ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Weird acceleration problem

Have a problem with my 172 cup, have booked it in with Renault but was wondering if anyone else had this problem or if anyone could shed light on possible causes. In first, second and third gear as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator pedal the car immediately accelerates. However in fourth and fifth when I put my foot on the accelerator there is about an inch of pedal travel before the engine accelerates. Once this pedal travel is overcome the engine accelerates without problem......................any ideas???

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

have you tried the car stationary,keep clutch in, engage 4th gear then see if there is any difference in reving/pedal travel to the other gears.

Perhaps I did not make myself completely clear.... I am not running out of power to push at these speeds....I could put the car into 4th gear at 40 and it would still do the same thing...and as for being normal I have never had a car where there is no free play in the accelerator pedal in the first three gears and then a chunk in the final two - surely if this were normal the free play would be in all gears???

Its weird, cus I wouldnt have thought the engine would know what gear its in? Or even care, heh.

Maybe the ECU knows what gear is selected? If its drive-by-wire like the 182, with no throttle cable, then Id say potential is there for a problem?

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 20 February 2005

Maybe the ECU knows what gear is selected? If its drive-by-wire like the 182, with no throttle cable, then Id say potential is there for a problem?
Yea, well, MkII 172s dont have a throttle cable, so Id have thought the Cup is the same.

Hi Daveb11 i had very similar problems with my 172 cup only when i pushed the accelerator the car lost all of its power and then after about 2 seconds it would apply all the power at once causing wheel spin so i took it to renault who told me a load of bullsh*t about the way i had been driving the car and that it was my fault i have since found out that the engine management system was to blame and a simple reprogramming has completely cured the fault it may also have something to do with removing the battery when i first took mine back it did it again and after speaking to someone from the AA they told me to disconect the battery for ten mins dont bother it only makes it worse mine now however is running fine.

Also dave you car accelerator pedal is no longer a cable link now on new cars it is a potentiometer which sends an electrical signal to the engine management which may well decide in some cases not to apply the power until the car thinks it is the right time to do this for economy reasons, hope this helps you a little

Cheers everyone. Was not aware that there was no accelerator cable on the 172 cup. One of my mates suggested that it might have been an ecu prob, at least when it goes in I will be prepared in the event that the friendly Renault types try to fob me off

Sorry guys,

The MK1 had a cable, both MK2s had exactly the same.

The management system does not look at what gear you are in. Totally natural to have little exelleration in the high gears;)

Quote: Originally posted by blaze on 20 February 2005

Sorry guys,

The MK1 had a cable, both MK2s had exactly the same.

The management system does not look at what gear you are in. Totally natural to have little exelleration in the high gears;)

whats that !!??

ClioSport 182

Quote: Originally posted by daveb11 on 20 February 2005

Perhaps I did not make myself completely clear.... I am not running out of power to push at these speeds....I could put the car into 4th gear at 40 and it would still do the same thing...and as for being normal I have never had a car where there is no free play in the accelerator pedal in the first three gears and then a chunk in the final two - surely if this were normal the free play would be in all gears???
I posted something like this a little while back with my 182. It seems like in the first few mm of pedal travel there is no response in the higher gears (4 and 5). I was a little worried, however, exactly the same happens on my wifes Polo diesel. To be honest, I think its normal.

KnightAzul

Have looked at the accelerator and as fatbob correctly states, there is no cable. I cannot believe as some people have stated that this is normal. I have driven many cars (some new, some old) and have never found this particular feature. The fact is that it is not just a couple of mm, this travel is, without overstating, at least an inch - to the point where you really notice it. As I mentioned I have it booked in in a couple of weeks time (earliest reno could get me a courtesy car). Will post with their answer and any remedy.

Also should point out that I realise that in the higher gears the engine will not accelerate as much. The problem lies with the amount of pedal travel before the engine responds which is not there in the lower gears.

As an example imagine applying the brakes three times and the brakes bite in the same place each time then the fourth and fifth time you depress the pedal there is an inch of freeplay before the brakes bite. (Only my problem is with the accelerator - but you get my drift)

maybe because your higher up the gears u need more fuel to create power so the first inch isnt doing anything simply because there isnt enough power being made by the engine at that point to actually pull? if that makes sense?

ClioSport 182

Let us know if you get anywhere. You may have a problem if the travel is an inch! In my case it wasnt like this ...

KnightAzul