ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What am I missing?! Steering rack

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Been racking my brains and I can't work out where I've went wrong with this...

I've retained my vans original EPA's rack, it's not been removed neither has the subframe or column.

Because I'm running 182 widetrack I'm also running a pair of genuine track rods and rod ends.

I'm getting more lock turning right than I am turning left?!
IMG_20191229_154420.jpg
IMG_20191229_154335.jpg

What have I missed?! 😂

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Equal amount of turns from centre to left lock and centre to right lock?
Nope 1 full turn left, 1.75 right.

I'm assuming it must have always been like that and I've never noticed before the engine conversion?! I didn't think there would be enough movement in the tie rods to correct that?!

Will get it up on a ramp for a play and see!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
You'll have one of the limiting collars removed mate

Or you've fucked up when re-fitting the rack to the column?

Get a pic of both the wheels when the steering wheel is at top dead centre

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like it's been off at some point.

Ideally you need to measure the rack under the boots and get it equal both sides and then unlink the column and align the wheel straight again.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
You'll have one of the limiting collars removed mate

Or you've fucked up when re-fitting the rack to the column?

Get a pic of both the wheels when the steering wheel is at top dead centre
I've never had it off just left all the van EPA's in place.

All That been off is the squib and steering wheel.

Is the limiting collar the plastic spacer that the track rod sits against when tight?

Currently I've got, wheel straight, wheels both tracked straight but only one turn left, 1.75turn right
Sounds like it's been off at some point.

Ideally you need to measure the rack under the boots and get it equal both sides and then unlink the column and align the wheel straight again.
Yeah you might be onto somthing there! Job for a ramp I'm getting too old for rolling about under it lol

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It looks quite far out to where either the wrong trade rod has been used or it's out half a turn on the column
It's 2x genuine Renault 182 track rods which my understanding is should be fine for a DCi rack on a 182.

That would make sense with being 180 out and possibly been like that since before I had it as I've never touched the rack on it!

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
It's 2x genuine Renault 182 track rods which my understanding is should be fine for a DCi rack on a 182.

That would make sense with being 180 out and possibly been like that since before I had it as I've never touched the rack on it!
Yeah I'd presume that its 180 out. How many turns did each track rod end take?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I'd presume that its 180 out. How many turns did each track rod end take?
off the top of my head no idea ill check it out tomorrow afternoon,

wouldn't the steering angle sensor have thrown up some warning if it had been 180 out for so long? I don't remember noticing a massively better turning circle one way than the other lol

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
off the top of my head no idea ill check it out tomorrow afternoon,

wouldn't the steering angle sensor have thrown up some warning if it had been 180 out for so long? I don't remember noticing a massively better turning circle one way than the other lol
Nah because if you lock the wheel in place and then just throw the rack at the car like a shaved chimp it will still bolt up