-HARD-DRIVE-Networking-Hard-Drive/593885

it says it supports iTunes?

As i want the ps3 to pick up all the movies from here so can play them on tv and link the ps3 to my pioneer amp to stream music too, then have the airport in another room?

Ryan

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The airport express only streams through iTunes, it won't stream directly from a network drive.

Apple have changed the way sharing works with iTunes recently, it went from being s**t to being completely s**t.

Although the private key that the airport express uses has been exposed, so it's possible that third party streamers will come along which will work much better.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Yes it should work, I've just added my entire iTunes library to the 2TB Western Digital My Book - it works flawlessly!

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Can also use it for Time Machine and connect additional Hard Drives through the USB connection at the back. It's very impressive.

6/468 17poo
Sweet, cheers Simon I'm on the case tomo for Virgin installation so hopefully ill get all this set up pretty swiftly!

SchwepTek™
^ I think u and Simon are getting confused between Express and Extreme?

Extreme has a USB port for connecting a hard drive to use with Time Machine.

USB port on Express is only for Printer Sharing.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Sorry for confusing things. I'm not using either just my standard Virgin Media router which came with the installation - you should get the same so there's not much need to buy an Express or Extreme!

The WD drive is connected to my network via Ethernet cable and can be backed-up using Time Machine wireless or with the cable.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Sorry for confusing things. I'm not using either just my standard Virgin Media router which came with the installation - you should get the same so there's not much need to buy an Express or Extreme!

The WD drive is connected to my network via Ethernet cable and can be backed-up using Time Machine wireless or with the cable.

Unless you want to use it to share a printer or play music from like the op mentioned!

Fwiw, we have two airport expresses and they seem to dislike the virgin superhub, they just disappear off the network. There have been a couple of firmware updates in the last few weeks for the superhub which have addressed lots of networking problems, but I haven't had the chance to test them out yet.