ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wedding Photographers

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Me and the missus' (almost) are getting married next June in Bolton.

I've took control of booking a photographer as for me its one of the most important things!

As I know theres plenty of enthusiasts on here I was wondering if anyone knows of anyone in the North West who comes highly recommended?

It's a great place and deserves some justice!

Cupra
I shot my first wedding a couple of weekends ago. It was one of the hardest days work I have had for a while and I have a new found respect for the pros.

I did a fair amount of research beforehand and looked at a lot of other photographers portfolios and one which really stood out from the crowd was this guy:

http://charleysmithweddingphotography.com/

He covers all of the UK, but I am guessing that the quality of his work comes with a suitable price tag.

My shots of a typical Amsterdam wedding are here... just in case you were curious. ;)

I shot my first wedding a couple of weekends ago. It was one of the hardest days work I have had for a while and I have a new found respect for the pros.

I did a fair amount of research beforehand and looked at a lot of other photographers portfolios and one which really stood out from the crowd was this guy:

http://charleysmithweddingphotography.com/

He covers all of the UK, but I am guessing that the quality of his work comes with a suitable price tag.

My shots of a typical Amsterdam wedding are here... just in case you were curious. ;)

Took me up until picture 12 to realise. Was looking for the bride for ages.

Cupra
Lol, it was an interesting day! First wedding shoot, and I didn't even have a bride to take pics of. :)

a thirsty one
congratulations mate,

i used a NW based chap he does the more reportage style (sp)? (not posed) but will of course cover the big group shots etc, i think i had about 8 set staged shots for my wedding he is a pro photographer for various magazines advertising companies etc but also does some weddings each year he has done about 4 weddings for people i know he is that good they all booked him after seeing his work at weddings they attended as guests. i'll dig his details out.

Mini Cooper S
PM me your email address and I'll get my brother to complile you an email - an experienced wedding photographer. He can travel & do videography too, obviously not just him - his team. They've just recently done Alex Winehouse's engagement party. (Amy Winehouse's brother).

Hyundai i40
Whoever designed his website should be shot. Lots of out of aspect shots and a generally shocking website. Whilst the end product looks pretty good I wonder how many sales he looses with that site.

Since looking for a photographer for my wedding, ive come accross a few awful sites that have put me off. Yet i went to a wedding fair at weekend and there were a few photographers there who i had been on there awful website and they were actually really good!

It's very surprising how many great photographers have such awful websites.

It's a showcase. Many people will first find you online, so you need to stand out. It doesn't need to do billions of things with flash and stupid transitions. Be simple, clear pictures and easy to navigate. Simple.

Oil Burner
Have a look here, they are in the North East though

http://www.2tonephotography.f2s.com/

Friend of my wifes from school and the pictures are very good

Scott

Thats probably the best one so far in my opinion. One thing that always bugs me about wedding photography is the way that so many shots are converted to B+W or Greyscale and then given a vignette. Photographers like that one that can use colour well really stand out.

Very good and also a 'good' price.

Many average people charge more than them. Their albums aren't cheap though!! Lol.

Ian

Focus TDCi
Very good and also a 'good' price.

Many average people charge more than them. Their albums aren't cheap though!! Lol.

That's because Queensberry albums are about as expensive as they come. :) They won't be making much on them.

Suzuki Ignis
Im not a wedding photographer but am a photographer looking for wedding experience as a second shooter. So should you decide to go with someone from here Id like to offer myself as a second shooter, if the photographer would let me :) Ill keep an eye on this thread.

Where abouts in Bolton you getting married?

Looking for 182
Lol.. 'If expenses are covered' so thought, he says he's part time, so will just be a nominal fee, while he learns his trade!

Can't take the expenses (hardly like you're traveling to NZ) out of what you charge?

Every photographer is learning, whether they're full time or not. I would hope my work speaks for itself, as well as the comments I have received from clients so far. As for the comment about it being a nominal fee, my rates are very competitive considering what I offer (royalty free images, high quality coffee table albums and up to 12 hours coverage on the day). I'm an honest person so prefer that people know this is my part time venture, although I am registered as a sole trader with all the correct accounting methods in place and I am fully insured (gear, public liability and professional indemnity). It just so happens that I work in web design Monday to Friday.

I don't plan to ever go full time so it's hardly like I am "learning my trade" in that respect, but of course I am learning constantly, as is every photographer, from someone who has done it for 1 year to someone who has done it for 10 years. This does not impact the time or effort I put into my photography and so has very little impact. If anything it just means that because I don't NEED the jobs, I can afford to charge less.

I think you'll also find that most wedding photographers will charge travel expenses when travelling outside a certain mileage radius, which in this case I would be.

I appreciate the really useful reply to my post though, next time I need business advice I'll definitely give you a shout. Of course if I have misinterpreted your post (which is quite possible due to the terrible English) then I apologies for my obvious sarcasm.

Last edited:
Every photographer is learning, whether they're full time or not. I would hope my work speaks for itself, as well as the comments I have received from clients so far. As for the comment about it being a nominal fee, my rates are very competitive considering what I offer (royalty free images, high quality coffee table albums and up to 12 hours coverage on the day). I'm an honest person so prefer that people know this is my part time venture, although I am registered as a sole trader with all the correct accounting methods in place and I am fully insured (gear, public liability and professional indemnity). It just so happens that I work in web design Monday to Friday.

I don't plan to ever go full time so it's hardly like I am "learning my trade" in that respect, but of course I am learning constantly, as is every photographer, from someone who has done it for 1 year to someone who has done it for 10 years. This does not impact the time or effort I put into my photography and so has very little impact. If anything it just means that because I don't NEED the jobs, I can afford to charge less.

I think you'll also find that most wedding photographers will charge travel expenses when travelling outside a certain mileage radius, which in this case I would be.

I appreciate the really useful reply to my post though, next time I need business advice I'll definitely give you a shout. Of course if I have misinterpreted your post (which is quite possible due to the terrible English) then I apologies for my obvious sarcasm.

Lol. Jeeees. Didn't realise it was time of the month. Not sure where my English is terrible though :(

I wasn't having a go, nor was I criticising your work. I've seen better than yours and I've seen a lot worse, but that wasn't my point.

You say you're part time, so I was expecting you to charge a nominal fee. Obviously it's the sort of job where there is no set price, so you can charge as much or as little as you wish, but you made yourself sound unprofessional with the part time bit, so I wasn't expecting rather high prices. That's all. And for the sake of a tank of petrol, with your £650 price, I would have thought you would include that.

Your website also doesn't mention any sort of coffee table book for the £650 package.

I think you're selling yourself short by saying you're 'part time' it just makes you sound like you aren't good enough to do it full time when infact you're probably better than a lot of people who do it for a job. We'll call that lesson 1 for your business advice.

german
I did spot it yes, but I guess you were in full rant mode and typing like a nutter :D. £650 is a good price - the fact you're "part time" and not doing it as "job" (not that the two terms are mutually exclusive anyway) is not in any way related to your experience/cost/value.
Best not to mention your part time nature though as people will get the wrong end of the stick as already mentioned. Ours only mentioned it in conversation, but by that stage we'd already seen the quality of his work and found out he was also a top bloke.