ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Went to the Auctions Last Night.

Clio Dynamique
Bargain of the night for me, definatly!

51 Plate 172 - Silver Colour, Looked absolutly Mint!

Only Went For £3100!

Full Service History

Tax

Test, and was absolutly Mint...

Just thought i would share all with you.

Meg on pistonheads £6995
auctions are a cracking way to buy motors - I reckon the grand+ you save is worth the small element of risk!

as long as full history and buy on condition, no different to private or dealer except loads cheaper

I've bought a 106 & Xsara in the past both well under trade book price (about 2K of forecourt) - both were minters with under 10K

mini cooper (RIP 172)
gota ask yourself why is the car been sold at auction?

but lots great cars to be picked up and good prices if you know whats what

PH2 172
My dad loves the auctions buys smashed up cars and repairs them and sells them on a 106 gti went for £700 once ony had slight dent and missing a arch

Meg on pistonheads £6995
why dubious - a pile o' shite is easy to spot wherever it is!

most is stuff that's been on forecourts for 60 days+, trade-in or ex-lease/fleet (often bought by main dealers, 2K added then sold back to you!)

think about it?

how often is a car on a dealer forecourt 'local' with all the right papers to hand when you ask?

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Id be wary of auctions and i go to them all the time.

Went to one in bawtry yesterday and was looking at a golf gti for a m8 who i was with.

As we were looking around i spotted an old car i used to have around a year and a half ago, a p reg bmw m3 evo saloon - i bought it smashed up in need of a front end from universal salvage as a cat D. Looked around it and on its listing printed on the windscreen it said hpi clear!

I though "wtf is going on here then" and asked the woman in the office why they are selling a recorded damaged car as "hpi" clear.

She told me it wasn't recorded damaged and i must have got the wrong car!

So i proceed to tell he the woman loads of things about the car that only an previous owner would know ie chassis legs have been straightned and had a poor respray so i had to take it back to the bodyshop to be redone and they refurbished the alloys in shadow chrome for free to say sorry.

She didnt seem to believe me and still sold the car that night - only went for £2250 and i almost bidded on it myself at that price as i know the engine + box was good in it. Rang the previous owner who's a friend and he mentioned a garage he traded it in at hpi'd it and it came up as cat D like it should and only got £1800 for it because of it being recorded.

So god knows how one garage can hpi it and it come back cat D and a auction house can show me "Proof" of it being hpi clear in the space of a week.

Clio Dynamique
dont get me wrong, im not saying that what you get the the auctions are amazing they are all straight and true, in all honesty 4 maybe 5 out of 10 probably arent.

You can still pick up a bargain there though. I just thought a 51 Plate 172, with FSH and all the relevant papers at £3100 was a steal. I go to them all the time, 3 times a week to be precise, only the 1st time ive ever seen a 172 there though.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Its always a little bit of a gamble,but if you prepaired to take a risk then go for it.It will only end up on someones fourcourt for twice the price

visualize whirled pe
Auctions offer a good way to buy, but you have to be pretty clued up!
Agreed. I agree with Ali too.

I'd really have to trust my judgement or I'd be thinking, even with a fsh and mot etc, will it drive rubbish or sound like a tin of nails being shook when I drive it back. I guess it's part luck too.

If you've got a bargain though, well done.

Most of the cars at auction ( not including the ringers here ) are there due to dealers not being able to sell them.

They have stipulations like age and miles, so if its too old say above 3/4 years old, miles are above say 40k then they will just trade it.

Oh and if its a fiat and the dealer sells renaults etc.