ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wet Sanding

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Right, I plan on doing a wets sand correction on my car within the next couple of weeks. I plan to go up throught the grades from 1500 to 3000 by hand then using the DA for 4000. I know this will take time etc but it's good practce and something I want to get into as i've done little of it before.

I'm going to need a lot of paper no doubt, where's the best place, ebay seems to be a bit of a p*ss take from first glance. Haven't spoke to my local paint supplier yet but i'll do that tomorrow. I have 6'', 4'' and 2'' backing plates for my DA so I should be good with that, only sourced the 2" discs so far though.

I'll do a little write up with pics etc once i'm done. Just after a little advice for now and where I can get the paper and resonable prices.

I will probably do a panel at a time because of the length of time this will take if I do it properly as it may have to be spread out over the course of a few days.

I realise it's hard to get an even finish etc and i've done alot of research on detailing world over the past 6 months about it, watched plenty of videos and spoken to few people in the know so hopefully i'm up for the challenge.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
FLOL !

I'm off to buy one of these at lunch..

popcorn.JPG

Honda & VW
Good luck with it, by all accounts its not an easy task and most wouldn't even entertain trying it on anything other than a scrap panel

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
FLOL !

I'm off to buy one of these at lunch..

Cheeky git, I've done a bit before and I didn't bugger them up lol

Good luck with it, by all accounts its not an easy task and most wouldn't even entertain trying it on anything other than a scrap panel

Cheers, I have a couple of scrap panels i've been going up to 200grit on, so far half an old bonnet, 2 mirrors and dented sh*t wing.

Cheers Eddie.

No 2/2.5k?

Yes mate I worded it wrong, I will be working up from 1500 to 2000 to 2500, 3000 then 4000.

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Ive done a ph1 roof, that took an age! Try Alex at elite car care for the paper

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Haha!

I'll be using Luke's old trophy bonnet to try out as well. may aswell make use of it. I also have a fiesta metallic black wing I can use with th DA My paint is a lot thicker so I should be ok.

Last edited:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Don't use 1500 on parts that have just been painted recently. It won't have cured enough, you'll get pigtails. Ooher!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Cheers mate, I think i'll be doing very little to the freshly painted parts as they're a lot less orange peeled than the original ones.

I will be getting my pictures up this week of the car so you can abuse my painter ;)

I'd still stay away from DA sanding. You're not after a quick fix like a dealer and I for one see a massive difference in feeling out scratches/paint repairs by hand.

Abarth 500
Hope you don't mind me asking, but you're wanting correction and thus are wet sanding, why? You don't need to wet sand to correct paintwork? 3 or 4 stages of polishing over the same number of days should be all you need for true correction (none of this "correction in a day" that many detailers speak of). Or am I missing something?

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I think he's more after removing the orange peel effect to the paintwork? Correct me if i'm wrong but it would have to be very aggressive polishing to remove that and therefore potentially remove more microns of paint?

Fiesta ST-2 Finsport
Hang it out for a bit, im currently wet sanding (by DA and hand) and writing up a projects thread on my BG! :)

Chris
DetailMe

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Flol! I thought it was the same person for a minute there! Oh my!

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
If you want to try it on a car and not spare panels, Try on the rear quarters on my valver ;) I've seen oranges with less orange peel!! Lol!

Yup that's my name from DW too. JD are you a pro?

Chris

I recognise it, Chris. Sadly not. I dabbled in semi-Pro for a few years in the same way that Russ@MCC started off, i.e. all the gear and the right idea/insured/weekends. Full time role and moving to London kicked that into touch :dapprove:

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
can this get pig tails out?

my bonnet is covered in them, gracefully explained by who ever said dont use 1500 on fresh/new paint :eek:

Abarth 500
These are pig tails btw, incase anyone was wondering what they actually are. Frequently found on Aston's, like this DBS..

IMG_4894.jpg

But they do come out, without any sanding (as that's what causes them, sanding by DA)

IMG_4903.jpg

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
yup thats what i have. new paint - da'd the day after and compounded up. intentions was to make a mirror finish. the bonnet is the only panel i can still see them on. altho mine look more tightly packed then the ones in that photo above.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
That's of course how the Astons end up that way, they have "soft" paint but they always want high finish so sand the orange peel, to the detriment of the car of course.

A recent DB9 I looked at was actually very well finished but possibly detailed earlier in life.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
think any other car a paint myself, i will wet flat by hand to remove most orange peel.

suppose its all down to how you paint the car aswell. high bar pressure gives orange peel from my experiance.

and as you said gally, the finish is dictated by the level of ' solidness '