ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What an epic day!

2004 Racing Blue 182
Left my house at 8:30 yesterday morning, joined the M62 heading east, all the way to the A1M heading north, left that at Ripon and began one of the best days behind the wheel of a car I’ve ever experienced.

I left the motorway and began heading into the Yorkshire Dales. I picked up the A6108 from Ripon and went through Masham and took a quick stop in Middleham for a couple photos of the car.

c6bc80144be143a78e42eaf2280121ba.jpg

1d6b63434d24f0fae1f4d8561a10ed09.jpg

Back in the car, up towards Leyburn where I decided I needed to stop for food. I stoped for a lovely hot chocolate and a cooked breakfast at Berry’s dam shop. The sausages were lovely [emoji1303]

After I’d fully refuels my belly, back on the road and picked up the A684. This was a truly brilliant road. A lovely mixture of sweeping bends, right technical bits, and some straights to make progress.

I headed through Wensley, straight through Aysgarth and followed it to Hawes. I then turned off and headed towards Ingleton on the B6255.

This was an interesting stretch of road. I don’t recall climbing into the Dales at this point, but the temperature dropped by a few degrees, there was snow on the hills and a track of snow running between the tyres of the car! Loads of standing water too from the melting snow. Have to say, the Uniroyals that are fitted to the car, which I’ve been quite critical of since buying it properly outdid themselves here, nothing but grip was on offer, I was driving the road slower than I would’ve if it was clear, but still pressing on more than I had any right to in those conditions. Nothing but confidence inspiring.

I had a quick stop in the sideways rain to admire the Ribblehead Viaduct. One of my favourite structures. It’s just mind boggling to imagine the planning and manual labour and dangers the people must’ve faced building such a massive thing in the 1870s!!!

8e03e62335ca8abd5dc4c7a5ed6cadd5.jpg

Back in the car and on towards Ingleton. Had a quick stop here to catch up with some emails and what not, then jumped on the A65. This is where my journey wasn’t so cracking. The road itself is great, but too much traffic and not enough overtaking opportunities saw me getting a little frustrated and when the road widens out to 3 lanes, I made a sensible, but impatient overtake, and pretty sure I had my photo takes by the local plod! Bugger! The stupid thing is, in August 2015, I did exactly the same thing on exactly the same piece of road on my Ninja 600 and got 3pts and £100 fine for my troubles! I’ll never learn [emoji35]

So from here I was properly wound up with myself, so pulled off for 5 mins and calmed down.

I rejoined the road and took the B6478 to Wigglesworth, then onto Forest Becks Brow all the way to the A59. Had a play with another 182 here, then onto Preston, into Leyland to put some VPower in the car, then to Southport to see my uncle’s new bike.

All in all a cracking day out (apart from the probably speeding ticket).

D11CUP was unbelievably brilliant on those roads. Never once did I feel like I was in danger of losing grip or Nat able to take a corner, it just cracked on and made me feel like I was on a Rally Special Stage at one point! Fantastic car. Neither my previous EP3 Type R nor my Mk5 GTi made me feel even remotely as happy as I did yesterday. And as another plus point. I returned an average of 32mpg over the whole day! That was way more than the type r could ever get! the golf got that if i was being sensible, but the clio just surprises me every time i get in it!

Sorry for the massive post, but this is about the only place that ‘get it’. My wife likes fast cars, but wouldn’t ever just go for a drive. And most of my car friends have gone the family route [emoji23]

TL:smiley:R, great roads, great car, free photo on its way from Lancs Plod [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great write up and photos matey.

Car looks awesome as ever :)

Sorry to hear about the police - fingers crossed for you.

2004 Racing Blue 182
Great write up and photos matey.

Car looks awesome as ever :smile:

Sorry to hear about the police - fingers crossed for you.

I'll be amazed if I get anything but points and a fine mate. I hit the anchors, but i reckon he already had me by the time i reacted. I reckon I was doing just enough to edge out of speed awareness territory.

Civic type r fk8
Good drive out that, you were near the butter tubs pass at hawes, Defo a must if you near hawes again, was there a few weeks ago

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Loved driving the B6255 in mine last November.
IMG_4646.JPG

I did the buttertubs pass on the same trip. I enjoyed it but thought it was a little short (about 15 minutes end to end).

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
cracking little write up

been too long since I've just been for a drive out tbh, may of inspired me next time i have a free day!

2004 Racing Blue 182
Cheers guys

Still awaiting the reply to let me know what my punishment is!

Need another road trip, just waiting on the weather to change for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk